• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Unprepared

3momchaos

I’m a little frustrated with a few things going on that I wasn’t prepared for. While I know everyone is different after surgery, it would be almost impossible to warn everyone of everything, but still, I feel bothered. Being a woman who was still getting her period, even at my heaviest, I was not prepared for my cycle to go so off track. I talked to my dietician yesterday and a nurse from my OBs office. The nurse said that as long as I’m losing I could experience irregularity. The dietician said that they don’t normally warn their female patients because it can, but not always, have to do with the rate of weight loss. Which leads me to my next annoyance. I told her how much I’d lost so far and she was genuinely shocked. She said I am at the extreme high of normal, but that the rapid loss could be more to blame for my irregularity than the loss itself (if that makes sense). I originally called her because I am famished! She said that the hormones released and the rapid loss is causing me to be more hungry, more often, plus the hormones from my period aren’t helping. My body is fighting back against the weight loss. And I know that can happen, but I guess I was thinking it would happen with plateaus rather than increased hunger. Another thing I wasn’t prepared for. I am not complaining about the weight loss. I just wish I was better prepared mentally for some of the things that might happen. I’m still adhering to the food guidelines, eating around 800 calories a day (at most), and I’m getting my protein in. I know there’s not really anything I can do about all this except take it in stride, and be prepared for my next snack attack.

So sorry you are frustrated but I sure can understand why. FWIW, I have upped my calorie intake to about 1,000 calories a day. I just feel better at that and I am still losing (I am 7 months out). While I am not saying I am right in doing that and can't suggest it will be good for others, I just feel that is a happy medium for me both physically and mentally. What I did was added healthy snacks so I make sure I am contributing to my nutrition. Of course if I get to the point where the scale isn't budging, I will have to try other things. I feel like I have made peace with food. My motto is to honor my hunger and respect my fullness. I've adapted that from the book "Intuitive Eating". I'm still a work in progress, but it has made a huge difference for me.

3Mom, I hope that your body adjusts to the changes and your hormones get aligned the way they should be. I think it is good you brought the subject up so others can be aware.

Thank you. Part of me feels like I’m complaining about the weight loss, and I’m not necessarily, I’m just complaining about some of the things that come with it that I wasn’t anticipating. Looking back at my food log for the week, I’ve actually been really low on calories even though I’m reaching my protein goals. I’m never getting more than 45 net carbs a day, maybe that’s too much, but I doubt it? I don’t really know. Since moving onto regular foods I have had chickpea or lentil pasta instead of regular, I’ve had kodiak cakes with extra protein added rather than any other type of pancake or waffle, and I haven’t had any types of bread at all. I feel like I’ve embraced the switches with my biggest problem areas where foods concerned. I’m just going to keep focusing on the positive changes I’ve been able to make, and remind myself that I am responsible for what I eat and how much of it, so the better choices, even when I’m hungry, the better the outcome.

Honestly I don't count carbs but make better carb choices, so I don't even know where one should be on carbs. It's not that I never eat bread. I sometimes have Dave's killer thin sliced bread with seeds but 1 small loaf lasts for months. And I occasionally have Kashi Go (extra protein) cereal and add blueberries. Everyone has their own triggers and it is important to know them. For me it's not letting myself get too hungry because that could bring on a binge. That's why I need to have 5 or 6 small meals or 3 meals with 2 or 3 tiny snacks. Sometimes my snack will just be vegetables. Whatever works so I am not tempted to binge or eat something unhealthy.

I think you are doing really great. So whatever works for you is the key. If you find your hunger only comes around at that certain time of the month, maybe just add a something that can fend off the hunger but is nutritionally healthy until you resume back to your regular eating plan.

It is frustrating when they don't give you all the information. Like, even if it doesn't happen to everyone, multiple periods a month or missing periods are a big freakin' deal. They should absolutely add a warning for that! This is something every woman pays attention to and it's such an important indicator of our health. I have also found that I am occasionally extremely hungry. I now just listen to my body's needs. If I am feeling that hungry, I eat a little extra or have an extra snack. Like Judy, I am eating smaller meals and 2 snacks. So, maybe I'll have a 3rd. I have not found that the extra 100ish calories once in a while are affecting my weight. There are also days I eat less than normal so I figure it averages out.

Wow! I would of thought that would been something that they would of told you about before having the surgery. I don't know how old you are but being concerned with missed periods would drive me up the wall. Especially if your doc told you what mine did, that you shouldn't get preg for 2 yrs after having the surgery. Thank God I had a hysterectomy 12 yrs ago so no worries for me on that score. Prayers that things even out and get back to normal. You may want to have your hormone levels checked and see what your OBGYN tells you maybe they need to adjust your dosage on your birth control. Just a suggestion. Good Luck.

I had my tubes tied 6 years ago, so the likely hood of pregnancy is super low. I know in rare circumstances tubes can heal, but I hope not that quick LOL I stay on BC because I have endometriosis and hormonal migraines. I see my doctor next month, so I’ll see if there’s any blood work he wants to run.

I always new about weight and the impact it can have on cycles. Sometimes people that are heavy and people that are too thin can lose cycles or have break through bleeding. I havnt really had normal cycles and would occasionally have a longer cycle and some times skip cycles for months because I have the arm implant. This sumer is 2 years of having it. I think once my weight levels out I if this doesn't stop I will have it removed and just go without.

However, I am not losing that fast (I months post surgery, down 48 pounds since surgery day) and am only losing a .5- 2 pounds a week at this point so im a little extra annoyed at the cycle issues.

Back