• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins - what are alternatives to Bariatric Advantage long-term?

jptrahan

Hi all. I'm six weeks post sleeve surgery, and I'm feeling so, so much better about myself and life in general.
I'm about to start my calcium chews, and my doctor has recommended Bariatric Advantage products for that and my multivitamin as well.
For all of you wise souls out there who are a year or more post-op, are there brands that are just as good but cheaper? I'm sure you've answered this question elsewhere on this forum, but it's probably worth floating again.
Thanks in advance.

Contents are vastly more important than a brand name. The supplement industry is as hyped as the cosmetics circus. Read labels and if you trust the maker, cost becomes a lower decision factor.

Your post-op metabolic panels (done annually) will show if your needs are being met. That's really the most important thing. You can put a Coke label on a Pepsi, but it's what's really in the bottle that counts.

I like the prices at Trader Joe's, but they always change stuff without notice. I'm a label-reader, so if I recommend something, it's because of what the contents claim to contain.

When I first changed to the post-op eating plan, I was on the USDA and FDA sites every day, for hours. I kept a notebook with nutritional values, including calories, and US standards for minimum daily requirements.

I'd advise you to do research that's specific to your height, weight, family history, vulnerabilities, etc. and tailor your daily supplements using those facts.

FYI, all my surgeon told me was that I'd have to take two multivitamins every day for the rest of my life.

I based my plan on my own biology, and was in a research study for 7 years before and after RYGB.

Taking what another patient takes may not be what's best for you. But cost is also a big factor. It's hard to find an ethical manufacturer that also prices its products honestly.

On the other hand, I ate crap and avoided vitamins for the first 50 years of my life, and never had any nutrition-related disease. After Graves Disease required my thyroid gland to be irradiated, I had specific needs and less control.

So my critera are #1, content and #2, affordability. TJ's works for me.

I use these. Once a day, extra iron, and my levels have been great. My surgeon was not specific with the vitamin brand which I appreciated because I don’t like when they get kickbacks. Bariatric Choice ONCE DAILY Bariatric Multivitamin Capsule with 45 mg of Iron (90 Count), Bariatric Vitamin Supplement for Post Bariatric Surgery Gastric Bypass Patients https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HZ3YQ5...abc_72K3J6GYMJPDXVKNPDD8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using bariatric vitamins from Celebrate and yes they are pricey. I figured I would stick to this for the first year and then maybe switch to something less expensive afterwards. I am at the one year mark and I see my surgeon for follow-up on Friday so that may help me to decide whether to switch or stay with the same. I also had the sleeve and there is less tendency for malnutrition than with the bypass. I'll post an update after I find out if my lab work came out okay.

I use these. Once a day, extra iron, and my levels have been great. My surgeon was not specific with the vitamin brand which I appreciated because I don’t like when they get kickbacks. Bariatric Choice ONCE DAILY Bariatric Multivitamin Capsule with 45 mg of Iron (90 Count), Bariatric Vitamin Supplement for Post Bariatric Surgery Gastric Bypass Patients https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HZ3YQ5...abc_72K3J6GYMJPDXVKNPDD8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
What about for calcium?

I have been using bariatric vitamins from Celebrate and yes they are pricey. I figured I would stick to this for the first year and then maybe switch to something less expensive afterwards. I am at the one year mark and I see my surgeon for follow-up on Friday so that may help me to decide whether to switch or stay with the same. I also had the sleeve and there is less tendency for malnutrition than with the bypass. I'll post an update after I find out if my lab work came out okay.
Yes please ask and share at your follow up. For both multivitamin and calcium. Thank you.

Do you have to take an additional calcium supplement?

Hi all. I'm six weeks post sleeve surgery, and I'm feeling so, so much better about myself and life in general.
I'm about to start my calcium chews, and my doctor has recommended Bariatric Advantage products for that and my multivitamin as well.
For all of you wise souls out there who are a year or more post-op, are there brands that are just as good but cheaper? I'm sure you've answered this question elsewhere on this forum, but it's probably worth floating again.
Thanks in advance.

I uses off brands from target.the target version of the Flintstone multi and the off brand of chocolate chewable calcium. I can't swallow big pills hence the chews. I also take vit d, vit b, daily allergies med, spironolactone, and 40mg of omeprozal 2x daily. My allergies med is the most expensive. I think my vits are between 10-15 a month. When I can I get the vit d and b at sams club as its a bigger bottle and I hate constantly going to the store for them. My reg. Doc has told me to stop the vit b but I am not listening to her. With out the vits even prior to surgery I was pretty deficient in B and D. I also do not eat enough foods with calcium in it to support not taking a supplement amd probably should have been doing so years ago.

I use bariatricpal duodenal switch pack. Once a day first thing in the morning for the vitamin+iron pill/chew and the Calcium chews three times a day. Their strawberry isn't too sweet and taste like Now & Later. I loaded up with them I think Fathers Day with a 30% off coupon.

Back