• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming gastric sleeve

KathleenL

Need ideas of what to have in house post surgery next month. Also, was anyone else nervous about post op recovery? I am not the best with pain.

Need ideas of what to have in house post surgery next month. Also, was anyone else nervous about post op recovery? I am not the best with pain.

Hi Kathleen! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I was very excited but nervous about surgery. The pain was not bad at all. Not anything like I expected. When I was sitting still it didn't hurt at all. When I moved around it hurt slightly, really I was just somewhat sore. Not bad at all. You're having the sleeve which should be even easier. I had my intestines moved around, too. You'll be fine. :)

Good luck,

Cheyenne :cool:

Oh I forgot to mention about food. You should get exact instructions from your surgeon before your surgery.

I was on liquids for 2 wks after surgery. Then I had a list of allowed soft foods which included eggs, cottage cheese, applesauce, flakey white fish, tuna, salmon and 2 crackers per meal. Also all condiments were allowed so I mixed Miracle Whip with my tuna or salmon and ate it on my cracker. Keep in mind your new tummy will be so tiny that 2 teaspoons of tuna or whatever food you are eating will make you feel very full. Don't over stretch your tummy. Eat very slowly. Chew chew chew your food. :)

Good luck,

Cheyenne :cool:

Welcome. I think nerves are quite normal before surgery. I think I was so desperate I had kind of made peace with it, but I'm not really normal. I never took anything for pain, but that's me. You will be given pain meds and try to stay ahead of the pain especially at first. Protein powder or ready made shakes are a must. You will not be able to meet your protein or water requirements at first, but it is a goal to work toward. Stay hydrated. This is really important so you will be sipping all day. Every surgeon has there own plan and you should have been given instructions on what and how much to eat at different stages. Your sleeve will be healing so don't overfill. I think I tried yogurt first and then a scrambled egg. I could only eat 1/4 at first and then gradually worked up to more each time. I know it sounds strange to have to chew an egg, but you have to really chew. It really sounds like you are preparing and this is a great indication of your commitment. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Stay connected support is crucial.

Good posts by all.

Strangely when I went for surgery I was calm.

I took a very long time to decide to do it.

Once I did I was both mentally and physically ready.

I am almost a year out now (11/4/2014 will be my first anniversary) and I am in maintenance for the last couple of months weighing between 197 to 200.

I am looking to get it down a few more pounds but that is that.

Ralph

Back