• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Unable to digest meat

Mal44

Hey guys!

looking for afmdvice/shared experiences. I’m 2.5 months post op and I tolerate everything surprisingly well - including some of the stuff I was warned about. Had coffee, drinks, carbonated beverages, sweet and fried stuff etc - not a problem.
For those that are curious- I did get drunk faster than usual but it wasn’t some type of a disastrous experience like I was worried it would be.

there is only one issue - I CANT EAT MEAT! Which is a problem because of the high protein dietary guidelines. I was never a vegetarian/vegan. I tried so many different types - chicken, pork, Turkey, fish, shrimp. Finely chopped and in liquid- there in no way. It makes me nauseous every time. Only specifically meat. Did anybody have this issue? From what I was reading online, meat it the hardest and it takes the longest to digest - hence why it makes us feel full the longest.

yesterday my mom made me a vegetable soup with mini Turkey meatballs. It seemed that they were actually going in pretty well so I had like 4oz. Omg what did I do to myself. Maybe it was the dumping syndrome? I was so sick. It was like nausea but another level of nausea. I was throwing up for hours! Today I still feel awful. It’s not so much pain- just uncomfortable feeling like I swallowed a big rock. And I’m still nauseous.

please share if you had this experience.

So let me get this straight. You are only 2 1/2 months after surgery and you’re already eating the foods that you were advised NOT to eat? The foods that contributed to your obesity. I wish you good luck in your journey. It sounds like you will need it.
I wouldn’t say I was “eating” - let’s say I tried different things. I’m just learning what my tolerance is. Not that I really need to explain myself to anybody. I really didn’t expect this type of nasty and judgmental answer, that’s not what I came here for. People in this group support each other. Honey - maybe my diet is not perfect, but I’m not a nasty person. Good luck with your life - sounds like YOU need it cause you sound like a miserable human being

I recently got Covid and then it turned to Covid Pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. Ever since I can't do meat either except seafood (fish, crab and lobster) chicken makes me nauseous and can only tolerate tiny bites of hamburger. Try tuna with a bit of mayo that seemed to help me. Seafood does have quite a bit of protein. And so does peanut butter(no added sugar) Sorry you are going thru this hopefully it will pass.

I recently got Covid and then it turned to Covid Pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. Ever since I can't do meat either except seafood (fish, crab and lobster) chicken makes me nauseous and can only tolerate tiny bites of hamburger. Try tuna with a bit of mayo that seemed to help me. Seafood does have quite a bit of protein. And so does peanut butter(no added sugar) Sorry you are going thru this hopefully it will pass.
Thank you! I’m so sorry you got sick but I’m glad you’re ok!

I don’t have problems with meat, but I don’t do well with eggs anymore. My dietitian said that they took it off the do not eat for 6 month list right before I started with the program. I can have deviled eggs or egg salad, anything that adds fat to them. I have heard others say they have issues with meat, especially in the beginning. It might be good to find other protein sources and slowly test out meats in time.

It's unlikely (although possible) that you'll have such a big reaction to meat forever. I'm a plant-based eater and may have real meat once every couple of months if that. I do have some dairy and eggs though. It's probably a bit more difficult to be vegetarian with the bypass, but I know people who do it. I prefer to eat that way now and love the meals and food that I make, but it's not for everyone.

Supplement with other protein sources (drinks/shakes/bars, etc) if necessary and make meals with plants that have higher protein amounts such as beans. Every now and then, try a small amount of meat, if desired. I'd probably stick to small amounts of low-fat proteins and try not to add other fats to them at first, as that could potentially be part of the problem as some people can have a reaction similar to a sugar-induced dumping syndrome, except it happens after eating some fats. It might not be the case for you, but sometimes it's a combination of things that can cause issues. For me, I can eat cheese in small amounts, but if I have more than an ounce of something like cheddar, I'll get pale and nauseous. It's been that way for a year and a half since I started eating regular foods.

At two and a half months post-op, your stomach and GI system may still be adjusting to things. It may just take a while, or it may be the meats off the menu, but I suspect you'll be able to incorporate some again eventually.

Good luck with figuring it out. As others mentioned, you may just need more of an adjustment period. My nutritionist says if something doesn't sit right, to back off and try again in a few weeks/months. They say it is usually temporary.
Thank you! Whenever something goes wrong I think it just stresses me out and really goes in my head, the reassurance from this group is always helpful and calms my nerves lol

I am having trouble finding what I can tolerate and what I can’t. So far chili, refried beans, yogurt, really soft stuff sits the best! Even 2 months out. I can tolerate some meat but it varies literally with each meal. And eggs are gross to me now. Alot of things actually are! I drink a lot of protein shakes. But it is a struggle trying to figure out this new way of eating!

