• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tomorrow is the big day!

Yay! Take some deep breaths and just focus on the present tonight. Feel your body and make note of it's size and texture. Tell yourself you're beautiful already and this is to make you stronger and healthier. Forgive yourself and express gratitude for all that you've accomplished to this point. You've come all this way - you've got this!

I was only in the hospital for 1 night. I got home around 1:00 in the afternoon the next day. It’s so hard to get 60g of protein, not to mention 48-64 oz of water... especially with how much I’m sleeping. I make sure to get up and walk every 1-2 hours. I know it will get easier as the days go on. Just trying to keep a positive attitude and stay on top of my meds.

Meg, every day gets a little easier. Getting to your protein and water goals is so hard during that first week of clear liquid, especially. I had bought a bunch of protein water, but at 15 to 20 grams per bottle, there was no way I could drink all that. I sent my husband out to GNC to grab me Isopure Zero Carb, which has 40g of protein in 20oz. Honestly, I didn't love the flavor (I got lemonade) but I did get my protein in. So you might want to try that.

Meg, every day gets a little easier. Getting to your protein and water goals is so hard during that first week of clear liquid, especially. I had bought a bunch of protein water, but at 15 to 20 grams per bottle, there was no way I could drink all that. I sent my husband out to GNC to grab me Isopure Zero Carb, which has 40g of protein in 20oz. Honestly, I didn't love the flavor (I got lemonade) but I did get my protein in. So you might want to try that.
Thank you Missy... I’m going to check that out!

Meg, Are you on the purée plan? If so, you can get the 94% fat free cream of mushroom soup and add a scoop of unflavored protein powder. My favorite is Unjury. I’ve tried many brands and had to throw them away because of the chalky texture and awful taste. You can try refried beans. I lived off from them in the purée and soft stages.

Thank you Kayleigh! I’m still on liquids and will be for about another week then I’m on the purée diet for 2 weeks. But I can eat creamy soups as long as I strain them so I will have to try that soup! Retried beans are on my list to buy once I start purée!
Campbell's fat-free cream of chicken tastes to me just like the full fat version. I made jello every other day and that was basically my diet for 2 weeks lol. 3479

Meg, I`m new to this group.. how are you doing now? Any tips?,.... how was your pain? how do you feel??
Hi KirstyBrii! Welcome! I’m feeling great! Two weeks out from surgery tomorrow. Pain was manageable as long as I was staying on top of it. Only took pain meds for 5 days then just Tylenol. By that time I was just sore. Had terrible heartburn that was keeping me up all night. But starting the purée diet and taking additional heartburn medication before bed did the trick! Walking everyday has been great for the recovery process... mentally & physically.
KristyBrii, where are you in the process of weight loss surgery? Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. You’ll find this group is made up of many wonderful people at different stages in their journey! So glad you joined us!

Was it hard to do the diet before and after? Im kind of panicking about that. As of right now Im waiting for my pre op visit and then im sure they will tell me to start my liquid diet.. my actual surgery is 3-9-21...... I have no idea what im in for.. so forgive me if i ask you questions a long side of your surgery journey.. i am truly happy for you....

My surgeon did not require me to do a liquid diet before surgery. For 2 weeks prior, I had to eat a strict 1000 calorie diet and I tracked everything using the my fitness pal app. I know a lot of people are required to do a liquid diet and I can imagine that’s pretty tough. After surgery , the liquid diet is not hard because you’re not really hungry.

Was it hard to do the diet before and after? Im kind of panicking about that. As of right now Im waiting for my pre op visit and then im sure they will tell me to start my liquid diet.. my actual surgery is 3-9-21...... I have no idea what im in for.. so forgive me if i ask you questions a long side of your surgery journey.. i am truly happy for you....
All surgeons require different preop diets depending on the patient. I was too close to the 40 BMI cut off for my insurance requirements to do a liquid or reduced calorie diet. Most doctors have about the same guidelines for after surgery though since were all going through the same (for the most part) type of healing.

I had to do a full liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-surgery. My program gave us the full 2 weeks worth of meal replacements, so I think that made it easier for me. I had a protein shake for breakfast, a protein pudding for lunch and protein soup for dinner. I was also allowed to have sugar free jello and popsicles. I would 100% recommend making a meal plan/meal prepping for the 2 weeks. It's harder to stick to a plan, when you don't have the details. Meg is right about after surgery. It can be a struggle to get all your liquids in, so you're not really craving steak. :)

Back