• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Unsure if this is really what I want

Thank you for clarifying your statement. Welcome to the group. I hope we'll be hearing more from you as you make your decisions.

Thank you for clarifying your statement. Welcome to the group. I hope we'll be hearing more from you as you make your decisions.
Thank you Diane Seattle, I am grateful to be a part of this group as I learn what to expect. I hope I am still welcome as I go through this process of deciding. There is limited information here and the support group here is small. Bend is a fitness oriented town, so there isn't much of an obese population. That's why I feel so isolated. I explained my situation on a thread which I sent to mamabearof4 and invited others to read. This forum is a little different from what I am used to, I am still learning how it works. But I would like it if others could join in and talk about their experience with diabetes and surgery. Thanks

Ok either way we are here to give our opinions. Diane is one of the best I know. We can give support and most questions are answered. And we all know it takes a long time to go through all the post to figure out the answers we are looking for. Before I came to the Group I researched all the surgeries and made my choice. I read as much of the post as possible. Everybody does heal at different times. Some don't get energy back because they are not getting all the protein in. You have to watch all of the rules everyday and it is numerous of counting that will be happening. You could get off meds that you have before surgery but you have to take your vitamins and supplements everyday. If you want to do research they have some information here but Mayo Clinic has alot of information. I can only say what I know of the bypass because that is my choice of surgeries and I will be going through the surgery here soon. The information that I have token in is from what I have gained from talking to other people with the same surgery and all the research I did. Like I said Diane is good about giving advise since she is 12 years out.

Ok either way we are here to give our opinions. Diane is one of the best I know. We can give support and most questions are answered. And we all know it takes a long time to go through all the post to figure out the answers we are looking for. Before I came to the Group I researched all the surgeries and made my choice. I read as much of the post as possible. Everybody does heal at different times. Some don't get energy back because they are not getting all the protein in. You have to watch all of the rules everyday and it is numerous of counting that will be happening. You could get off meds that you have before surgery but you have to take your vitamins and supplements everyday. If you want to do research they have some information here but Mayo Clinic has alot of information. I can only say what I know of the bypass because that is my choice of surgeries and I will be going through the surgery here soon. The information that I have token in is from what I have gained from talking to other people with the same surgery and all the research I did. Like I said Diane is good about giving advise since she is 12 years out.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I have invited Diane to respond. I will be searching the forum as soon as I figure out the system.

My therapist told me once that if you are not 100% clear on something then err on the side of caution. For me the tipping point was joint pain all the time and diabetes. I'm scared of the consequences with diabetes. That's not to say that I don't have hesitancies. But I am arming myself with as much knowledge beyond the hospitals training to be fully aware. Good luck to you!
Rose, Rose, you are long overdue in giving us a report on your thoughts. One day you were sharing and next day [ POOF ]you were gone.

Thank you taking the time to reply. I am going to check into the books you said you are Reading. Ive had a long week to think about this.

Even though Im not 100 percent sure what I'm going to do, I went ahead and set an appointment to get things started. I can always back out if i feel it's not for me, right?

You can absolutely change your mind!!! I had gone down this road two other times in the past decade where I made it all the way to scheduling surgery and then changed my mind. Looking back, I wish I had gone through with it the first time and didn't waste 10 years loosing and inevitably regaining the same 80-100 pounds over and over. I hope you find the answers you're looking for! :)

I have been spending a long time working with the Bariatric MIndset Coaching Group on facebook. And I'm in a holding pattern on my checklist as I await my doctor's appointment in 10 days. I'm trying to work on the head hunger and dealing with stressors and anxiety.

Hi my name is Katherine I am 61 and have been thinking about surgery for years - I had the lapband and was disappointed and am scheduled to have bypass by a good surgeon on Monday - my husband is a foody and worried about our relationship- he remains 10 pounds overweight vs my 100 plus diabetes and chronic joint pain and high bp. I am scared and need support right now - I am afraid I will either not lose weight or starve for the rest of my life or have horrific side effects - please provide your feedback

Well I am the same age and the same problems and truthfully I'm scared of stroke. So that is why I decided to loose the weight. I'm seeing the doctor soon. Educate yourself, there are a lot of good books out there that will help you tremendously. the group I am on on Facebook says while the surgery is not a fix all, you will still have to be careful what you eat and take vitamins, they don't regret it at all. They love to be able to be off meds and to enjoy life pain free. Maybe your husband being a foodie can help you come up with some unique ideas.

Hi my name is Katherine I am 61 and have been thinking about surgery for years - I had the lapband and was disappointed and am scheduled to have bypass by a good surgeon on Monday - my husband is a foody and worried about our relationship- he remains 10 pounds overweight vs my 100 plus diabetes and chronic joint pain and high bp. I am scared and need support right now - I am afraid I will either not lose weight or starve for the rest of my life or have horrific side effects - please provide your feedback

You can have a normal life after healing. You just have to be mindful of what you eat. But you will be able to have a life. You just have to think healthy wise. I live in a house full of people that eat like crazy of course I have 4 sons and my husband. But I know what I need and I know what is good for me. I keep to my diet. I have to cook 2 different things at times but then catch most of the kids go to eat what I am. You should do what makes you happy and some of the after foods will be food and your husband will be able to eat it to. I know my husband says that I surprise him daily at the strength I have to stay away from stuff that he knows I want and keep to the diet I need. You can do it if you really want it. Your life is not over and the good thing is my doctor gave me a card that states I had surgery and if I can share a meal with some one with me. I know my kids will eat the rest of my food for me and if not that is another meal I do not have to cook. You should look at the positive of what the surgery is going to do for you life and worry about the negative when they arrive. They don't happen to everyone. There is only a percentage of people that end up with it. Just do as the doctor says and take your vitamins and you will be fine.

Rose, Rose, you are long overdue in giving us a report on your thoughts. One day you were sharing and next day [ POOF ]you were gone.
thank you for your perspective- I feel the exact same way -my blood sugar was out of control a few months ago and I am on more and more meds and I too am very afraid of the effects of diabetes- I am so glad I found this site to hear the strong individuals that have blazed this trail.

The weight loss just happens if you follow the doctor's orders. I was afraid I'd lose my best friend, food.
I still eat! I can taste my favorites and that is all I need. Fried food does not have any appeal for me anymore. Starving doesn't happen. You don't have the same stomach to brain signals. Now if you obsess over food, self-sabotage can happen. Just take it one day at a time!

Back