I don’t have problems with meat, but I don’t do well with eggs anymore. My dietitian said that they took it off the do not eat for 6 month list right before I started with the program. I can have deviled eggs or egg salad, anything that adds fat to them. I have heard others say they have issues with meat, especially in the beginning. It might be good to find other protein sources and slowly test out meats in time.
Thank you for letting me know! I’m little trapped between following the guidelines which include a lot of meat and being unable to eat it at all. You’re right, I gotta take it slow and reevaluate because last Monday it made me so sick! Thank you

I am having trouble finding what I can tolerate and what I can’t. So far chili, refried beans, yogurt, really soft stuff sits the best! Even 2 months out. I can tolerate some meat but it varies literally with each meal. And eggs are gross to me now. Alot of things actually are! I drink a lot of protein shakes. But it is a struggle trying to figure out this new way of eating!
Me too! I’m also doing much better with soft and moist food still. I’m sorry you’re having a hard time, but it’s somehow a relief to know I’m not the only one.

It's unlikely (although possible) that you'll have such a big reaction to meat forever. I'm a plant-based eater and may have real meat once every couple of months if that. I do have some dairy and eggs though. It's probably a bit more difficult to be vegetarian with the bypass, but I know people who do it. I prefer to eat that way now and love the meals and food that I make, but it's not for everyone.

Supplement with other protein sources (drinks/shakes/bars, etc) if necessary and make meals with plants that have higher protein amounts such as beans. Every now and then, try a small amount of meat, if desired. I'd probably stick to small amounts of low-fat proteins and try not to add other fats to them at first, as that could potentially be part of the problem as some people can have a reaction similar to a sugar-induced dumping syndrome, except it happens after eating some fats. It might not be the case for you, but sometimes it's a combination of things that can cause issues. For me, I can eat cheese in small amounts, but if I have more than an ounce of something like cheddar, I'll get pale and nauseous. It's been that way for a year and a half since I started eating regular foods.

At two and a half months post-op, your stomach and GI system may still be adjusting to things. It may just take a while, or it may be the meats off the menu, but I suspect you'll be able to incorporate some again eventually.
That’s so interesting and a great relief to hear. The diet that my dietician put together for me is of course protein focused - hence includes a lot of meat. Maybe I was pushing it to hard trying to eat it, but it was clearly being rejected by my stomach. I’ve never experienced the dumping syndrome before but I think maybe that’s what happened on Monday. I had 4oz of Turkey meatballs cooked in soup - so soft they were falling apart. Oh boy was I sick! Throwing up all day and I couldn’t eat anything at all on Tuesday. I’m better today, but my stomach still feels like a rock.
I don’t mind the vegetarian diet - I love vegetables more than I like meat. What are the best vegetarian protein options with the highest protein content in your opinion? I do eat tofu and beans, but if you would have a minute to share your suggestions I’d be very grateful.

Me too! I’m also doing much better with soft and moist food still. I’m sorry you’re having a hard time, but it’s somehow a relief to know I’m not the only one.

Meat, poultry and fish
The following chart list examples of foods that contain protein. Not all foods are listed.
Always read the nutrition facts label to find out how much protein is in each serving of a food.

FoodServing sizeProtein grams
bacon1 ounce9
beef (ground, lean)3 ounces21
chicken breast (cooked)3 ounces26
cod (Atlantic)3 ounces19
haddock (smoked)3 ounces21
ham (meat only, roasted)3 ounces21
hot dog (beef)1 each7
pork (ground)3 ounces22
salmon (Atlantic)3 ounces22
sausage link (pork or beef)1 link9
shrimp (fresh)3 ounces12
tuna (canned, light)3 ounces17
turkey (light meat)3 ounces25
turkey (ground)3 ounces23

Source: Allina Health's Patient Education Department, Food that have protein, nutr-ah-12916

THE WASHINGTON POST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/from-fish-to-bacon-a-ranking-of-meats-in-order-of-healthiness/2019/07/02/2de2dce0-9435-11e9-aadb-74e6b2b46f6a_story.html

Kind of animal proteinDetails
Fish/seafood/shellfishWild Alaskan salmon, oysters and sardines are highest in healthy fats; white fish such as cod or flounder tend to be leaner.
TurkeyWhite meat has slightly less saturated fat than dark. Turkey is fairly comparable to chicken in nutrients, but both its dark and white meat are slightly leaner.
ChickenWhite meat has slightly less saturated fat than dark; skinless, boneless breast is leanest.
BisonSuper-lean, lower in fat than other red meat.
PorkLook for loin cuts like tenderloin or top loin, which are typically leaner.
BeefRound or sirloin are leaner cuts; flank steak is typically pretty lean; T-bones, rib-eyes, New York strip steak are higher in saturated fats.
LambLoin, shank and leg cuts are leanest; some cuts of lamb are slightly higher in calories than beef, but you can typically trim fat from the edges to make them leaner.
Processed meatBacon, hot dogs and sausage are all high in saturated fat and often made with chemicals considered carcinogenic to humans.

Meat, poultry and fish
The following chart list examples of foods that contain protein. Not all foods are listed.
Always read the nutrition facts label to find out how much protein is in each serving of a food.

