• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trying but man is it hard!!

My name is Linda, I just had my gastric bypass July 9th. I find drinking all the water really hard. My doctor told me NO caffeine at all, ever, for the rest of my life because of kidney stones. Has anyone else been told this. I would like to drink decaffeinated at some point. I am here to learn tips, recipes, etc. Thanks for having me.

Hi, Linda. Welcome to the group. If you really cannot stand drinking plain water, find some flavor packets, squirts or some fruit infusions or herbal teas that you like. I was not told no caffeine ever, but I was told no pop (soda) under any circumstances. The carbonation is really hard on your pouch and can stretch it out. Many of us on here have a coffee in the morning, with a bit of protein shake or high protein milk added. I was given both green and black tea in the hospital immediately after my surgery, so my guess is that's okay too. The idea behind no caffeine is it is a diuretic, which can cause dehydration if you are not drinking enough water. I have a latte, made with homemade espresso every morning but I also drink about 80-100 oz of water a day. I also did not add coffee until I was on back on a full diet. Hope that helps.

Missy, that's the best explanation I've ever read. If anyone is wondering read and share Missy's post.

Linda, welcome. We help all we can. But if you have an obvious medical issue, call your doctor. Personally, I don't know ANYTHING about spasms. But when something seemed weird, even years later when I detected a stitch under my skin, I phoned my doc right away.

Please dont delay.

Welcome Linda! Congrats on your surgery. It is hard to get all the water in at first but little by little you will be able to handle more and more water consumption.

My doctor allows caffeine but warns that it is not to be used as your liquid intake. He actually said you need to increase your water intake more to counter balance the caffeine since it is a diuretic, just like Missy said.

Okay, I've got to start reading better and getting my mind out of the gutter, or getting better mental health care, or something. But when I read the title of this thread I swear it said "trying but my man is hard"

I thought OMG, what could that be about. I read the post, was completely stumped, then reread the title, and think I need to be banned!

Back