• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trouble

Here I am, 11 years post RNY. I lost 80 pounds. I slowly gained 25 pounds over 9 years. Then I gained the COVID 19. Then 1 year ago I had a hip replaced. 5 months after that I got breast cancer. Then radiation. Then gained 10 more pounds. I guess I thought eating was the answer. I am still 45 under max weight, I don’t think the numbers add up. I had the bariatric surgery in CA, now live in WA. I lost my support group when I moved. I need it.

You’ve been through a lot! Are you still receiving cancer treatment? Give yourself some grace with everything else you have going on. We’re all here for you. It’s not quite the same as an in person support group, but we’ve got your back all the same.

Welcome to the group Judith! This is a wonderful support group filled with people who are at all stages from pre-op to way beyond post-op. The good news is that you did not gain all the weight back and that you have come here to get yourself back on track.

You've been through quite a bit so try to give yourself some grace for the regain. I had been struggling these past several months but got myself back on track by going back to the basics starting by journaling my food intake, making sure my water and protein levels are where they should be and reading self help books and/or watching videos that help me to refocus.

I wish you good luck and good health!

Hi, Judith. Welcome to the group. I think anyone who has struggled with weight can understand your thinking food is the answer. It's called comfort food for a reason, right? You have dealt with a LOT and should be proud that you've kept so much of it off over such a long period of time, especially in those times of great adversity. So, yes, give yourself some grace and refocus toward your goal. You've proven you're strong enough to do it.

Absolutely true what everyone said here. You have gone through so much and still have the strength to reach out to this group for the support we all need as we face our struggles.

Congrats on maintaining a great amount of your weight loss. You will find so much caring & nonjudgmental support as you work to get back on track. Best of luck.

This is a great place for support. It is open 24/7. You can vent, you can share, and we listen. This is for life and you have stories, that we can hear. Setbacks take time. Hang in there take small steps if you have to. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for. Forgive yourself, You are worth it.

I briefly attended an in-person group at the hospital that was open to post- and pre-ops. It was awful. I swear, the pre-ops and their mates spent the whole time STARING at me and a few others who were on the other side. I don't think they had a concept of what would come.

So I went it alone until I found this group. I was alone at first, them MamaBear showed up and we hit it off and anytime a newbie showed up, they stayed, and the group just grew. Hundreds of people came, and some stayed for years. Most just wanted to ask questions, then moved on. Many are sorely missed.

But wonderful people keep arriving and staying, and there's a core group of committed, smart people who've made this group the BEST place to come for support. (you know who you are!)

We're REAL for you, and you're safe. Stay and become a mentor for the next newbie. we are big and powerful. I check this group daily, before I even open emails.

A support group only works if people stick around. That's the beauty of this online group. And being online makes confession easier.

I love everyone here, new and old. I'm so grateful. Welcome, and know we're here for you.

Back