• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vaccine

Is anyone here planning to get the COVID vaccine, or NOT to get it?

It hasn't been properly tested so we don't know if it works for the long term.

But it has been widely distributed and used internationally. I feel like we're not getting definitive information about it.

I'm pushing 70 and it's a real double-edged sword. If I get COVID, it could kill me. If I get the vaccine, it could interact with Rx meds I take daily, or my body might not be able to handle it.

But I think I'm going to get it. I was out getting groceries for hours yesterday, standing in long lines, being bumped into and bumping into others. I had to bag my own groceries because checkout personnel isn't allowed to touch bags customers bring. People seemed so afraid of others.

It was so frightening, I cut my shopping trip short and sped home. My pantry is already filled to capacity, but I received vouchers from the city that I have to use at Safeway every month. It's a lot of money to spend, but the vouchers can be used for cleaning supplies or any other necessity.

But being required to get out there makes me so nervous. I don't think I really have a choice.

How do you feel about getting vaccinated?

I've read a bunch about this and will be getting the vaccine when it is available. One of the arguments against getting it is that the development was rushed (Warp Speed?!). From what I've gathered, the years spent in development of most vaccines involves significant time writing grants, getting funding, etc--read: bureaucracy. That wasn't needed in this case because we are obvi in the middle of a pandemic. Also, the vaccine does not have any dead virus in it but rather a "protein string is cloaked in messenger RNA that instead teach our cells how to make a protein—or even just a piece of a protein—that triggers an immune response inside our bodies. That immune response, which produces antibodies, is what protects us from getting infected if the real virus enters our bodies."

"The mRNA delivery system has been studied for years in the development in vaccines for rabies, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and Zika."

TL/DR This ain't your momma's vaccine.

We are not planning on getting it immediately... although I am NOT an anti-vaxxer, I am VERY concerned about the rush thru the FDA approval. After watching the documentary "Bleeding Edge" on Netflix (highly recommend that one), the miniscule amount of faith I may have been able to muster has gone to zero that the FDA has the interest of human beings at heart. A simple comparison of what is allowed into our foods and personal care items vs. Europe is frightening.

If I were younger perhaps I would take a step back and wait and see. Since I am in the senior category and I've had some health issues, I feel I am at higher risk so I am not hesitating to get it. I literally came extremely close to losing my life this summer. I had sepsis and internal bleeding. I was intubated and my BP was extremely low. There was an angel looking over me. You know how they show on TV or in movies when someone is dying that they have a dream and something is pulling them back from the verge of death? Well I had one of those dreams. So for me, I don't want to take the chance of not getting the vaccine. I certainly didn't go through all that to have Covid do me in.

I will take it when my time comes. Of course at 50 with no underlying conditions and an "unessential" job, (even though I work with the public all day/every day) I will be pretty much at the end of the line. I AM concerned about the long term effects, however I am also concerned about the long term effects of CoVid. So, really it's a take your chances kind of deal anyway. I'll worry about later .. later. Vaccine = possible side effects. CoVid = possible death for me or my loved ones. That's the decision for me.

I will take it when my time comes. Of course at 50 with no underlying conditions and an "unessential" job, (even though I work with the public all day/every day) I will be pretty much at the end of the line. I AM concerned about the long term effects, however I am also concerned about the long term effects of CoVid. So, really it's a take your chances kind of deal anyway. I'll worry about later .. later. Vaccine = possible side effects. CoVid = possible death for me or my loved ones. That's the decision for me.
Honestly dying of covid sounds better than surviving it and dealing with the disabilities that aren't even all documented yet. I work at a large govt agency and we'll probably be required to get it when it's available.

