• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

UnitedHealth..ugh

Hey guys, quick question
I have United Health ( I know I know) PPO Choice, and Blue Cross Blue Shield, what is the biggest obstacle that you guys have had to deal with?
I have done the sleep study and am in my fourth month of monitored diet and nutrition and just did my surgical consult and got approved by the surgeon.

the hardest thing for me was protein levels I am two years out and still have to work hard at it.
Roni, what does your doctor say? You shouldn't be suffering at all at two years post-op. It's possible something got stuck or folded or otherwise damaged. I know you work like a madwoman at home projects, but you should be able to do that after all this time.

I've mentioned this several times, but Trader Joe's has a protein powder you can mix into cereals and puddings or make into smoothies with soft fruit. I made Magic Milk, then added the protein powder, etc., and I got at least 30 grams of protein from one drink or from my morning cream of wheat and afternoon cream soup. It's flavored, unfortunately, so you choose vanilla or chocolate, but it's still really powerful, but not so good with a savory cream soup.

Magic Milk is also a great snack and can be flavored with malt powder or instant chocolate powder or any other flavoring you like.

Take care of yourself, kiddo!

At my annual they were still on me about protein but were complaining about types of protein and they added not enough milk products. Then they complained about my grapefruit pieces in guava juice. I don’t have a trader joe’s in central Midwest, like half way between Chicago to St. Louis but then west of Springfield, IL. My home made protein shakes are too big, and saved portions end up tasting wrong. Premade shakes don’t appeal to me. I had a really good journal before surgery but it doesn’t work after surgery due to portion sizes. Seriously thinking of meeting with dietician to do a bariatric portion journal/ menu planning. After I get done with the kidney stone crisis. The last part is learning to do solo meals, since husband died. I am still giving away his frozen stuff his fridge fruit cups. This past month has been morning special k 15 gram protein. Lunch Peanut butter jelly sandwhich and dinner ham salad sandwhich

Yeah, you really do have so much going on. The citrus thing is often related to the fact that citrus can reduce the effectiveness of other meds you're taking, including antidepressants. You don't need a Trader Joe's to buy TJ's products. You can find them online in all kinds of other retail outlets and have them shipped.

I wish I could give you a hug, but I'd really like you to know you're an amazing person. Many people here have commented on that. And of course, I should have said something about the fact that you're still grieving and maybe will be for a long time. I just don't want you to feel worse because you're not living up to someone else's arbitrary standards.

I'm pretty sure you could do some USDA research and figure out ways to intensify your protein intake. I did it, and if I can do it, I KNOW you can do it, and probably much better.

I hope you're feeling a little better. I'm sending you love and best wishes.

Back