• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

upcoming surgery

Sunilips

I have finally after trying to get my surgery approved due to work and the holidays have now received a date. March 10,2015 I will be having surgery. I have been getting ready since June of 2014. It is a good and happy thing, but also scarry since I work in the medical field and never have had surgery. I am glad to have found this support group.
:cool:

Janine

I have finally after trying to get my surgery approved due to work and the holidays have now received a date. March 10,2015 I will be having surgery. I have been getting ready since June of 2014. It is a good and happy thing, but also scarry since I work in the medical field and never have had surgery. I am glad to have found this support group.

Janine

Welcome

You will do well.

It is good to hear that you have finally scheduled for surgery.

I hope you have chosen a top doctor in your area.

Also, it is also good if your hospital is a Bariatric center of excellence.

The surgery should have been explained to you by now. It is a laparoscopic procedure. The procedure is minimally evasive and your recovery will be quick.

You will be up and walking around the hospital corridors by the next day and released the day after once they assure everything has gone well.

Pain is easily controlled. Don't deny yourself pain meds. Stay ahead of any pain that you might have. It gets better very quickly in the first week.

I found that I needed minimal pain management after the first day. If you feel the pain level is approaching 5 on a scale of 1 - no pain to 10 - heavy pain , then take your meds.

Your challenge in the first week or two is to stay hydrated. Sip sip sip.

You will likely leave the hospital weighing 5 to 10 pounds more than when you entered. The surgeon and hospital team will assure you are hydrated. The extra weight is water the fluids they are pumping back into you.

I also had a major hiatal hernia repaired during my procedure. It helped me tremendously.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Janine

Hi Janine, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

We are here to help and support each other. It is helpful to go back and read past posts.

Bariatric surgery saved my life. I had many health problems and now I am so much healthier. The pain was much less than I expected. Take time after surgery to heal and recuperate. Follow your doctor's instructions and don't overstretch your new sized tummy. It will hold only about 2 oz in the beginning. Eat slowly so you can stop when you are full which will be only a couple spoonfuls in the beginning.

Good luck to you!

Cheyenne :cool:

Back