• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Visits w/dietitian

LTMR

Hello, just had my 3d virtual visit this morning with my dietitian. Next is with a small group of 8 so we can talk about what to eat before and after surgery. I am making some beef bone broth and freezing it in ice cube trays, did some with chicken bones and that was tasty. Anyone else doing recipes or ideas for before and after surgery that they would like to share? This question has probably been asked to death; but, I am new to this. I don't have a surgery date yet. Having laparoscopic gastric bypass. Thanks for listening.

I like that your bariatric group does not only 3 visits with a dietitian but you meet with others as well. I only had one dietitian meeting but that was early in the pandemic and things were shut down so who knows if they would have done more.

Good luck on your journey!

Hello and welcome! I had 2 dietitian appointments for part of my pre-op process. They both seems somewhat pointless other than the first one, she gave me an allotted amount of calories to try to stick to up until surgery. Apparently at your first post-op check up you meet with the dietition on the team and he helps you get a plan in place and gives you suggestions based on your likes and dislikes. Along with some tips and tools on how to figure out what to eat as you start to eat solids again. My pre-surgical appointment is the 23rd and I feel like this is the slowest moving month of my life!

I think I had 10 dietitian visits over 8 months. My insurance changed requirements during the Covid craziness in March 2020, so instead of 6 they added 4. I found them very useful because I had monthly goals that I set for myself and used her as a soundboard for what I should accomplish the next month. I made bone broth before my surgery too. Very yummy!

I think I had 10 dietitian visits over 8 months. My insurance changed requirements during the Covid craziness in March 2020, so instead of 6 they added 4. I found them very useful because I had monthly goals that I set for myself and used her as a soundboard for what I should accomplish the next month. I made bone broth before my surgery too. Very yummy!
I had 2 plus 7 classes I had to take. which included quizzes. Plus, a test at the end that you had to pass to qualify for surgery. It is interesting to see how each insurance, surgeon and state differs so greatly within requirements.

I just had my first dietitian appointment today. She was so nice and sweet and funny and helpful. She spent 1 1/2 hours with me. She gave me a specific diet to follow: 1,300 calories, carbs 45%, protein 30%, fat 25%, water 64 oz minimum, start ALL vitamins and supplements and switch to decaf coffee. I’m using MyFitnessPal to track everything. She will review it on our next and final visit.

Back