• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Too much water?

LaurieLee

I am drinking 90-110 oz of water a day. I am PO RNY on 8/5/21. Is this too much? Is there any truth that you can stretch out your pouch with drinking too much. My doctor's nurse told me it is too much and I should only be drinking 45oz per day or I will stretch out my pouch. I don't know if that is too low. I know we are supposed to listen to our doctors but I feel that is way too low. I have always been a big water drinker and it seems like if I drink more, I lose more. Thoughts???

You can't drink too much water. Your body won't allow it. But it's unlikely youll lose more weight by drinking more water. Water will accelerate the process up to a point. But it's best to drink the amount of water your body requires, and you'll know if you're drinking too little or too much.

Try for a balance of liquid and solids, focusing first on nutrition. It's great you already enjoy water. Most people struggle to get enough to meet the minimum.

As to stretching, that is such a myth. It took years of eating large quantities of food for your stomach to enlarge to the point where it could accommodate your bigger portions. You can't shrink it, either. It's an organ, not a Hefty bag.

This kind of thinking is all part of your eating disorder. And yes, you do have one, as evidenced by your obesity. Focus on REALITY, portion size, frequency of eating, consumption of too much, fat, sugar and carbs, sedentary lifestyle, unrealistic body image, etc.

Don't let your fatbrain distract you from reality. Follow your nutritionist's guidelines and focus on building a healthy life, where your soul chooses joy over self-destruction.

Love yourself more and more people will love you.

Last edited:
Organ stretching is a ridiculous myth. It's a nonexistent threat obese people use as a fear to distract from the actual problem, which is eating too much. I grew up on a farm and saw a lot of entrails. The wall of a stomach is thick and tight, VERY hard to stretch. Even in a fish, that organ is almost impenetrable.

Please, try to focus on the factual reasons for obesity, not the exaggerations and fairy tales. Are you fat? You're eating too much and moving too little. There are other reasons, too, but stretching your stomach is NOT one of them.

A stretched-out stomach would require so much effort over so much time, it's ridiculous to imagine. And it's not a contributing factor to obesity. That's your fatbrain lying to you.

I wish people would find the facts as easy to believe as the excuses people make that end up killing them.

And if you're here, you're employing a surgical solution to the concept of a suitcase where your stomach should be. If stomach stretching was a real problem, why would we need surgery? It should just snap back to normal size when we eat less.

Just focus on getting your protein in, cutting out sugar, fat and carbs, hydrating for skin and health, moving your body and experiencing positive life experiences. Fear is a waste of time. Replace it with kind acts toward others and real, positive action-backed belief.

My doctor's nurse told me it is too much and I should only be drinking 45oz per day or I will stretch out my pouch.

Please ask this medical professional to cite a scientific source. I mean it. I'd really like to read a comprehensive, tested study proving this bullshit. I'm so sick of being lied to because I'm part of the population who experienced obesity from a eating disorder.

And since I'm 14 years post-op, I have more actual knowledge and experience in this regard than this nurse does.

Nutritional guidelines support 6 to 8 glasses of water for basic daily hydration needs. Water isn't solid and can't stretch anything. And it succumbs quickly to gravity, in nature as well as your body. Just try to hold it in longer than your kidneys and bladder will allow. Just try!

Water is more important than food. You can go weeks without food without starving, but you'll die very quickly without water.

You know, obesity is a protected bias that's every bit as deadly as racism. Society allows open abuse and prejudice against people who are fat. I've been on both sides of the scale and can testify to the discrimination. We need to take that bias out of the equation. Abuse of a person based on size is just as painful as any other physical, sexual or racial bias.

Back