• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

TW ED and Psych Eval

Luxp97

I was diagnosed with Bulimia when I was 14 and now I am 25. I have been in remission since Feb 2022 and started bariatric planning in March 2022. I am so worried that I won't be cleared for psych because of this. I'm part of an outpatient program and see them 3x a week for individual therapy. But still, my nerves are shot. Has anyone been denied initial due to an ED or psych?

I agree - be honest about your struggles. I think a lot of us have messed up histories with food behavior. When I saw the psychologist for my pre-op assessment, I told her straight up that I was afraid if I told her everything about eating behaviors that I would be denied. She told me her job was to make sure: a) I understood what the surgery was about and the risks/benefits involved, b) any psychiatric illness that I had was compensated and under good control and there was a plan for continuing to manage it post surgery.

Back