• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Updates...

I really appreciate the time you both took to tell me in detail about what must have been difficult times for both of you. Pixx, it sounds looks like you had more complicated procedures.
You have both convinced me that I will need to be tapered off the Suboxone about 2 weeks before my surgery and I will need to let my surgeon know that I would prefer to have some oxycodone on hand to use with the Tylenol post-op. My Psychiatrist is willing to manage the taper off of Suboxone, ordering the oxycodone, and then switching me back off oxycodone back to Suboxone. He's also willing to speak to the surgeon. I really appreciate that.
I can't believe that my surgeon said I could go back to work 2 weeks after surgery! But he did say I would be very tired and he would find it acceptable if I went back to work up to 1 month after surgery. From what you are saying Pixx, it didn't sound like 3 weeks was enough for you to recover before going back to work.
My job doesn't require much actual physical labor. I spend a lot of time standing and speaking with people as well as sitting at a desk in front of a computer. There is a substantial amount of stress involved. I have a 5-day work week with an 8.5-hr work day, my commute consists of a 45-minute drive each way, and during most days, I
drive between 2 sites that are about 30 miles apart. I asked for 4 weeks off. I don't know how many weeks I will be granted though.
Well, once again thanks to both you Bariatric Gurus for providing the information I needed to make an informed decision. :D
Now, I think I need to focus on something other than the surgery because I'm becoming a nervous wreck and the surgery is 2 months away! :rolleyes:

I think if I hadn't had the extreme nausea, 3 weeks was okay. I took the first week back kind of easy as best I could. I had the nausea for 6 months after surgery so throwing up at work was a constant, which didn't feel good the first month or so, pulled muscles that were sore! But actual pain wasn't an issue after that, it is amazing how quickly the body heals itself!

Did you have your yearly?...i forget things. If so could you refresh my memory on how that went? Maybe i better scroll down and see if you posted that updated info...cant find it, how are you Pixx?

So I had my yearly visit with the surgeon Friday morning. It went well :) He said I had the highest levels of vitamin D in a bypass patient he's ever seen, wanted to know what I was using. Shout out to Tracy! I started using the Viactiv she suggested in October and they work really well, I take 2 - 650mg caramel chews a day since starting them and woot, it shows! He also was impressed with my vitamin levels and wants to start suggesting the liquid vitamins I'm using to his patients. He said to keep doing what I was doing and to keep losing the weight. I didn't have a 'goal' weight for my 1 year but I ended up losing 145 lbs. in this first year. He says I can continue to lose if I stick to what I am doing :D

Thats so awesome to hear! I dont know to trust my scale these days. It says i gained back weight after dropping to 273. Around 6 pounds back. I am a bit confused cause my diet has not changed. You think i should return to liquid or soft foods? I hope the scale is just telling me fibs. Ive tested at different times. It seems to me i am probably full of liquids already. Idk. My yearly is in August on the 30th. I hope to have done at least alright.

So I had my yearly visit with the surgeon Friday morning. It went well :) He said I had the highest levels of vitamin D in a bypass patient he's ever seen, wanted to know what I was using. Shout out to Tracy! I started using the Viactiv she suggested in October and they work really well, I take 2 - 650mg caramel chews a day since starting them and woot, it shows! He also was impressed with my vitamin levels and wants to start suggesting the liquid vitamins I'm using to his patients. He said to keep doing what I was doing and to keep losing the weight. I didn't have a 'goal' weight for my 1 year but I ended up losing 145 lbs. in this first year. He says I can continue to lose if I stick to what I am doing :D

What wonderful news! I can't imagine losing 145 lbs in 1 year! And you have great vitamin levels, too! Pixx you truly are a Bariatric Guru! You really know what you're doing. That's why you give the rest of us such good advice. :)

I can't even imagine losing 100 lbs, let alone 145 lbs! I've been in my pre-op program for almost 9 months and I'm struggling so hard to hold onto a 20-lb weight loss. I have to see them every month. I hold my breath each time I'm weighed hoping that my weight doesn't go up! It certainly is not going down. :eek:

I always got stuck losing only 15 lbs whenever I tried to diet in the past--even in this program's non-surgical weight group in the past. I keep telling them that each time they tell me I haven't lost any more weight. In fact, I'm cancelling my appointment this Friday because I think I'm up 2 lbs and I don't want to get yelled at again. :confused:

Pixx, I can't wait to see what amazing things happen for you over the next year! :D

Thats so awesome to hear! I dont know to trust my scale these days. It says i gained back weight after dropping to 273. Around 6 pounds back. I am a bit confused cause my diet has not changed. You think i should return to liquid or soft foods? I hope the scale is just telling me fibs. Ive tested at different times. It seems to me i am probably full of liquids already. Idk. My yearly is in August on the 30th. I hope to have done at least alright.

