• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Two and a half weeks post op Gastric Sleeve

Hi All,
Had a GS two and a half weeks ago and have odd pain around my navel. Did anyone experience this? Still struggling get enough protein any suggestions. I'm vegetarian.
I had rny a yr ago, and not much pain anywhere other than a little bit at the incisions. Usually we try to remind newbies to sip sip sip all day to get in 64ozs of water, try to sip on or drink up to 2 protein shakes to get your 60g of protein, and incorporate movement - walking, marching, leg lifts & scissors etc daily. You will gradually learn to replace protein shakes with high protein foods. But even a year after surgery, I still drink 1 shake daily to ensure I'm getting enough protein in. Good luck!

I did not have very much pain after surgery, but my husband was in pain for a few weeks post-op. There was an incision in your navel, so it could just be the stitches bothering you. Ask at your post open visit,if the pain isn't had enough to call about.

Like Karen said, sip sip sip! I am assuming you are still on a liquid diet, less than 3 weeks out and have found plant based protein shakes. During puree and soft refried beans were my absolute favorite thing.

Hello :)

I had GS and gallbladder removal on May 31st. I still get a strange pain to the left of my belly button sometimes. There is no scar there and I haven't figured out a pattern with the timing. But it's a mild pain & doesn't last too long, so I'm rolling with it and will ask my surgeon at the 3 month follow up. If you're concerned, or the pain is more intense, better safe than sorry...ask your surgeon! :)

It can be a struggle to get all your protein in, I feel for you. :) What I found helpful was to get in a Routine. Made all the difference with my ADD brain. I'm guessing you're still all liquids? Perhaps create a schedule, even setting timers/alarms on your watch, including goals of so much water every hour. Similar for protein shakes and if you're taking any vitamins (which, since the surgery, I find easier to swallow with the shakes, than water). Bone broth is another great way to get protein in (I alternate...one day start my day with bone broth, the next a green smoothie). I'm trying to think of an alternative, as you're a vegetarian...maybe add protein powder to caffeine free tea, coffee or veggie broth?

After surgery I developed a dairy intolerance that I was Quite bummed about. Separate from liking cheese, the non dairy protein shakes generally have less protein than the whey protein shakes do. You mentioned being vegetarian, not vegan, but I'll tell you what I use now, just in case. :) I buy Orgain, plant based protein shakes that I get at Costco (best price I've found) and Evolve, plant based protein shakes, which are at Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc. I also have a dairy free, unflavored protein powder that I sprinkle on the food I'm cooking (when I remember, lol). I also add a sprinkle of protein powder and cinnamon to unsweetened apple sauce as a treat.

As a separate tip: If you're in a heat wave area, my absolute favorite popsicles are Outshine, No Sugar Added (1 gram total sugar). No protein, but yummo! ;) I've bought them at Walmart, Target and Safeway (local grocery store). :)

Happy healing!! :)

Back