• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trying new foods

I’ve eaten hamburger without the buns too but I don’t know if they made me sick cause my stomach hurts almost every day. It could be from eating it too fast or not chewing enough. Almost anything I eat doesn’t sit well with me.i can’t stand protein shakes even though I have to have 2 a day. Also everything I eat tastes funny now don’t even feel like eating anymore. I’m struggling too I hate having dry mouth all the time.

Last edited:
Ground meats can tend to be drier, and I have noticed that I tend not to chew them as well because they are already ground. I tend to like beef at medium rare to combat the dryness. Can't do that with chicken or turkey patties, but I will sometimes use MCT oil in the patty to help keep moisture while cooking to appropriate temp. I have only done this with ground turkey, not chicken, but I cannot imagine it would not help chicken.

IF YOU'RE FAMILIAR with molecular gastronomy, you may have wondered how chefs make those little perfect balls of air they put on your plate, or make that cheese sauce so creamy.

i am still in early stages of self-testing, but i know you can add a teaspoon of sodium citrate to a cup of milk and cook it, then add cheese, and you'll have a perfect, smooth sauce to pour over veggies or pasta. using milk and stock, you can add SC to make gravy.

because i don't know the answers, i haven't shared here, but if you are using nonfat milk, appropriate amounts of cheese or stock, and small amounts of SC, you should be able to make a sauce that makes everything less dry and therefore, more palatable. IT'S like putting ketchup on your beef, BBQ sauce on your chicken, mayo on your tuna, but no calories.

i don't advise you use it yet, but i would love some input into this product. And here's the kicker: you're already eating it. Check the ingredients on the side panel of any casserole-type or soup or saucy type food. it's in there.

I've only tried it once and made way too much and it was inedibly salty. there are no recipes on the bag. But you can find tons of recipes online. i ended up throwing my cheese sauce out, but it showed promise. i only used water and cheese, and thickened and smoothed it with SC. i used a teaspoon, but should have used much less.

now i just have to find out more about the science of it.

but back to the subject of ketchup, mustard, gravy, etc: ... i think if you're eating a tiny amount of any wet ingredient to put moisture into a dry ingredient, it should be just fine. just make sure you measure it and read that label. don't abuse it or pretend it doesn't count. that's how you got fat in the first place.

AS WITH ANYTHING, DON'T ABUSE IT.

MEASURE IT.

COUNT THE CALORIES.

RECORD THE PROTEIN GRAMS.

TREAT IT WITH RESPECT BECAUSE IT'S POWERFUL.

but first i have to find out if it's like mono-sodium glutamate and has caused cancer in rats. when possible, unadulterate your food. and remember that milk and water are always okay for you to use when consuming a dry food.

but don't punish yourself

the purpose of this weight loss through surgery is to get you to a place where you can eat NORMALLY. yes, you will be able to eat your favorite foods in small portions in several months following surgery. you can go to a restaurant with friends and get a regular portion. take the rest home for the dog, or for another meal. i am not ashamed to carry tupperware in my totebag in which to put most of my meal before i start eating. i was ashamed back in the day when i used to say, 'hey, you gonna finish those fries? i'll take 'em."

surgery is a tool. how you use it depends on your motivation. we all start from an equal place. if we don't succeed, we need to be very honest and find the reason.

he purpose of this weight loss through surgery is to get you to a place where you can eat NORMALLY. yes, you will be able to eat your favorite foods in small portions in several months following surgery. you can go to a restaurant with friends and get a regular portion
Diane, I needed to read this today. When I read about some post surgery people not being to eat regular foods, I wonder what am I doing, but I am good about following directions (of the Dr. & nutritionist ) it's good to hear that in time, I'll be able to eat in smaller portions, foods that I really like. Who knows maybe I'll even lose my taste for them!!

My surgery was Dec 2, 2019. The chilli is simple. Ground beef, beans (kidney, white and any other beans my wife finds) and either taco seasoning or chilli powder. Put it all in the slow cooker and in 4-6 hours it's ready. It's tasty and sits well on my stomach. The amounts of beans and seasoning are to your tastes.

Back