• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Updates...

Pixx

Hey everyone, how are you doing? I can see a few are updating how they are doing directly before or after surgery but then it gets kind of quiet...How is everyone? How's the journey so far? What are you struggling with at the moment? Except HoJo...who can't get a team to work together to get her started on her journey..so frustrating! Have you had an appointment lately? Fallen off the wagon and need to get restarted? Still going through the recovery phase? Give us an update and tell us how you are doing, we care and want to help!

I've hit a wall myself. I'm sitting at 4 weeks with no weight change. I go to my 9 month check up today and I'm sure to not have a pleased surgeon. o_O I have lost inches but having gallbladder surgery set me back big time. I couldn't exercise for 2 weeks, then I got an infection that cost me another 2 weeks of exercise. I totally got off my protein schedule with all the different medicines and junk. :eek: I just completely got off track of everything but vitamins. I can tell the difference too after about 4 days. I lost energy, I haven't felt good for the past month. Since I've had bypass I don't have hunger anymore so I forget to eat which is such a struggle to remember and do anyway when I don't want to. :( I am really struggling to get back into protein shakes. I feel like I've been on the liquid train for way too long and once I got off I want to stay off, even though it would impact my health in a bad way. Ugh! The nausea returned full force after about 5 days of meds and little protein which I struggled to get through as well. Now I am back to taking a bite of something and waiting to see if I will get sick, which happens with more than half of the things I eat. I don't look forward to my appt. later today at all. I hate when they ask about a weight goal, I never have an answer except 'healthy' - whatever that means for me. If I were hungry, this is the time I would want a big glass of milk and some Oreos! :oops: Just not in the brightest spot on this journey at the moment. :confused:

I wish I could provide some words of wisdom, but I'm not quite where you are in this journey. I do hope your surgeon has seen this happen before and is understanding. Maybe, someone else on this board will have some helpful advice for you. I am cheering you on to keep at it and hopefully, the weight will start coming off again!

Welp... I am back on the shakes. I just was not eating enough protein. I am also not getting enough fiber. My weight is fluctuating. Even with the precancerous polyps removed I still has issues with constipation. Hence the fluctuating.
It seems as though I have less sugar issues so eat less. Like three meals a day but i think i might be under doing it. Not sure though because i have three different dieticians and they all have an opinion. So I'm trying to find a compromise.
I knew going in would be hard and I have contemplated cancelling my 9month appointment. I dont want to hear it or see the silly scale. I know i cant do this by myself but sheesh i would rather then face my short comings going on file. At my sixth month i was told to try to lose 17 pounds and I doubt I did. I weigh myself once a week. My clothes and the scale of course argue while i sleep.
Exercise has improved a bit. Not much but a bit. It has to be more than it is. But if i dont eat right i dont have energy. Circles. Other than that things are good :/ .

I didn't end up making my 9 month appointment and I don't feel bad about it. I had to work over and just couldn't make it. I imagine it would not have gone that well either, being that having my gall bladder removed put a major set back in my weight loss the past 2 months. I was rocking along but it threw me for a loop. I'm also dealing with this eye issue and seeing different doctors doesn't inspire me to worry about much other than work, sleep and my kiddos. I did finally get back to working out these past two weeks and whew, it has been exhausting! I read a few posts on here where people continued to lose weight 2 and 3 years after their surgery so not having reached my goal by one year out isn't gonna stress me out anymore! I have had steady weight loss with stops and starts along the way and I imagine it will continue until I decide to 'maintain' things. I am still on protein shakes, protein coffee and very small meals and the nausea is at a minimum so long as I stick with safe foods :)