It could just be a little water retention, I have that a bit each month. It sucks. o_O

Well, I'm glad I don't have to like my surgeon. I didn't get to choose my surgeon. If I did choose him, I sure would have questioned my ability to select one I can get along with! :eek:

I saw him for the second time today. It's also the last time I see him before my surgery on 8/20/18. Unfortunately, he's very arrogant. :mad:

The first time I spoke with him we discussed immediate post-op pain. He insisted I only need Tylenol, but "it's my decision." Today, I told him that I don't want to rely on Tylenol alone in case I have severe pain. I have a history of substance abuse that has not been a problem for over 20 years. But, I am on Suboxone, which blocks the ability of morphine oxycodone, etc to give pain relief. I told my surgeon that my Psychiatrist will taper me off the Suboxone before surgery in case I need a stronger pain medication during the first 3 days post-op.

Well Dr. Surgeon says, "It's your choice, but we're only going to use Tylenol." How exactly is that "my choice"? o_O

So now I'm even more stressed out because I start the 2-week liquid diet on Monday and I'm worried that I might have post-op pain that Tylenol won't relieve.

It's too late to try and go to another hospital so I can have a different surgeon. I'm so bummed out...:(

Well, I'm glad I don't have to like my surgeon. I didn't get to choose my surgeon. If I did choose him, I sure would have questioned my ability to select one I can get along with! :eek:

I saw him for the second time today. It's also the last time I see him before my surgery on 8/20/18. Unfortunately, he's very arrogant. :mad:

The first time I spoke with him we discussed immediate post-op pain. He insisted I only need Tylenol, but "it's my decision." Today, I told him that I don't want to rely on Tylenol alone in case I have severe pain. I have a history of substance abuse that has not been a problem for over 20 years. But, I am on Suboxone, which blocks the ability of morphine oxycodone, etc to give pain relief. I told my surgeon that my Psychiatrist will taper me off the Suboxone before surgery in case I need a stronger pain medication during the first 3 days post-op.

Well Dr. Surgeon says, "It's your choice, but we're only going to use Tylenol." How exactly is that "my choice"? o_O

So now I'm even more stressed out because I start the 2-week liquid diet on Monday and I'm worried that I might have post-op pain that Tylenol won't relieve.

It's too late to try and go to another hospital so I can have a different surgeon. I'm so bummed out...:(
his arrogance might mean that he believes hes really good at what he does. Hold him to it. I am sending hugs and good vibes.

Hello Everyone!

I would love to hear from everyone who is following this forum! What type of weight-loss surgery did you have, when did you have your surgery, and how are you doing now?

Thanks! :D

I'm still following :) I had RNY surgery on June 19th, 2017. I'm doing okay, it's an uphill battle but I'm still on that narrow road of losing weight. :)

Hi Pixx. Glad to see you are still following. I thought I would see if anyone else is out there following this forum!

I posted the question and I forgot to put in my response! :p

I had RNY on 8/20/18. I have had a very bumpy post-operative course. I'm hoping that things will start to smooth out soon. :rolleyes:

On a positive note, I entered Onederland two days ago. I haven't been there for over 25 years!! :D

Hi Carolyn! It looks like you might have snuck in for a peek here!! How are you doing?? We miss you!!! Please let us know!!

Hi Carolyn! It looks like you might have snuck in for a peek here!! How are you doing?? We miss you!!! Please let us know!!
Yes i sneaky. I am doing terrible. So i came on to reread a few lines of encouragement. I cant seem to stay on track. You know the season for chocolate has arrived. What would happen during the other two holidays? I bought a lot of protein mix so i hope that helps. I am still chuckin along. But i feel like im on a hamster wheel.