I've said this many times because it is a huge pet peeve of mine that people think Purell, which is only alcohol suspended in a gel, will prevent them from getting or giving covid-19 to someone else. It's not true.

a virus cannot be defeated a virus cannot be defeated except by using an antiviral. Of course it will help if we wash our hands and wear a mask. I never go out without latex gloves, a mask, and a face shield that I got back in the day when I used to spray pesticides. I also have a face mask like you use to protect yourself from noxious gases, but I haven't been using that.

and for the and for the record, I don't believe for one second that Trump had covid-19. I will refrain from expressing everything I feel about that subhuman at this point but please

I don't want to get it so I I don't want to get it so I protect myself. I also do not want to give it. I want covid-19 and with me. I wonder how well we could not down this pandemic if everyone would just take one week to isolate, mask up, protect their hands and use the telephone only to speak to loved ones.

It seems like a big sacrifice but with 15 million cases in the us alone and 300,000 deaths of so many loved ones, I feel there is a perspective on it that we can all learn from. I do not want to live in a time of plague. This. Of time has been hard enough. I want to live the rest of my life healthy and die in my sleep. I want the same thing for everybody else. I think of the people in this group everyday and I hope and pray that you are all healthy and send you the good vibes when I know that you're one of the people on the front line.

And since I haven't said it, please let me express to you my incredible admiration for your strength and all of the risks you are taking. I can never express my gratitude enough.

I attend meetings every other week with three public health MDs and other county health officials here in the Portland, Oregon area. Based on what these professionals have shared and what I've read, I have no concerns about the safety of the vaccines given the process and requirements to confirm their safety and efficacy. When it's available to me, I'll take it. I may be able to get it as early as January, if I do get it early, I'll share my experience.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to take it, it will very likely make you feel flu like symptoms for 24-48 hours, so if you don't want to miss work, you might want to try to get it at the end of your week. If you don't have a problem missing work then do it whenever.

Part of the distribution issue is two of the major vaccines require extreme cold storage that is usually only found in hospitals, or sometimes larger emergency management organizations, such as in our metro area. It's going to take longer to get the vaccines to some people, most likely people in underserved areas will be the last to get it, unfortunately. It will help when a couple of the vaccines that do not require deep freeze storage are distributed, that will make it quite a bit easier.

In the end, other than some flu symptoms, there I'm not concerned about anything, but is is a personal decision.

It's not going to stop the mask requirements. There isn't enough data to show if a person who is vaccinated and gets the real virus can still pass it along to someone else before their body has eradicated it. It's going to take a combination of vaccines, exposure and antibodies to get us to a point of herd immunity, and with so many people either scared of the vaccine or have a "liberty" issue with wearing masks, I'm afraid a lot more people are going to die long before we get this under control. I expect the European Union, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand will be back to relative normal way before the U.S. because of these issues. It's unfortunate.

Anyway, I'm taking it. If I get it early, I'll let you know.

I am considered part of health care typically whicj is first in line- unsure if that is true for the line up on this. As said earlier I won't get it. I also will not give it to my kids (which would be the last group to get it). I too don't trust the speed at which it was made, lots of reported side effects and no know idea what the long term implications are. Also it was stated on at least one of them that it is not safe for under 16. I sont feel comfortable making myself or kids a guinea pig. If I wasn't part of the health care field then I would be second to last in line to get it anyway.

I am considered part of health care typically whicj is first in line- unsure if that is true for the line up on this. As said earlier I won't get it. I also will not give it to my kids (which would be the last group to get it). I too don't trust the speed at which it was made, lots of reported side effects and no know idea what the long term implications are. Also it was stated on at least one of them that it is not safe for under 16. I sont feel comfortable making myself or kids a guinea pig. If I wasn't part of the health care field then I would be second to last in line to get it anyway.
Where people line up will be up to the States for the most part, and some states pass it down to County health departments. Where I am, healthcare workers, first responders, 911, and care homes are all in the first group. I know that in my area, no one will be required to take the vaccine, it's totally voluntary. I'll take it if offered. I probably wouldn't worry about my daughter getting it with the reduced risk for her age group.

Back