• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tomorrow is the Big Day!!!

My VSG surgery is scheduled for 10 a.m. tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous. I have had a lot of surgeries in my life, so I'm not too worried about the surgery itself. It's the pain management and mostly the 6 week regiment following the surgery that have me nervous. I feel ready for this next chapter of my life.

Good luck to everyone else having surgery this week.

I have had a challenging time getting my protein and fluids in. I'm feeling better today, so hopefully I'll reach them. I have had some bouts of nausea and pain, and I feel so run down. I understand this is normal and will pass quickly. The only other time I have had no appetite is when I had a severe case of pancreatitis. It's a weird experience.

Just do the best you can to meet your protein and water goals. Its very difficult this early in to fully meet those goals. I don't know what your goals are but my team immediately was like 80g protein and 64oz of water. Which was near impossible.
It IS crazy to not be hungry at all isn't it?!?

They told me protein and water are the most important. Because I wasn't hungry, I relied on a 15 min timer, and reset it everytime I took my 2 oz drink. wrote it down too. Measure each drink, and record everytime so you know you aren't missing anything, then just count your totals at the end of the day. Everything is fluid at the beginning, they told me protein shakes counted as fluids also, focused on reaching my 60g or more protein and 64 oz or more of fluids. Phase 2 and 3 are harder to get all the fluids in because of the addition of meals that break up the day and upset my tummy more than the liquids did. Ask about your vitamins/meds as well with your surgeon's office and make sure you are spreading everything out well to prevent nausea as much as possible and provide good absorption. I am over 2 months post-op and so glad I did this, even when there are hard times.

How are you doing?

Back