How is it going HoJo, things improving over time? Carolyn, are things getting better? I suggest if you are going to eat chocolate, get the miniatures, and use them as a reward after you've had a protein shake!

How is it going HoJo, things improving over time? Carolyn, are things getting better? I suggest if you are going to eat chocolate, get the miniatures, and use them as a reward after you've had a protein shake!
Hi y'all. Things are slightly better. I still have issues but am able to do the shakes well. And i kept off two pounds for at least a week. I dont know if i mentioned the arthritis in my spine. Well most exercises are out. Especially since i hurt my back really bad last week. I am researching new exercises and trying to stick with the few i found on Pinterest. So things are not great but i have a plan. How are y'all?

Hi Carolyn and Pixx:
I'm still alive! :D Even though my stricture was opened, I still am having a lot of problems with dense, solid proteins. There are only a very few I can tolerate and not all the time. :( I depend a lot upon my own "protein shakes" which consist of nonfat milk, sugar free chocolate syrup, and a scoop of Unjury protein. It's getting boring, though! :eek:
I did have a brief foray into "chocolate land" around Halloween. I guess I don't have dumping syndrome to help keep me away from sweets! o_O It certainly is hard to get out of that "chocolate pit" because I don't have the self-control to eat just 1 piece. :oops: It slowed my weight loss down!
I hope you guys are doing okay. Glad to see you both weighed in--no pun intended! :cool:

Hi Carolyn and Pixx:
I'm still alive! :D Even though my stricture was opened, I still am having a lot of problems with dense, solid proteins. There are only a very few I can tolerate and not all the time. :( I depend a lot upon my own "protein shakes" which consist of nonfat milk, sugar free chocolate syrup, and a scoop of Unjury protein. It's getting boring, though! :eek:
I did have a brief foray into "chocolate land" around Halloween. I guess I don't have dumping syndrome to help keep me away from sweets! o_O It certainly is hard to get out of that "chocolate pit" because I don't have the self-control to eat just 1 piece. :oops: It slowed my weight loss down!
I hope you guys are doing okay. Glad to see you both weighed in--no pun intended! :cool:
Hey. At least it was just chocolate and not sweet tarts or now n later. I don't miss those as much as a good Butterfinger or Reese's or...let me stop.
But i am glad to know you are still doing your best. I wish I could consume willpower like I do those protein shakes (like my life depended on em). I even had a can of soda. But! I lost 3 pounds.
I found out that depending on your health insurance it will pay for gym membership. So someday I'll join a gym! Lol. I know I sound terrible but hey... Could be worse, right? Keep up the grand efforts Hojo.

Good to hear from both of you! I also have issues with dense proteins, which puts most of the protein shakes on the market not something I can tolerate, even now nearly 1.5 years later, my taste buds are forever changed and the texture is too much. I've also discovered that my tool is working just fine, I ate too quickly yesterday without remembering to thoroughly chew and take small bites and I suffered for it miserably. :(

Life got away from me for awhile, and I haven't kept up with lbs. lost lately. I haven't gained anything back but I also don't feel any lighter...:oops: I decided that I would reset and refocus after the holidays. I am going to do the liquid diet for 7 days to reset my mind and body, there is nothing quite so miserable as that diet so I hope it helps and works. :rolleyes: I'm then going to push forward towards hopefully more weight loss. I have a hard time with focusing on that part of this whole process since I am just grateful I can actually eat again but I figured that since I went through the surgery I can give it an honest try now that I've completely healed from the initial injury and reason for the WLS in the first place. We'll see o_O

I hope you both had a great Turkey day! Time to brave December ladies! All those sweets and baked goods...I didn't realize until last year that December is truly the worst month for it! We can do it! However, no overkill...do enjoy a little bit of something this season. Not a ton of something...but a maybe a small amount of your favorite something as a reward for all the work you've put in this year and all the work your going to be putting in next year! Happy Holidays!

Hi. I'm not doing that good. Just when I think I resolved an issue to the weight loss barrier I have to rethink it all over again. Sometimes it seems like the weight is trying to come off 1 pound at a time. Every few days. Then it come back. But i am hoping that it's water retention. The bariatric program pretty much have up on me. Said the surgery didn't help much. Or some such. Maybe I misunderstood. But either way I'm moody.

Back