I thought I was the only one stressed out about meeting weight loss goals so I will get approved to have a first appointment with a weight loss surgeon! I see it never ends even post-operatively! Well, what I just learned is that I'm putting more stress on myself to lose weight at a certain speed than the weight loss program I am in really is placing on me! Yes, I have been in this pre-op program for 8 months already instead of the 'typical' 6 months. I've been told first that I was losing weight too fast and now I'm being told that I'm having a "slow weight loss" because I gained 4 lbs and I only lost 1 of them. But the bottom line is, I can't make my body lose weight at any particular rate and I'm also not perfect with my diet and exercise. Bottom line is, we are all doing the best we can and we need to stop stressing ourselves out because someone is going to tell us we're not losing weight at the right speed. Whatever rate your weight is going down is right for you...as long as it's not going up!;)

Well it is time to jump back on the wagon, and get back to protein shakes. Ugh. I don't like them. I am going to split it up with protein soup and do that every other day. I just can't get in enough protein daily without having the shakes and I need to stop procrastinating, worst habit ever! I go to have my yearly evaluation in about 3 weeks, not sure how that is going to go but will let you know. I hope everyone is ticking along and getting closer to goals and dates!

I have my first Surgeon's appointment next week on 6/7. I just had oral surgery yesterday and can't chew anything. I'm trying to stick with the protein shakes, but I guess it gets boring after awhile. Soup sounds good (broth, anyway, for now). I guess I should be getting an idea of how much protein I'm taking in for when surgery time finally comes . . .

I have my first Surgeon's appointment next week on 6/7. I just had oral surgery yesterday and can't chew anything. I'm trying to stick with the protein shakes, but I guess it gets boring after awhile. Soup sounds good (broth, anyway, for now). I guess I should be getting an idea of how much protein I'm taking in for when surgery time finally comes . . .
Woot woot! That appointment really shows that the ball is rollin. I too am tired but need protein shakes. I saw on amazon and walmart the protein fruit flavored water. Im kinda hesitant to try em. I do find that buying powder lasts longer than ready made shakes. My other concern is fiber. Not getting enough of either one is making me grumble.

I have a question for all of you who have had their weight loss surgery by laparoscopy. I was wondering how much pain did you have in the first one or two days post-op? :rolleyes:

When I saw my surgeon, he stated there was minimal pain. He stated that he usually prescribes about 10 tablets of oxycodone (like in Percocet), some Tylenol, and some Celebrex (drug like Motrin). But, he told me that he can't give me Celebrex because I have kidney disease and he doesn't want to give me the oxycodone because I have a remote history of substance abuse. So he only wants to give me Tylenol. :eek:

Do you think the Tylenol is enough right after surgery? o_O

I just had oral surgery twice in the last 3 months and I was given oxycodone both times with no problems. I only needed it for 4 days each time. I do take Suboxone and I needed to stop it each time 2 weeks before the surgeries so the oxycodone would work. :rolleyes:

I'm in a quandary because if my surgeon doesn't want to prescribe any oxycodone or other stronger pain medicine, I wouldn't stop the Suboxone pre-op. But, what happens after surgery if I have severe pain and I'm still on Suboxone? Then these strong pain medications won't work! If I go off the Suboxone and don't receive any of the strong pain medications, I will be feeling lousy both before and after the surgery because I will be in opioid withdrawal. :confused:

I haven't had problems with substance abuse for over 15 years. I see a Psychiatrist every week for depression and he also manages the Suboxone, especially when I go off it and on it. He actually was the one who suggested I ask you forum members what you think. :D

What do all of you think I should do, based on the amount of pain you had after surgery? Should I just use the Tylenol alone or go off the Suboxone and see if the surgeon will prescribe a stronger pain medicine like oxycodone? :rolleyes:

The pain after surgery is minimal. You will experience more discomfort and pain from the gas they fill you up as your body gets rid of it than the actual incisions and pain from the surgery. One of your incisions, (probably on your left side) where they sew up your new stomach and tie things together for the rerouting will be the most sore of all of them, but really, it isn't that bad. I used Tylenol most of the time and for the times I just seemed sore and couldn't sleep, I was prescribed Tylenol with hydrocodone. Most of the initial pain for me was because I don't sleep on my back, and you have no choice but to sleep on your back for about a week. I would fall asleep, begin to roll to my side and ouch! I was reminded really quickly that I couldn't sleep on my side...

