• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Very discouraged newbie

I am feeling extremely discouraged. I started liquid diet on March 9th. Surgery on the 23rd. I have only lost 25lbs. I spoke with the nurse today and she confirmed I am doing everything right. She thought maybe I wasn’t getting enough calories but couldn’t really think of any other reason why I may not be losing. This just doesn’t seem normal. I really thought I would have lost much more by now. Any ideas/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am feeling extremely discouraged. I started liquid diet on March 9th. Surgery on the 23rd. I have only lost 25lbs. I spoke with the nurse today and she confirmed I am doing everything right. She thought maybe I wasn’t getting enough calories but couldn’t really think of any other reason why I may not be losing. This just doesn’t seem normal. I really thought I would have lost much more by now. Any ideas/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I started my pre op on the 10th and had my surgery on the 24th of March. My starting weight was 258lbs. I weighed 240lbs on the day of surgery. I now weigh 230lbs and feel like I should be losing more. I’ve been 230lbs since the 1st week. I don’t know if it matters but I had the rny.

Hi y'all and welcome to the group. Please try not to get too discouraged by the numbers on the scale this early in your journeys. As long as you are getting 64+ ozs of water and 60+ gms of protein daily, and incorporating movement in your daily routine, you will lose weight. Your weight loss journey already has started, and it will continue.

In the meantime, celebrate all of your NSVs (nonscale victories) - clothes beginning to loosen, zippers zipping up all the way, buttons closing, walking without being breathless after a few steps, etc. Try not weighing yourself more than once weekly. The weight will continue melting off of you, although you will stall occasionally. Good luck and please stay in touch with this group. ❤❤❤❤

Hi y'all and welcome to the group. Please try not to get too discouraged by the numbers on the scale this early in your journeys. As long as you are getting 64+ ozs of water and 60+ gms of protein daily, and incorporating movement in your daily routine, you will lose weight. Your weight loss journey already has started, and it will continue.

In the meantime, celebrate all of your NSVs (nonscale victories) - clothes beginning to loosen, zippers zipping up all the way, buttons closing, walking without being breathless after a few steps, etc. Try not weighing yourself more than once weekly. The weight will continue melting off of you, although you will stall occasionally. Good luck and please stay in touch with this group. ❤❤❤❤
Thank you for the encouragement. I am doing all that you mentioned. I do have a severe back issue and knee problems. Reason for surgery was to hopefully get rid of all the pain and meds. I use a cane to walk, which makes it difficult to be very active. I will continue to stay positive and keep keeping on. Thanks again

I also had VSG on 3/23. I’ve lost 10 pounds. But I’m down 3 sizes! Are you taking measurements?

I think that sounds amazing! You lost 25 pounds that is so good. I know I would feel the same as you (discouraged) so this is for me and you haha. I am starting the liquid diet in 4 weeks and Im dreading it. Does it feel like you are super hungry or weak at all? Good luck!

Welcome Jodie. I know it can seem slow at first but give it time. Your body is adjusting to a drastically lower calorie intake. As long as you are following the surgeon or nutritionist's eating plan, you are good. However, you can always consult the nutritionist and your center if you are concerned.

I have also felt bad or worried along the way that I am not losing "enough", but there is some advice that multiple people have posted through the years here in various forms though that really helped me, which is DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE. This would apply in the weight arena as well as others.. Stick with the program your surgical team has given you and be proud to have taken this smart step for yourself. This is a change for your whole life, not just this sliver in time, and you are already better off than you were. And you will be better yet in another month, and another month... Do not let yourself be defined by the scale number.
And, just as an aside, this is me practicing good self talk- talking to myself as well as to you. Look on this site for other people who have posted concerns similar to you and then go in and give them support, or think of what you would say to them to be kind, and get them through, and let them know they are loved by even a stranger, and then try to shine that compassion on yourself.

Hello Jodie!
I had my gastric sleeve on March 28, 5 days after you. I’ve lost 28 pounds but have been discouraged this last week (the 3rd week) because the weight was falling off up until the third week when I only lost 2 pounds! My bariatric team let me know that it’s very common to stall in the 3rd week for a week or so. Sooooo I’ve stopped weighing daily. I’ve started checking my measurements rather that being tied to the scale all the time. I’ve kept with the program as far as diet and exercise, water, etc. My team could not give me a real reason for the “3rd Week Stall” but I’ve read that it has to do with my body adjusting to the rapid weight loss. They encouraged me by assuring me the weight would start dropping more quickly again. I am curious as to where you are now with your weigh loss a week later? Have you started losing more again?
Keep pushing through and follow your bariatric team’s direction and you WILL lose weight. Be sure to keep a food journal too…and do not compare your progress to others…

Hello Jodie!
I had my gastric sleeve on March 28, 5 days after you. I’ve lost 28 pounds but have been discouraged this last week (the 3rd week) because the weight was falling off up until the third week when I only lost 2 pounds! My bariatric team let me know that it’s very common to stall in the 3rd week for a week or so. Sooooo I’ve stopped weighing daily. I’ve started checking my measurements rather that being tied to the scale all the time. I’ve kept with the program as far as diet and exercise, water, etc. My team could not give me a real reason for the “3rd Week Stall” but I’ve read that it has to do with my body adjusting to the rapid weight loss. They encouraged me by assuring me the weight would start dropping more quickly again. I am curious as to where you are now with your weigh loss a week later? Have you started losing more again?
Keep pushing through and follow your bariatric team’s direction and you WILL lose weight. Be sure to keep a food journal too…and do not compare your progress to others…

Weighing in every day can be hard because women especially can have so much variation in weight, and you wouldn't want to get yourself discouraged! So I am glad you stopped the daily weigh-in. Many of us do it weekly or bi-weekly. I remember there were some months that I lost more than others, so remember it won't always be a consistent thing but as long as the scale goes down you are going in the right direction! Good luck!

Weighing in every day can be hard because women especially can have so much variation in weight, and you wouldn't want to get yourself discouraged! So I am glad you stopped the daily weigh-in. Many of us do it weekly or bi-weekly. I remember there were some months that I lost more than others, so remember it won't always be a consistent thing but as long as the scale goes down you are going in the right direction! Good luck!
Thank you!

This is the "average". Some people will have faster weight loss, and some will be slower. But the average always seems to shock people, as it's usually not as much or as fast as you think. Most people lose the majority of their excess weight within the first year, although depending on what you need to lose, it can take 2. Divide how much weight you want to lose by 12 months. Does your current weight loss trajectory seem like you'll make your goal? Of course it does. Don't forget the tortoise and the hare .. slow and steady wins the race.

Back