• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trouble during phase 2

I had no problems during phase 1 and lost 20 lbs. However, I started Phase 2 (pureed) Monday and I am having a very hard time. I had gastric bypass. After I eat I start to have very bad abdominal pain, I get hot and sweaty, nauseous, lightheaded and eventually throw up. After I throw up I feel fine. I measure but could I be eating too much? Thought I was drinking to soon after eating so I make sure to wait. This evening I had a few sips of a protein drink and the symptoms began. I have had bowel movements. Worried I am not getting my protein in. Plus I haven't lost an ounce. Had anyone had anything similar?

I also has some problems going to foods. I did stay on the liquid longer than I needed to. I didn't start the pureed foods until I could get the shakes down. at least one a day with out getting sick. I stared with watering the shake down I will tell you now it did not taste good at all but the thinner seemed to work better. Try another kind and see if that helps. I have been told on this site to try the protein water I did not because by the time I was going to go out to the store I was able to drink the shake. I know when you are not feeling well this all feels like a long time. But when you are on the other side and can get the shake/food down it will not feel like it took that long. I am also going to guess you are filling up too much or too fast. I did do a 1/2 cup of food and never ate all of it (still do not all the time) but I ate very slowly. I eat my 1/2 cup still for about 20 to 30 min. I am 3 months out and still get sick mostly when I am not thinking about what I am doing when eating. Good luck !!! You got this work on this slowly.

I would try eating just a spoonful or a forkful or two at a time. Take it real slow and see if it settles okay. Then maybe 15 minutes later try a little more. That might help you figure out if the volume is the problem. Definitely wait 30 minutes to drink as that is very important early on. In the early stages some people lose fast but some don't. Your body is adjusting to the surgery you just had and doesn't want to burn calories it thinks it needs. Frustrating as that is, that will change. Have you experimented with different protein drinks? Maybe the particular brand you are drinking doesn't agree with you. Above all else, don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor, only he/she will know if there is anything to be concerned about.

I would try eating just a spoonful or a forkful or two at a time. Take it real slow and see if it settles okay. Then maybe 15 minutes later try a little more. That might help you figure out if the volume is the problem. Definitely wait 30 minutes to drink as that is very important early on. In the early stages some people lose fast but some don't. Your body is adjusting to the surgery you just had and doesn't want to burn calories it thinks it needs. Frustrating as that is, that will change. Have you experimented with different protein drinks? Maybe the particular brand you are drinking doesn't agree with you. Above all else, don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor, only he/she will know if there is anything to be concerned about.
This is what I really need to learn and I am having a hard time. I eat too fast and then have pain. And I drink to often!! Too used to drinking during dinner. I think the lifestyle changes are harder than the diet.

After surgery it is a learning experience. Sometimes I think more after care with the team would be helpful, even if it is a phone call to check in on a person.I think covid has made this journey harder without all the supports in place. This site has made the best difference for me.

I had no problems during phase 1 and lost 20 lbs. However, I started Phase 2 (pureed) Monday and I am having a very hard time. I had gastric bypass. After I eat I start to have very bad abdominal pain, I get hot and sweaty, nauseous, lightheaded and eventually throw up. After I throw up I feel fine. I measure but could I be eating too much? Thought I was drinking to soon after eating so I make sure to wait. This evening I had a few sips of a protein drink and the symptoms began. I have had bowel movements. Worried I am not getting my protein in. Plus I haven't lost an ounce. Had anyone had anything similar?
It’s called dumping. Google it. It’s caused from eating too much or sugary foods usually.
also found out that week 3-4 is when we go into a Plateau. Mine lasted for 5 days same weight everyday. Finally lost 2 lbs today.
hopefully it’s over. They will happen again it’s temporary.

This is what I really need to learn and I am having a hard time. I eat too fast and then have pain. And I drink to often!! Too used to drinking during dinner. I think the lifestyle changes are harder than the diet.
Not drinking water with meals is the most challenging thing for me. I've always been a big water drinker, and that 30 min wait after a meal is really tough. I guess eventually I'll not have to wait so long, but for now I feel like I'm in the desert!

It's hard to figure out the correct amount of food for your body for those first few months after surgery. Your stomach is not fully healed yet and can only hold very small amounts. Hang in there. Try a tablespoon. If that doesn't make you sick, next time try 2T. My WLS team suggested eating every few hours in the beginning, so I figured even if I only had a tablespoon, I could eat again in like 2 hours. I still eat at pretty regular intervals. I'd rather eat 6 small things than try to eat 3 larger meals a day and get sick.

It’s called dumping. Google it. It’s caused from eating too much or sugary foods usually.
also found out that week 3-4 is when we go into a Plateau. Mine lasted for 5 days same weight everyday. Finally lost 2 lbs today.
hopefully it’s over. They will happen again it’s temporary.
They tell me I will lose 50% of my weight and I just don't see that happening with the way I am going

After surgery it is a learning experience. Sometimes I think more after care with the team would be helpful, even if it is a phone call to check in on a person.I think covid has made this journey harder without all the supports in place. This site has made the best difference for me.
I am in the same boat as you are with after care. Move over and give me an oar in your row boat.

Back