The thing is, after this surgery, your body isn't the same. It doesn't react the same to anything, so your norm is completely off base. The same things you could tolerate or needed more of just kind of disappear with your old stomach. Small amounts pack a huge punch in the new world after surgery. I can take 1/2 a dosage cup of Nyquil now and it will knock me out. It is kind of amazing and very hard to get used to in the beginning. 1/2 a cup of liquid Tylenol, about 250 mg will completely take away any pain I have now. It just works immediately and totally. It was that way just one day after surgery and has remained that way ever since.

I know that when I read on here about how hesitant people are before the surgery because our imaginations make up for us huge amounts of pain and suffering, it makes some turn away from the surgery and others panic. Really and truly, it was much harder and more painful having a C-section than this surgery. The challenges that come with recovery, like figuring out you ate something too quickly, you ate solids before you were supposed to, you have your first experience of dumping syndrome or you suffer from nausea and realize you will never throw up like a 'normal' person again are harder to deal with than the surgery and recovery from the incisions. I think you can do it without too much extra pain meds, but go for it if you want to be more comfortable in your recovery. Either way, I wish you the best! It will be here in no time!

Thanks, Pixx. I know that you are very direct and honest in the information that you provide. Sounds like I can stick to the Tylenol only. :cool:

Pixx is absolutely right. I made the mistake of taking ther Percocet when really Tylenol was better and easier on me. The other stuff had me backed up about two weeks worth of crap. The gas is the worst but i would endure it all over if it came down to that:eek:. The surgery "pain" feels like you got a sore and dont know where or how. Something that can be ignored. I hope that makes sense. I dont mind farting up a storm in place of that :D. I also took the meds because they were prescribed (for a couple of doses) til i realized that, shoot, i didnt haveta. :oops:

I think the worse thing about the procedure itself is getting the I.V. :( i oughta be used to those by now. My veins disagree with the needles and the nurses. But that can be compaired to the pain you might feel a couple of hours after waking up in recovery. So yes ma'am Tylenol should do it if you need to. ;)

Well it is time to jump back on the wagon, and get back to protein shakes. Ugh. I don't like them. I am going to split it up with protein soup and do that every other day. I just can't get in enough protein daily without having the shakes and I need to stop procrastinating, worst habit ever! I go to have my yearly evaluation in about 3 weeks, not sure how that is going to go but will let you know. I hope everyone is ticking along and getting closer to goals and dates!
Did you have your yearly?...i forget things. If so could you refresh my memory on how that went? Maybe i better scroll down and see if you posted that updated info...cant find it, how are you Pixx?

Thank you, Carolyn, too. It seems that the consensus is thst Tylenol is sufficient. That puts my mind at ease. :p

Did you have your yearly?...i forget things. If so could you refresh my memory on how that went? Maybe i better scroll down and see if you posted that updated info...cant find it, how are you Pixx?

I can't remember the exact date, but I think it is next Friday, I am gonna call this morning and confirm the date. :p I did all the blood work and junk so he can either tell me I need to work on things or I'm okay for the moment. I'm guessing he will be all disappointed that I don't eat normal food but I kind of think he should just be okay with the fact that I can eat anything at all and move forward, but we will see... :rolleyes:

Oh HoJo, I don't know if this will be prescribed to you or not, but after my surgery I was prescribed a daily shot to thin my blood to avoid any clotting for the first 30 days after surgery. It was for me...like 'whoa!' because I wasn't a diabetic nor had I ever injected myself before. My husband ended up giving me the shot every day cause I'm a wimp...lol! I was also prescribed something to keep acid reflux and heartburn at bay while I recovered for the first 3 months. It actually caused some issues and I stopped taking it after 30 days. Of course, everyone is different and react different to meds but I had more issues with the prescriptions they gave me than naturally recovering from the surgery. I will say I'm a fan of the tiny melting Zofran pills if you encounter nausea. They work quickly and help a lot! I hope you have zero to minimal issues though! :D

