• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

update

MamaBearOf4

So surgery was on July 15th and I did good as everyone knows. I wonder how our of july people did. I have not heard from them yet. But anyways I had to have 7 opens instead of the normal. But the surgery did not have any other problems. Since then I have 4 that is closed all the way one almost finish closing up. The only ones that has not healed is the biggest one in the middle and the drainage tube area. But they are getting there. I am so thankful for the support and the encouraging words from all of you. The people who have followed from the beginning here is the weight lost tracks

highest weight 736
begining weight 601
surgery weight 538

I still have not been weighed since but with the success before surgery I believe that I will be losing it sooner or later. I am just along for the ride now. I have not been under 500 since my second son was born. So my first goal is to get under 400lbs. and when I hit that I will set another. Life is easy but you can never set your self up to fail. And I am in no way going to do that. So here is to my first goal. 399 here I come soon.

Tonight I looked up the results for a senior citizen having weight loss surgery and the difference between the gastric bypass and gastric sleeve operation. I’m scheduled for a Bypass (7/31) because in addition to being overweight, I have diabetes 2 and hypertension. My A1C was 6.8 and with the addition of a third hypertension pill my BP has been around 120 over 70. I’m 5’8” and currently weigh 273. I read that in the 70-year old Bypass group, the loss of weight, improvement for diabetes and BP were less than I realized. The post operation morbidity and complication statistics were higher for a senior citizen than I thought. The statistics I was given were those of a under 50-year old...not me. The “less complicated” operation was the sleeve and you keep your small intestine for vitamin/mineral and of course more caloric (downside) absorption (than in a bypass surgery).

I’m on Medicare and Blue Cross, Blue Shield...it appears from an online check that Medicare does not include the Gastric Sleeve in its insurance coverage. My husband said, if I wished, he’d cover the sleeve operation because he felt it was safer and he liked the continued absorption of vitamin and minerals for someone my age (though I would still take my Bariatric vitamins and minerals).

So I’m thinking, even though it is late, I might switch to a Gastric sleeve operation in light of senior safety issues. I believe the weight loss, though statistically less (both operations) for my age, would improve both my diabetes 2 and hypertension. Using the weight loss surgery as a tool will help my continued weight loss, mobility and quality of my remaining years. What do you think?

Last edited:
I would of helped you with your research. But you always have time before surgery to talk with the doctor and change it. You need to know this is your choice no one elses. No one can make that up for you. That is why I had not told everyone about getting surgery before I did. I waited until I was already done to tell everyone. People will try to change you choice on everything. And you need to make that choice for you. If you feel safer with the sleeve then do it. I will back your choice 100% all you have to do to change the surgery is talk to you surgeon. There is no problem in that. I wish you the best of luck with it and keep me informed on what path you take and how it effects your life.

Tonight I looked up the results for a senior citizen having weight loss surgery and the difference between the gastric bypass and gastric sleeve operation. I’m scheduled for a Bypass (7/31) because in addition to being overweight, I have diabetes 2 and hypertension. My A1C was 6.8 and with the addition of a third hypertension pill my BP has been around 120 over 70. I’m 5’8” and currently weigh 273. I read that in the 70-year old Bypass group, the loss of weight, improvement for diabetes and BP were less than I realized. The post operation morbidity and complication statistics were higher for a senior citizen than I thought. The statistics I was given were those of a under 50-year old...not me. The “less complicated” operation was the sleeve and you keep your small intestine for vitamin/mineral and of course more caloric (downside) absorption (than in a bypass surgery).

I’m on Medicare and Blue Cross, Blue Shield...it appears from an online check that Medicare does not include the Gastric Sleeve in its insurance coverage. My husband said, if I wished, he’d cover the sleeve operation because he felt it was safer and he liked the continued absorption of vitamin and minerals for someone my age (though I would still take my Bariatric vitamins and minerals).

So I’m thinking, even though it is late, I might switch to a Gastric sleeve operation in light of senior safety issues. I believe the weight loss, though statistically less (both operations) for my age, would improve both my diabetes 2 and hypertension. Using the weight loss surgery as a tool will help my continued weight loss, mobility and quality of my remaining years. What do you think?
I am 66 and had the sleeve. My Medicare paid for it. I also have supplemental insurance that paid for nearly everything else. The ONLY thing that wasn't paid was $275 for the (over priced) dietician visit.

I am 66 and had the sleeve. My Medicare paid for it. I also have supplemental insurance that paid for nearly everything else. The ONLY thing that wasn't paid was $275 for the (over priced) dietician visit.
Thank you so very much...your post has helped soooooo much. I was “terrified” that Medicare would not cover my operation if I switched from the bypass to the sleeve!! I called the doctor’s office this morning and was told to come in tomorrow (the day before scheduled surgery) morning to talk to the operating dr. about my request. I have supplemental insurance also and paid $250 for the dietition and psychologist. I can sleep in peace tonight!

Last edited:

Hello Joan2019- I hope things go smoothly at the doctor's consultation. They should be able to easily confirm your insurance coverage. Best of luck and keep us posted!

So I’m thinking, even though it is late, I might switch to a Gastric sleeve operation in light of senior safety issues. What do you think?

Either procedure would benefit you greatly. And I do think the sleeve is less invasive since it can often be done laparoscopically. But considering the types of major surgery doctors do on senior citizens, bariatric surgery is practically a cakewalk. I don't remember how many surgeries my dad had from the time he was 60 until he died at 85. But it seems like he was always in the hospital and practically got his heart rebuilt in all those surgery they performed. You will do fine as long as you don't have any pre-existing conditions that make surgery dangerous.

I haven’t checked in for a while. Summer is so busy here. School starts next week. But I just wanted to check on you and say hello! I’m happy to hear you are recovering well. I knew you would probably do great.

I haven’t checked in for a while. Summer is so busy here. School starts next week. But I just wanted to check on you and say hello! I’m happy to hear you are recovering well. I knew you would probably do great.

Thanks ttyson I know what u mean. My boys been busy bodies as well. And I think that is what helped push me through to get back up and going. Now my normal clothes is falling off of me.

Back