• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

UPPER CASE

There's this thing called Netiquette which has been around for all the time I've been participating in groups. You can probably find it on the internet. this is just one of the sites that list some of Netiquette's main guidelines:

One thing that's not there, but every oldtimer knows is important, is not to write in all capital letters when posting. It would actually be better to write in all lower case. It's a matter of readability.

It's so hard on my eyes to try to read a post in all caps that I just skip it and go on to the next one.

I think if you go to the page that lists the forums and guidelines, you will find this suggestion there.

What people say is important. I don't want to skip their message because of all-caps, but it's so hard for me to read that I have no choice.

What's important is your message. In Netiquette, All Caps is considered shouting. It actually upsets me even though I don't want to be upset. I think in my case, because of the horrible abuse I suffered as a child with a mother who beat me in all kinds of ways, I associate all caps with anger, yelling and shaming.

Anyway, it's an unwritten rule, or in some cases, a written rule but not everyone realizes how negative it can feel for others.

I'm curious if it bothers anyone else. At the very least, it seems like a method of communications written by angry people or unruly children.

How do you all feel about it?

My kids told me that a long time ago. If i would text them in all caps they would say, "Why are you yelling at me?" I did not know this was yelling. I now no longer type in caps. As you can see i dont even capitalize my i"s! :p

Back