I don't want to dwell on the post-op pain issue. I just want to try and cross off another one of my pre-op worries from my list. o_O

How long after you awoke following the surgery were you able to drink fluids and take medications by mouth? Did you receive any pain medicines through the IV initially? Did you receive only oral pain medications during your first 2 hospital days? Did you find that once you went home and you were either doing more physically or trying to rest in bed that you need the stronger pain medication? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help from your experiences! :p

I think i remember getting pain med through iv as soon as i woke...and the nurse was avail. I was encouraged to drink sips of water or chew ice chips after a couple hours. Mid day i was encouraged to walk the halls...slowly. Straightening up to stand was a bit of a pain. Trying not to open incisions no matter how much glue. I was encouraged to use a spirometer. Hourly. They do not want you laying around doing nothing. They ask that you sit in a chair or keep moving as much as possible but to take your time. So when i got home i made an effort to follow through. I had to if i wanted the gas to come out. Pain meds were not given orally because we have to refrain from solids for quite a while. At home i had to crush my meds and try to hide the flavor. yeck. In a clear liquid. But no more than a gulp...sip. The cups you usually use to take liquid cold meds were what i had to use to intake my fluids and crushed meds. It was disgusting no matter what i put the meds in. I rejoiced when i moved up to solids. The challenge for me was and still is not to drink too fast or eat and drink together. I dobt want my stomach outstretched after all that but its something I'm still working on. Hope i didnt miss a question.

I don't want to dwell on the post-op pain issue. I just want to try and cross off another one of my pre-op worries from my list. o_O

How long after you awoke following the surgery were you able to drink fluids and take medications by mouth? Did you receive any pain medicines through the IV initially? Did you receive only oral pain medications during your first 2 hospital days? Did you find that once you went home and you were either doing more physically or trying to rest in bed that you need the stronger pain medication? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help from your experiences! :p

I went in for surgery at 7 am, I was back in my room at 1 pm, and up and walking by 2 pm, every hour on the hour for my 2 day stay. Don't worry though, my surgery was actually two different surgeries in one, the first taking nearly 4.5 hours, the bypass only an hour and the rest was recovery before getting to my room. I only did ice chips the first day, the whole camera down the throat thing made my throat raw and all I wanted was ice. :) I was given what is known as a 'pain ball' - essentially, in my upper most incision, they inserted a small tube that attached to a ball outside my stomach, and over 2 days at a very slow rate, it gave me morphine for pain as it shrunk in size. I was offered more if needed, which would have been by IV, but I didn't ask for any pain meds in the hospital. Getting out of bed the first time hurt, and I sat in a chair nearly 24 hours before I would try to get back in that bed, lol! Mostly it just stretches sore spots and it was hard because getting in and out of a bed is all abdominal, right where they have just put holes in you. I did drink broth and water on day two, and walked, and walked, and walked some more. When I went home, the walking and sitting I didn't use pain meds, it doesn't really hurt. I had a hard time sleeping because I sleep on my side and you just can't after this surgery, so I would start to roll over and ouch! after 3 or 4 days of little sleep, I took some of the prescribed Tylenol with hydrocodone and slept in a recliner so I wouldn't roll over. After 2 weeks, I could gently lay on my side so there wasn't a need for more pain meds. :) The constant walking does 2 great things, it helps get rid of the gas quicker than sitting around and it stops blood clots from forming. Since I was off work for only 3 weeks, I did the walking, all of it, pretty much every hour for the full 3 weeks following surgery. It gets easier and you find yourself going longer and longer distances as you walk. It helped me recover faster and I didn't have pain with the walking either.

Back