• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Upcoming surgery

Cheyenne, I am having the gastric bypass. I am really nervous and having ups and downs about having the surgery. Did you go through that??? I am a type 2 diabetic and take several shots a day which I am hoping to get off of. I only have about 50 pounds to lose but the surgery is to help me get off the shots.

I was sooo nervous. I was thinking about the surgery for 10 yrs and kept procrastinating because I was afraid. I finally decided to go for it because my cardiologist told me it would add years to my life. I found a really great bariatric surgeon who had done 2000 of these operations and never lost one patient. I had to fullfill the requirements of my insurance and that was the longest hardest part. I have bad lungs from having pneumonia a couple years ago. The surgeon took great care of me although he said I had the worse lungs of any person he operated on and I never ever even smoked. I had the gastric bypass and did well. The pain was much less than I expected and I have never regretted having the surgery. I just wish I would have had it years ago. As long as you have a good surgeon you should do well. Good Luck!!!

PS I have heard great things about gastric bypass curing Type 2 diabetes. It sounds like your making a wise decision.

I just came back from shopping for protein stuff and vitamins, wow everything healthy is expensive. Did you need to get 60 to 100 grams of protein a day??? Were you able to do that?? What kind of protein stuff did you take? Everyday I seem to have more questions. Don't really know where to start. I have only met with my doctor 1 time for just about 6 minutes. He is the only surgeon in the area and very busy, not sure if that's good or not. But his nurse is wonderful and I think that is why I am staying with him. Thanks for your response it really helps to talk to someone that has just gone thru it.

Its strange I know but they never told me how many grams of protein a day to eat. I was told to eat plenty of protein.. and they gave me a list week by week what to eat thru the first 7 weeks. Basically jello, cranberry juice and broth the first 2 wks. The 3rd wk flakey cooked white fish (cod, haddock etc) tuna, salmon, 2 crackers per meal, applesauce, oatmeal. Then as weeks progressed I could eat chicken and soft cooked veggies. Then beef and pork and bread etc. by the 7th week. Then I could eat anything. I think they started me on the whey protein shakes at 3 wks thru the 7th week but then that was it. Im not supposed to drink them anymore. But I have always craved fish and meat as long as I remember so it has been the main thing I eat. I slow cook chicken breast and freeze some and keep some in the fridge so I can grab some off to eat with meals and for a snack. Anyway the main thing is.. think meat and fish and more solid foods but not too much soft mushy food once you get past the first month or so. At least thats what my doctor recommended for me.

Last edited:
I was on two kinds of insulin and was still not well controlled, ac1 of 8. Now I am just on Metformin and now my ac1 is 6.6. Much better and I feel great. It is well worth it. We all go through some stress and questioning just before surgery. We are here for you.

Females should get 60 grams of protein in per day. Right now I am drinking 3 protein shakes a day, some protein-enriched jello, protein-enriched hot chocolate, and unflavored Unjury added to Crystal Lite, and I get more than enough protein in.
I know everything seems overwhelming now, but go to some support groups, online or in person, and it will all start to come together for you.

Great news from the surgeon's office today. They have moved my procedure date up by 1 day....December 9th is knocking on my door YAYYYYY !!!

Back