• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Update

Badgy

Hi everybody! Sorry I've been MIA, it's warm weather and I've been getting in my cardio by working on the house and yard. I'm feeling great even though I gained back half of what I lost.

So yesterday was the bariatric class and my psych eval is scheduled for June 22nd. Next stop, consult with surgeon and then... SURGERY DATE. ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ yay!

I've only been in this journey for six months but it seems longer.

I learned something yesterday though - that because my surgery is only offered in Ann Arbor, MI, and not within one hour of me, I can choose to have my surgery locally and the VA will pay for it. There's a very well-known Bariatric surgeon in my local city. However, I think I'm going to stick with the VA. . .

UNLESS. . . Ann Arbor has been primarily doing sleeves and they rarely do RnY. I'm starting the think the sleeve isn't the best choice for me. Especially after the month of May where I ate an entire Razzzleberry pie with vanilla ice cream in one sitting. Granted, it was my birthday, but still. ಠ︵ಠ

I've been hearing about so many people getting revisions with the sleeve because it wasn't enough. I don't know.

But anyhoo - that's my update.

I'm finally on my way! I hope this finds everyone happy and healthy and skinny, or on their way to all of those!

Badji, it's great to see you. I am sorry that you've been stress-eating but I am so happy to know you haven't given up The Path. Doesn't Ann Arbor have the big campus of UMich? I have a friend who is the big muckety-muck in the dental school there. And even though they don't do RYGB much, can you request that they do that procedure on you instead of the sleeve? You can justify if for no other reason than the fact that you will have horrendous heartburn after having the sleeve, and you have enough problems as it is. I would imagine they have great bariatric surgeons there. Anyway best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I attribute most of my energy lately to the CPAP. I have been go go go for a couple months now. I feel better than I have felt in years! So what if I look like a deep sea diver in bed - I feel great! I'm just mad I postponed the sleep test for so many years.

Man, Badgy, you really hit the nail on the head there. I have been wishing I had my CPAP machine for the last few months as I have had this difficulty breathing with my respiratory infection. I used to dab a little Vicks in my nostrils before I put the mask on and then let the warm air do a super vaporizing job on my sinuses and lungs. I never had a nasty cold that I couldn't handle once I got the CPAP machine. And one of the first things I'm going to do when I feel better is get a new sleep study and new equipments so I can sleep like that again. It is really shocking, the difference a good night sleep makes. And for a lot of people, getting the CPAP machine actually contributes to the ease of weight loss. Good for you!

I used to dab a little Vicks in my nostrils before I put the mask on and then let the warm air do a super vaporizing job on my sinuses and lungs.
That's a great idea! I actually just sniff (huff) the heck out of Vicks b4 bed - I love that smell! I quit using the vapor part of my CPAP because we sleep with our window open, even in the winter, and my water would condense in the tube and gurgle. I will start adding water again now that it's no longer frigid.

Back