• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Yeledov

Okay so I feel like a complete a** for feeling concerned about this but…am I losing too much, too fast?
So here is the low-down. In my 15 days of pre-op diet I lost 22 lb. I’m 12 days post op now and I I’ve lost 11 more pounds. So in 27 days, I’ve lost 33 lb. Great, right? Fantastic? It just seems so much faster than I was told to expect. Maybe it’s just my pessimistic nature. Things have been absolutely perfect. I hit my hydration goals every day. I’ve had one mild bout of nausea that I think was a touch of dumping syndrome, but really mild. I’m keeping the full liquid diet down. I only just started recording calories and protein. (My program doesn’t require that the first 2 weeks post op. They just focus on water.) The 3 days I’ve been recording that stuff. I never get more than 650 calories a day but I’m hitting about 60 grams of protein. I know this all sounds like I’m having the perfect experience. I feel kinda guilty about even feeling weird about losing significantly more weight than expected. But 33 lb is just so unexpected.
So, has anyone else had such a dramatic loss so early? Could this be because I have so very much to lose? Or have you had this kind of emotional whiplash to success?
Also, I have a follow up with my dietitian on Friday so I’ll get to talk to her about all this too. And hopefully get to move on the purée!

You had a pretty strict pre-op so I can certainly see why you have lost so much in such a short time prior. There's much that can come into play with how fast or slow one loses. First off men lose faster than women, right ladies? And yes, the more you have to lose the quicker it will come off. Some people struggle right after surgery with slow weight loss because they have water retention from the surgery. I was one of those, having had some complications and needing 3 surgeries within 3 weeks time I had so much edema that my clothes didn't fit. (But that was a very rare complication, lucky me. :confused: ) Consider yourself fortunate but definitely bring it up when you go on Friday because all concerns should be addressed by medical personnel. Most of all, never feel bad about asking any question in this group!!!

Okay so I feel like a complete a** for feeling concerned about this but…am I losing too much, too fast?
So here is the low-down. In my 15 days of pre-op diet I lost 22 lb. I’m 12 days post op now and I I’ve lost 11 more pounds. So in 27 days, I’ve lost 33 lb. Great, right? Fantastic? It just seems so much faster than I was told to expect. Maybe it’s just my pessimistic nature. Things have been absolutely perfect. I hit my hydration goals every day. I’ve had one mild bout of nausea that I think was a touch of dumping syndrome, but really mild. I’m keeping the full liquid diet down. I only just started recording calories and protein. (My program doesn’t require that the first 2 weeks post op. They just focus on water.) The 3 days I’ve been recording that stuff. I never get more than 650 calories a day but I’m hitting about 60 grams of protein. I know this all sounds like I’m having the perfect experience. I feel kinda guilty about even feeling weird about losing significantly more weight than expected. But 33 lb is just so unexpected.
So, has anyone else had such a dramatic loss so early? Could this be because I have so very much to lose? Or have you had this kind of emotional whiplash to success?
Also, I have a follow up with my dietitian on Friday so I’ll get to talk to her about all this too. And hopefully get to move on the purée!
Every program is different- stages of eating, amounts of calories and protein per day. Hang in there till Friday and talk with your nutritionist. Are you feeling ok? Not weak or sick? If you don’t feel ok then I would call sooner. I’m betting you’re like most of us, struggling with weight loss. So Enjoy!!

You aren't out of the norm. I lost 28 pounds in four weeks (two weeks pre-op, two weeks post-surgery), and then another 22 the following four weeks, and then it settled in around 10 a month for a while. Everyone has a different path though. Some people start out slow, and some people take off like a rocket. Keep following your post-op guidelines and things should be good. Obviously, if you aren't feeling well or have concerns at any point don't hesitate to reach out to your surgeon's office.

All you lucky people!!!!! I have only lost 26 pounds in almost 3 months but adding before and after together I am a bit over 60 pounds down and lots of jean sizes so I am going slowly but moving in the right directions. so I will take that. Still have a bit of envy or a lot of envy. I guess I am stuck with my own challenges. (at least I am not going up)

I attribute my large loss the first month to 2 things. One is that I stayed on the liquid diet an extra week with permission from my surgeon because my husband was gone for work, and I wanted to make sure he was home in case the transition to puréeds didn’t go well. The other is that I had my gallbladder out at the same time as the bypass, so I was doing “extra” healing and definitely feeling zero hunger. Once I hit the 4 week mark I started having hunger sensations again.

All you lucky people!!!!! I have only lost 26 pounds in almost 3 months but adding before and after together I am a bit over 60 pounds down and lots of jean sizes so I am going slowly but moving in the right directions. so I will take that. Still have a bit of envy or a lot of envy. I guess I am stuck with my own challenges. (at least I am not going up)
Be proud of every single pound that you lose. Also, I have heard that if you lose a lot prior to surgery you probably won't see a big amount of weight loss just after surgery. But remember, slow and steady is healthy. And going down in jean sizes is awesome!

I agree, I think as long as you are feeling okay you should celebrate every lost pound! I won't be doing the preop diet, so I won't have that benefit of that quick preop weight loss. Also, because my BMI is just barely over 35 (I am struggling to keep it there) I expect my weight loss to be a bit more sluggish. Keeping my expectations low, will help me not to be discouraged if I don't lose much at first, and excited if I do!

Back