• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Transfer Addiction

Bonwon

It has been 3 years since my surgery. This past year I have taken a liking to gambling online and can't seem to stop. I have done some reading and now understand that I may be suffering from transfer addiction. Has anyone else had a similar problem and do you have any suggestions as to where I can get support? This is my first time on this site. Thanks for any help.

Yes me.now my heads explodinding with ideas.how to get help from trading one hook for another.i don't want to say too much. I'm writing under inspiration right now. sis.
It has been 3 years since my surgery. This past year I have taken a liking to gambling online and can't seem to stop. I have done some reading and now understand that I may be suffering from transfer addiction. Has anyone else had a similar problem and do you have any suggestions as to where I can get support? This is my first time on this site. Thanks for any help.

Yes,me.first things first.
now my heads exploding with ideas.
how to get help from trading one addiction hook for another.
i don't want to say too much.
I'm writing under inspiration right now. sis.

I'm going to wait another moment before I leave,I rarely come on this site I just happen to check my email and I saw this question whoever you are please 3x don't quit! I lost 75 lbs before I wanted to try again, think of yourself like the super military guy i saw on line without the curse words or like rocky,but don't quit! sis.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Now that you recognize the addiction, what steps can you make to stop, gamblers anonymous, 1800betsoff? Do you have a support system to help keep you in check? I am still in prep for my gastric bypass, but I’ve already warned my support system of the addiction transfer possibility. I know someone who went from eating addiction to drinking. She still hasn’t recognized her addiction transfer and while I can say things, it won’t help until she sees that there’s a problem. You’ve recognized it, so that’s great. Tell us about your surgery related victories. I’d also like to add how brave it is of you to put yourself out there with a group of strangers.

Last edited:
So far I am very happy with my surgery success. Because I have Crohn's Disease, I could not have the full blown gastric bypass. They would only do the sleeve surgery where they remove a great portion of the stomach. I lost 100 lbs and am feeling great as far as the weight loss but I have lots more to lose and have been at a standstill for a long time. I have a couple of options that I am looking at which includes going back on the full liquid diet for 2-4 weeks. They are also going to reconsider the bypass surgery since I have been in remission for almost 2 years. However, I feel I must seek some kind of support system for the gambling addiction first. I am faithfully checking out local outpatient groups and plan on contacting Gambler Anonymous. I prefer something I can do myself without having to do outpatient treatment because of the coronavirus threat. As far as the surgery, I applaud you for taking the steps to do that. I think it is a great thing, especially for us people who just have had trouble losing the weight by other means. I wish you the best. If you do everything they tell you to do, you will do fine. Best of luck and I look forward to future post and updates from you.

What I found helps is
reading about health,exercise much as I can staying in contact with people who are in my corner as much as I can
and I learned some wonderful things about other people and judging them that is
I looked at their outside appearances and jumped to the wrong conclusions
in the wrong directions.
the people I thought would support me with no hesitation,or problems, didn't

and people I thought had sized me up came to their own conclusions/convictions I was as wrong as could be gave me something i never discovered before-- unconditional support,love, fellowship, i met great/ not perfect human beings.
brotherhood/sisterhood acceptance.sis.

So far I am very happy with my surgery success. Because I have Crohn's Disease, I could not have the full blown gastric bypass. They would only do the sleeve surgery where they remove a great portion of the stomach. I lost 100 lbs and am feeling great as far as the weight loss but I have lots more to lose and have been at a standstill for a long time. I have a couple of options that I am looking at which includes going back on the full liquid diet for 2-4 weeks. They are also going to reconsider the bypass surgery since I have been in remission for almost 2 years. However, I feel I must seek some kind of support system for the gambling addiction first. I am faithfully checking out local outpatient groups and plan on contacting Gambler Anonymous. I prefer something I can do myself without having to do outpatient treatment because of the coronavirus threat. As far as the surgery, I applaud you for taking the steps to do that. I think it is a great thing, especially for us people who just have had trouble losing the weight by other means. I wish you the best. If you do everything they tell you to do, you will do fine. Best of luck and I look forward to future post and updates from you.
100 lb loss is an amazing accomplishment! I think looking for an out patient program during these crazy times is a great idea.

Back