• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Update

3momchaos

Happy Monday y’all! (Is that an oxymoron?) It’s been a while since I posted an update on my WLS post life. I’ve obviously been super building things. I am onto 2 new building projects, plus sprucing up some things, and getting ready for the kids to be off school for summer.
I just passed my 1 1/2 year surgiversary. As far as my weight goes, I’ve gone up a little, 179.2 as of this morning. So about 7lbs from where I was steady over the winter. BUT, I am not bothered. My goal range was originally between 180 and 190. I then readjusted since I was around 172 for months to 170-180. That being said, I must remember that being active is going to build muscle, especially muscle that I lost during my super inactive winter months full of fibro flares and sitting around. My clothes are all fitting the same, I am usually getting enough protein, and I’m always getting enough water, so if I readjust again back to 180-190, that will be ok with me.
I find it so important to remind myself that weight can be situational. During winter months before surgery I always put on weight, mainly because of holidays and inactivity, and lost it during the summer because I was being more active, aerobically. Now I’m being more active in lifting things, what I call passive exercise, but the type of activity is what’s making the difference right now.
Admittedly I had an indulgent weekend as well. My husband and I had a rare weekend without our kids, and we went to a super fancy steakhouse for dinner Saturday, and Sunday we were at the Cardinals game with his companies tickets. We were in the very front row at Busch stadium right behind home plate, and I got 7 autographs (including our new manager)
!! It was awesome! But those weekends of fun foods happen, and I won’t feel bad about it because it’s not everyday. I stopped letting food have mental power over me, so food doesn’t make me feel emotionally bad, and I have no food guilt. I think that’s made a huge difference for me during this whole process.

You look awesome, my surgery is June 7, and I am so excited and reading all the comments here helps so much with the pre op anxiety, any advice before surgery, I’m at 246 and my goal is around 170-180 as well, I’m getting a gastric bypass

You look awesome, my surgery is June 7, and I am so excited and reading all the comments here helps so much with the pre op anxiety, any advice before surgery, I’m at 246 and my goal is around 170-180 as well, I’m getting a gastric bypass
My biggest piece of advice is give yourself grace. Mishaps will occur, but they do not define anyone. Follow your surgeons instructions, walk as soon after surgery as they’ll allow, lots of sips on water after surgery, don’t feel bad if you want/need to keep drinking a protein shake daily (I do and I’m pretty far out), and look into an abdominal binder. It definitely helped the post op pain for me.

First of all you LOOK AMAZING! SO BEAUTIFUL! Secondly - I need to figure out how to not let food have such a mental hold over me - my identity is basically wrapped up in it as a daughter of an Italian mother and now I'm an Italian mom haha. I wish I could just eat food for "fuel" and not for alllll the other reasons. You look so good!

First of all you LOOK AMAZING! SO BEAUTIFUL! Secondly - I need to figure out how to not let food have such a mental hold over me - my identity is basically wrapped up in it as a daughter of an Italian mother and now I'm an Italian mom haha. I wish I could just eat food for "fuel" and not for alllll the other reasons. You look so good!
See that’s how I felt too, that food was wrapped into my identity. Not that I have an Italian mother or am one LOL I just had to reevaluate the place food had in my culture and identity. Family, celebrations, friends, that’s what should carry the weight of us, not what we consume as a part of it. Would it be any less special if you were with your whole family having grilled chicken? That’s just an off the top of my head example, but hopefully you can see where I’m going. Plus, there’s nothing wrong with food in celebration! Heck Christmas and Thanksgiving I ate a little of everything, just had to pace myself and remember that I couldn’t eat like that everyday.

See that’s how I felt too, that food was wrapped into my identity. Not that I have an Italian mother or am one LOL I just had to reevaluate the place food had in my culture and identity. Family, celebrations, friends, that’s what should carry the weight of us, not what we consume as a part of it. Would it be any less special if you were with your whole family having grilled chicken? That’s just an off the top of my head example, but hopefully you can see where I’m going. Plus, there’s nothing wrong with food in celebration! Heck Christmas and Thanksgiving I ate a little of everything, just had to pace myself and remember that I couldn’t eat like that everyday.
you're totally right - it's the family time that's important. ANd I think another problem is that all of the "special" foods are made way too often by me when they should really be celebration type things.

Wowza! You look amazing girl. And your attitude is spot on. No one went into surgery hoping to "diet" for the rest of their lives or to beat themselves up. I'm glad you've found such a healthy attitude toward food and your weight. Glad you had a great weekend.

I hope I don’t get into trouble for saying this BUT you don’t look like 179. You look more like 150. Seriously, you look amazing and your body proportions look perfect.
I completely agree with this. 3mom, you absolutely look at least 30lbs less than what the scale says (maybe your scale is wrong lol). You are amazing, beautiful, and awe-inspiring. Thank you for sharing with us so much of your journey. Woohoo!!! ❤❤

Happy Monday y’all! (Is that an oxymoron?) It’s been a while since I posted an update on my WLS post life. I’ve obviously been super building things. I am onto 2 new building projects, plus sprucing up some things, and getting ready for the kids to be off school for summer.
I just passed my 1 1/2 year surgiversary. As far as my weight goes, I’ve gone up a little, 179.2 as of this morning. So about 7lbs from where I was steady over the winter. BUT, I am not bothered. My goal range was originally between 180 and 190. I then readjusted since I was around 172 for months to 170-180. That being said, I must remember that being active is going to build muscle, especially muscle that I lost during my super inactive winter months full of fibro flares and sitting around. My clothes are all fitting the same, I am usually getting enough protein, and I’m always getting enough water, so if I readjust again back to 180-190, that will be ok with me.
I find it so important to remind myself that weight can be situational. During winter months before surgery I always put on weight, mainly because of holidays and inactivity, and lost it during the summer because I was being more active, aerobically. Now I’m being more active in lifting things, what I call passive exercise, but the type of activity is what’s making the difference right now.
Admittedly I had an indulgent weekend as well. My husband and I had a rare weekend without our kids, and we went to a super fancy steakhouse for dinner Saturday, and Sunday we were at the Cardinals game with his companies tickets. We were in the very front row at Busch stadium right behind home plate, and I got 7 autographs (including our new manager)View attachment 5217!! It was awesome! But those weekends of fun foods happen, and I won’t feel bad about it because it’s not everyday. I stopped letting food have mental power over me, so food doesn’t make me feel emotionally bad, and I have no food guilt. I think that’s made a huge difference for me during this whole process.
View attachment 5204
You look wonderful!!!

Back