• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Unpredictable nausea

Yeledov

First, a trigger warning about nausea & vomiting.

I’ll be 4 months out from my gastric bypass this week. Everything was going so smoothly until about 2 weeks ago. In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 major nausea episodes. I eat something that completely disagrees with me. I stop eating the second I notice the nausea but it is too late. From that point until I wake up the next morning, I struggle, often unsuccessfully, to keep even water down.
Most of what triggered it has been food I’d had before just fine. It’s felt completely random. However, when I wake up the next morning it’s like a reset button. I feel perfectly fine and can eat normally, though I often stick to liquids then. Then, a couple days later, it happens again.

So, first off, have you had this experience? Is this just a normal fickle stomach thing? And what can I do to prevent it (I already do a liquids only the day after to help settle) or help feel better when it happens (everything I’ve tried just comes back up)? I’d be more worried if it was constant but days go by when I’m fine. It is very confusing.

Any advice is welcome.

Congrats on your surgery. I've been wondering what happened to you.

If this nausea is something you've never experienced (3x in 2 weeks), before, it is symptomatic of something... But what?

Don't assume it's related to your surgery. View it as a symptom of disease or disorder and get to a doctor immediately.

I had my surgery in 2007 and have been a member of this group since 2015. I've never heard of this.

Please see a doctor before it happens again. And later, let us know how you're doing.

I am 4 days from my 4 month gastric bypass anniversary, and luckily I've had no nausea, yet. I have only struggled if I start to overfill my stomach. It's not nausea that I experience, but I need to spit some of it back up. Water too soon after eating sometimes causes the same experience.

I'm mentioning this only in case you might be eating a bit more than your stomach can handle. I'm pretty confident that you can tell the difference between overfilling and the nausea you are experiencing. As everyone else has mentioned, this probably should be run past your dr.

Good luck, and good hearing from you.

Hi everyone! Just checking in. I do have an appointment with my surgeon about this on the 30th. I had one more episode of this after the post but thankfully none since. The RN Case Manager at the bariatric dept checked in with me about all the common causes. None apply. The nausea starts within a few first bites so it isn’t being over full. I chew well and eat slowly. Nothing new in the meals. I set timers after my meals for liquids so I don’t drink too soon. The first 2 times it happened it was with reheated meals so I thought I’d dried out the protein but the next 3 time was with freshly made meals.
I’ll check in again after my appointment on the 30th. Thank you for your advice everyone!

Hi there - congrats on having your surgery.

I've had issues with nausea. Mine would come when trying to introduce new foods to my diet. Bread of any kind makes me nauseated. I can manage the 110 calorie thin bagels -but I can still have issues with nausea. Sweets pretty much of any type make me severely nauseated - at times to the point I throw up. I pretty much don't eat sweets - such as cakes, pies, doughnuts, or candy - I was a raging chocoholic - now not so much. This has been an issue that truly sucks ass!

Once the nausea hits - I can't
drink water in any form - not tea, not coffee, not flavored. I usually end up drinking a caffeine free diet Mountain Dew. It's the only thing I can drink once I get nauseated.

I hope they can get your nausea issue resolved sooner rather than later. Best of luck to you on this awesome journey!

I’m about 15 years out and sometimes have the nausea issue. Usually I’m not eating slow enough. ( same problem with liquid) and yes I have this problem with food I have eaten before and new foods. Fill like crap for a while or until I upchuck. Then I’m good. Totally agree with doctor follow up. Good look and hope your feeling better

Back