• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming Surgery - 25 June- kind of nervous

Hi everyone, my name is Melissa. I'm scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery on the 25 of June 2019. My pre-op "liquid" diet begins this Monday, the 10th, two weeks before my surgery. I wasn't previously as nervous as I feel now, approaching the date. Although, my process towards finally making the decision to have weight loss surgery was long and fraught with anxiety. Somehow, once my mind was made up I was more excited (I still am) to be taking control of my health and work towards those goals. Now that the date is approaching I find myself worried about certain things, like how to handle the way we're supposed to eat post- op (several small meals, sipping water throughout the day), when I commute 1 1/2 - 2 hours one way every day for work. How does that translate as far as bringing what I'll need with me on the bus? Vainly, I find myself worrying also about things like loose skin - I know the point of the surgery is to better my health, avoid things like diabetes, which run in my family. Of course, that's the most important. I do worry though... that I'll still be unhappy with the way that I look and with my body. I've been trying to incorporate more exercise into my daily routine as well, but I fear I'm not yet where I should be with that either. I guess I just have this fear of having the surgery, being given the tools, and somehow not making the most of it. But lowering my risk of diabetes, hypertension and heart disease will be worth it no matter what, and remain my strongest motivators. I'm open to any tips!

Wish me luck!

good luck and good luck and welcome to the group. Now to try to answer some of your questions.

Uh, Vanity, party of two... I am obsessed with every detail, constantly looking for perfection, which isn't there. I'm there with you. I wanted smaller breasts, but I didn't want them to sag.

Turned out the fat was weighing them downas weight left, boobs perked up!

Sagging skin? What to do with that. There are many cosmetic surgeons who do a beautiful job, removing skin and minimizing scarring.

Food is really easy. They already have it broken down into phases and they tell you exactly what to eat. You may encounter many problems trying to swallow, trying to find the food appetizing when you really hate it, feeling very hungry, not feeling hungry at all, vomiting, sick in bed. The first few weeks post-op are the hardest. But as you ascend through the eating phases you will notice that your body is now controlling your mind. Your obsession with food is lessened. Your Cravings are gone. A part of the stomach was removed that control cravings.

See Mama bear's list of resources it's down below all of these posts in the bottom and has her name on it.

I stayed in my room for the first week or two. I only came out to boil water for broth or drink some clear liquid. I was on oxy because I had a seven-inch incision. He also removed my gallbladder.

These are our versions of war stories

You can't possibly care what people think of you. If you get one of those nylon lunch boxes and pack it with things you can eat, you'll have no trouble on the bus

Congratulations on your decision to save your life. You are a bona fide hero.

good luck and good luck and welcome to the group. Now to try to answer some of your questions.

Uh, Vanity, party of two... I am obsessed with every detail, constantly looking for perfection, which isn't there. I'm there with you. I wanted smaller breasts, but I didn't want them to sag.

Turned out the fat was weighing them downas weight left, boobs perked up!

Sagging skin? What to do with that. There are many cosmetic surgeons who do a beautiful job, removing skin and minimizing scarring.

Food is really easy. They already have it broken down into phases and they tell you exactly what to eat. You may encounter many problems trying to swallow, trying to find the food appetizing when you really hate it, feeling very hungry, not feeling hungry at all, vomiting, sick in bed. The first few weeks post-op are the hardest. But as you ascend through the eating phases you will notice that your body is now controlling your mind. Your obsession with food is lessened. Your Cravings are gone. A part of the stomach was removed that control cravings.

See Mama bear's list of resources it's down below all of these posts in the bottom and has her name on it.

I stayed in my room for the first week or two. I only came out to boil water for broth or drink some clear liquid. I was on oxy because I had a seven-inch incision. He also removed my gallbladder.

These are our versions of war stories

You can't possibly care what people think of you. If you get one of those nylon lunch boxes and pack it with things you can eat, you'll have no trouble on the bus

Congratulations on your decision to save your life. You are a bona fide hero.

Thank you so much! Your kind words mean a lot... When you put it in that perspective, "saving your life," the other stuff seems manageable! I will definitely check out the post that you recommended. Do you have any recommendations for exercises that got you started post op? I know I've been told to walk a lot, which I've already been doing, and which I enjoy... I'm already thinking about weight lifting which I know I can't do immediately post op because of the risk of hernias. Do you have any favorite types of exercise besides walking?

That's a great point you make about not caring what others think. I haven't told my colleagues what kind of surgery I'm having and part of me is terrified that they'll figure it out, and if I'm honest, I guess I am a little nervous about being judged. I know there's a stigma that comes with it, but I know I can't put other people's unsolicited opinions above my health.

Thanks again for your kind words!
Melissa

Thank you so much! Your kind words mean a lot... When you put it in that perspective, "saving your life," the other stuff seems manageable! I will definitely check out the post that you recommended. Do you have any recommendations for exercises that got you started post op? I know I've been told to walk a lot, which I've already been doing, and which I enjoy... I'm already thinking about weight lifting which I know I can't do immediately post op because of the risk of hernias. Do you have any favorite types of exercise besides walking?

That's a great point you make about not caring what others think. I haven't told my colleagues what kind of surgery I'm having and part of me is terrified that they'll figure it out, and if I'm honest, I guess I am a little nervous about being judged. I know there's a stigma that comes with it, but I know I can't put other people's unsolicited opinions above my health.

