• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Try out Audio books

gzar

About 3 years ago I decided to try out audio books at the urging of a couple coworkers who bragged about being able to enjoy driving long distances by listening to books. The suggestion came after listening to me complain about not having any good radio stations to listen to.

Wow, what a life changer! I no longer needed dozens of couch hours to read a book. I started off listening while I was driving to & from work, about 30 minutes twice a day. I quickly became consumed with the story and needed much more listening time than driving allowed. So I picked up a comfortable set of earbuds and started listening while doing chores.

Whether it's weeding the flower beds, watering tomato plants, dusting the house, vacuuming or laundry...listening to a great book really makes these boring, dreadful chores fly by with what can almost be classified as overall enjoyment. I am not being facetious at all. And driving (solo, of course) is something I look forward to instead of dreading the monotonous task.

You know what else gets turned into fun while listening to books? Walking. Biking. Jogging. Okay jogging might be a push depending on how violent the struggle for air is, yes I know. But walking & listening to a book is truly enjoyable; I use 1 earbud and keep the other ear open for safety. Books aren't for weight lifting or HIIT for sure - you need some energetic motivational music...at least I do. Now that spring is here and finally getting some warm weather in the south (really been a rainy year so far) I'm listening to my books while sitting on the patio soaking in sun.

I know there's free audible book sites out there but I dont have any experience with any. This isn't a recommendation for any service, just to encourage you to try out audio books.

I use audible.com from amazon, and its a subscription costing 16 bucks per month, you get 1 free book credit per month. There is also some limited free content every month, but not much. The books I'm currently into are sci fi (Iian M Banks, Peter F Hammilton, Steven Erikson, etc) and are 20-50 hours per book so easily take a month to listen to. If you are into romance novels or westerns they typically are between 4-9 hours long so that 16 per month isn't such a great deal. I know they have a free trial so you can give it a try without risk. You can put the audible app on your phone and listen there, or on a tablet or even on your computer.

Back