• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Trying to convince my family to support the idea of me getting the surgery

mrs gardner

Hi my name is Crystal,
I am in the 4 month of the process before the approval for my surgery. I have kept all my food logs and lost the weight that was required of my. However my family (husband) and (son) is not on board with this. I think their fear is something may go wrong during the sugery. How can I convince them that I am doing this for health reasons.

Hi Crystal, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Just be sure your surgeon and hospital has the Award for Excellence in Bariatric Surgery. Get on line and put your surgeon's name and hospital in and see how their patients grade them. Do your homework to see what the mortality rate is for your surgeon and hospital. I researched my surgeon and found he had never lost a patient in over 2000 bariatric operations. Also on line, 100% of his patients would recommend him. Do your homework then show your family the results you found. Reassure them that you will come through this fine and will become healthier than you have been for years. Since you will most likely have this done laprascopicly, which is a much less invasive procedure, you will heal fast and pain is minimal compared to conventional surgery.

Bariatric surgery saved my life. I was sick with numerous serious health problems and now I am so much healthier than I have been for years. The surgery wasn't very painful at all, I was really surprised. My gastric bypass surgery was a life changing experience. I would do it over in a heartbeat!

Try to show your family the positive info you find on the internet and hopefully you will convince your family to stand behind you. Good Luck!!! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

This is about you and for you. They should be happy that you want to get healthy..

Ask them what their fears are.

They need to understand as do you. This is all about you, not them.

My surgeon had lost 4 people in 10 years which is better that the odds of dying from the flu. Definitely make sure your surgeon is good . My surgeon had done almost 1000 bypasses . At my top weight I could hardly walk and now I can walk
for an hour . my knees still hurt but I got a ways to go still . I hope this helps ya ..

I suggest you take them with you when you meet with your surgeon or wls team of doctors . let them ask any question they have. it is a big life style change and they need to be your support at home good luck

Back