Thanks again for your kind words!
Melissa

Hi Melissa & welcome. I had RNY on March 11th and also did not share with colleges. The stigma is completely unfair. Yet another way to project shame onto the obese population. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Anyway, once I had my surgery date I went behind closed doors to speak with my Director of HR and told him that I did not want to share details with anyone. I only told him because he'd be receiving the disability paperwork from my surgeon. He said that I could just tell my supervisor that I was taking a 4 week medical leave, nothing more. That's what I did. Then 2 weeks before surgery, I sent this email to the people in my department:

"I will be out of the office and unavailable from March 11th to April 7th, returning on Monday, April 8th. The details are personal but I can assure you that there is no need for concern".

I wanted to make it very clear that I was not open to any questions or discussion. So far, this approach has worked. Fair warning for everyone to mind their own business! :)

Good luck with everything and definitely keep us posted. Great group of people on this site for support, ideas, or even just to vent!

Hi Melissa & welcome. I had RNY on March 11th and also did not share with colleges. The stigma is completely unfair. Yet another way to project shame onto the obese population. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Anyway, once I had my surgery date I went behind closed doors to speak with my Director of HR and told him that I did not want to share details with anyone. I only told him because he'd be receiving the disability paperwork from my surgeon. He said that I could just tell my supervisor that I was taking a 4 week medical leave, nothing more. That's what I did. Then 2 weeks before surgery, I sent this email to the people in my department:

"I will be out of the office and unavailable from March 11th to April 7th, returning on Monday, April 8th. The details are personal but I can assure you that there is no need for concern".

I wanted to make it very clear that I was not open to any questions or discussion. So far, this approach has worked. Fair warning for everyone to mind their own business! :)

Good luck with everything and definitely keep us posted. Great group of people on this site for support, ideas, or even just to vent!

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind... I've only told my supervisor that I have an upcoming necessary medical procedure that will put me out of work for 2-3 weeks. I haven't really given her details.

Thank you for your welcome and feedback. I already feel less alone :)

Melissa

I don't like exercise just for the sake of exercising. I had a very strong need to hike up Desolation Peak in the North Cascades. So I worked out almost every day at the Y. I would do the treadmill for 4 -30- minutes sessions. Then I would move to the rowing machine and I would practice bending and pulling for my abs. I then moved to the stair stepper or the elliptical to get that kind of upward walking motion going., then I would swim as many laps as I could, up to 10. Hot tub, steam room, shower, lotion up, makeup / hair fixed and I was officially done with my spa day. That's what I used to call them, spa days, even though they were excruciatingly hard workouts

On days I didn't go to the Y, I'd load up my backpack with seven days worth of gear, take a bus downtown and walk up and down the hills of Seattle. If you've never been here or never knew that Seattle was built on Seven Hills oh, that is a big deal. I would start at sea level, Elliott Bay, then up up up as far as 5th Avenue, which only took me to I think about a hundred fifty vertical feet.Desolation tops out at 6600 feet.

I had a goal and it was the first goal of many to hike many mountains in the North Cascades. I have been doing it ever since I recovered from my surgery, except for the times that I took a canoe trip solo around Ross Lake and camped on all the little Islands I could find.

Your day is coming fast. How are you feeling?

I’m feeling more and more nervous by the day. Yesterday was probably the most shaky day I’ve had yet. It’s been one week since I began my two week pre op diet, and yesterday I think the hunger played with my head a little bit. I started to have some serious second thoughts, the seriousness and permanency of this decision really started to weigh on me. This morning when I woke up I made some tea and meditated a bit on why I decided to do this in the first place: for my health. I don’t want to be looking at diabetes or worse in a few years time. Today I feel better. I’ve just gotta hold on for one more week, and then the next chapter officially begins.

Hi Melissa, my surgery is in 14 days and my pre-op diet starts today. I am a week behind you but pretty close. I too keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for my health and future! I don't want to be a burden when I am older (I'm 49) so I need to get my health on track now. I wish I had done this years ago. People keep reminding me what I'm giving up but I feel I'm giving up things that haven't served me well and I hope to gain more in exchange. Good luck, you are almost there!

From where I am today (surgery 4/2/19), there is nothing I cannot eat at least one bite of. I have been eating a big variety. It’s more about amounts and not making yourself sick after surgery. I am happy with what I get to eat. But I certainly cannot binge on anything.

From where I am today (surgery 4/2/19), there is nothing I cannot eat at least one bite of. I have been eating a big variety. It’s more about amounts and not making yourself sick after surgery. I am happy with what I get to eat. But I certainly cannot binge on anything.
Hi Tyson, I still can't tolerate bread, tried to have a half sandwich yesterday and no-go. Which surgery did you have again?

I was honestly in so much pain, it was worse than giving birth! And I vomited constantly for 2 hours. My surgeon said my stomach wasn’t ready for meat yet/wasn’t fully healed, so I went back to soft foods for a while, put me off turkey for life!

Hi Tyson, I still can't tolerate bread, tried to have a half sandwich yesterday and no-go. Which surgery did you have again?
I had gastric bypass surgery. However after 10 years with the lap band, I am a pro at small bites and chewing. I don’t eat a lot of bread. Any gooey bread was impossible with lap band. Since bypass I have had a little bit of wheat toast and some French baguette. I have only thrown up once with gastric bypass. I ate too big of a bite of sushi too fast. But last night I had a piece and was more careful and did fine.

I’m feeling more and more nervous by the day. Yesterday was probably the most shaky day I’ve had yet. It’s been one week since I began my two week pre op diet, and yesterday I think the hunger played with my head a little bit. I started to have some serious second thoughts, the seriousness and permanency of this decision really started to weigh on me. This morning when I woke up I made some tea and meditated a bit on why I decided to do this in the first place: for my health. I don’t want to be looking at diabetes or worse in a few years time. Today I feel better. I’ve just gotta hold on for one more week, and then the next chapter officially begins.
Melissa, how are you doing? Are you home? How'd the surgery go?

Back