• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Transferring pre-operative care to another state?

Zephyr

Hey folks, I was just wondering if anyone might know something about a few questions I have. I'm currently in California, and I might be moving to Washington for a new job. I'm about a month into the surgery process, just working on losing those first few pounds to qualify for surgery. How would transferring care to another state go? Has anyone done this or heard of someone doing it? Would I need to start my 6month wait period over, or would the transfer be pretty seamless? Is it even possible to transfer the healthcare to another state?

Any info appreciated! Thanks :)

Hey folks, I was just wondering if anyone might know something about a few questions I have. I'm currently in California, and I might be moving to Washington for a new job. I'm about a month into the surgery process, just working on losing those first few pounds to qualify for surgery. How would transferring care to another state go? Has anyone done this or heard of someone doing it? Would I need to start my 6month wait period over, or would the transfer be pretty seamless? Is it even possible to transfer the healthcare to another state?

Any info appreciated! Thanks :)
Hi Zephyr, I think these issues would be dependent on 1) your insurance and 2) the surgery center. If you are changing insurance companies, maybe check with the new one.

I think the biggest thing is if your insurance is changing. If so, insurance companies vary in what their requirements are. Some insurance companies don't make you wait the 6 months. If you will still have the same insurance company, you could give them a call and ask. Good luck!

I think the biggest thing is if your insurance is changing. If so, insurance companies vary in what their requirements are. Some insurance companies don't make you wait the 6 months. If you will still have the same insurance company, you could give them a call and ask. Good luck!

Ok! thank you for the advice. The insurance change was my biggest concern. I guess I will just have to vet jobs based on health insurance! Thanks to everyone for the input :)

If you do move to WA, I HIGHLY recommend Swedish bariatric in Seattle! They are incredible!

Seattle is kinda famous for its incredible medical facilities. I had my RYGB at Virginia Mason, before there were bariatric clinics. Great place, and Swedish has a renowned sleep clinic.

Almost all hospitals and clinics are wired into the University of Washington, one of the best medical research facilities in the world. I have made arrangements to donate my cadaver to them. I was chosen to be in a UW 7-year post-op study after RYGB.

Harborview is THE trauma center for the PNW. But it's not a good place for continuing care. Doctors constantly rotate and it's not designed to support a journey like the one you'll be on for bariatric treatment.

My doc, Lisa Britton, is with Franciscan-Virginia Mason. I've been seeing her more than 15 years, before Franciscan. She refers me outside the network when I ask or when needed.

Pretty much anyplace on Pill Hill will be a good bet.

Back