FoodServing sizeProtein grams
bacon1 ounce9
beef (ground, lean)3 ounces21
chicken breast (cooked)3 ounces26
cod (Atlantic)3 ounces19
haddock (smoked)3 ounces21
ham (meat only, roasted)3 ounces21
hot dog (beef)1 each7
pork (ground)3 ounces22
salmon (Atlantic)3 ounces22
sausage link (pork or beef)1 link9
shrimp (fresh)3 ounces12
tuna (canned, light)3 ounces17
turkey (light meat)3 ounces25
turkey (ground)3 ounces23

Source: Allina Health's Patient Education Department, Food that have protein, nutr-ah-12916

THE WASHINGTON POST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/from-fish-to-bacon-a-ranking-of-meats-in-order-of-healthiness/2019/07/02/2de2dce0-9435-11e9-aadb-74e6b2b46f6a_story.html

Kind of animal proteinDetails
Fish/seafood/shellfishWild Alaskan salmon, oysters and sardines are highest in healthy fats; white fish such as cod or flounder tend to be leaner.
TurkeyWhite meat has slightly less saturated fat than dark. Turkey is fairly comparable to chicken in nutrients, but both its dark and white meat are slightly leaner.
ChickenWhite meat has slightly less saturated fat than dark; skinless, boneless breast is leanest.
BisonSuper-lean, lower in fat than other red meat.
PorkLook for loin cuts like tenderloin or top loin, which are typically leaner.
BeefRound or sirloin are leaner cuts; flank steak is typically pretty lean; T-bones, rib-eyes, New York strip steak are higher in saturated fats.
LambLoin, shank and leg cuts are leanest; some cuts of lamb are slightly higher in calories than beef, but you can typically trim fat from the edges to make them leaner.
Processed meatBacon, hot dogs and sausage are all high in saturated fat and often made with chemicals considered carcinogenic to humans.
Thank you! You’re the best!

What are the best vegetarian protein options with the highest protein content in your opinion? I do eat tofu and beans, but if you would have a minute to share your suggestions I’d be very grateful.

Although I am predominately plant-based, I still incorporate some dairy, like Greek Yogurt, eggs, and a little cheese, but for the most part, I'm all plant-based. I've even recently started moving away from eggs and instead make an egg substitute with mung beans for things like omelets, scrambles, breakfast burritos, etc. and it has as much protein as an egg.

I try to incorporate several protein sources into a single meal. Beans and lentils are staples. I look for heirloom beans and try lots of different and new types to keep it interesting. Rancho Gordo online is a great place to find new beans of all varieties. There are some amazing beans that really expand your options for taste and texture, etc.

I use some meat replacements such as tofu, soy "meats," seitan, tempeh, impossible burger/sausage, mycoprotein (Quorn), but I keep some of them to a minimum if they contain a lot of fat, like the impossible burger/sausage. I will combine them with other plants that are higher on the protein scale like:
  • Beans and Lentils
  • Quinoa
  • Wild Rice
  • Brown Rice
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Chia Seeds
  • Hemp hearts
  • Nutritional Yeast
  • Asparagus
  • Broccoli
  • Nuts
  • Avacado
I'll sprinkle hemp hearts, chia seeds, and nutritional yeast into many things as it adds a nice extra punch of protein as well as some really good fiber. If I want sour cream, I'll use plain Greek yogurt sometimes.

It can be difficult the first few months after surgery because of stomach restriction. It gets easier after your stomach relaxes a bit and you can eat a bit more volume. I suspect this is probably easier with the sleeve than the bypass.

Some people will get a lot of pushback from bariatric doctors and nutritionists as they tend to want to push everyone into a single dietary box. Although I would always recommend talking with your doctor and/or nutritionist before making a change to your diet and not just taking the word of a forum post, there are bariatric doctors and dieticians out there who fully support plant-based diets. My dietician has been 100% on board from the beginning and has helped me find good protein sources, etc.

If you have difficulty getting enough protein in a day, you can supplement with protein drinks or bars, etc. You can choose either traditional protein drinks/bars with whey protein, or choose plant-based drinks/bars, depending on your desires.

Some other places to look for food and recipe ideas are "vegan bodybuilding" websites and blogs. Vegan bodybuilders obviously try to consume a lot of protein. While people who haven't had the surgery can consume larger volumes of food, which make it easier to get protein, you can get a lot of ideas of where they are getting their protein from and often some good recipes to adapt.

I hope you found this helpful. Good luck!

If you have difficulty getting enough protein in a day, you can supplement with protein drinks or bars, etc. You can choose either traditional protein drinks/bars with whey protein, or choose plant-based drinks/bars, depending on your desires.

Some other places to look for food and recipie ideas are "vegan bodybuilding" websites and blogs. Vegan body builders obviosuly try to consume a lot of protein. While people who haven't had the surgery can consume larger volumes of food, which make it easier to get protein, you can get a lot of ideas of where they are getting their protein from and often some good recipies to adapt.

I hope you found this helpful. Good luck!

Last edited:
I struggled in the beginning with meat proteins, it seemed to me that 1 oz was more than enough and 2-3 oz was too much. Two eggs was a disaster waiting to happen. It also makes a difference what else you are putting with the meat. The portion of what you are eating is something you should be examining as you progress. Like I said I struggled gigantically to get my proteins in Especially meat.

Back