• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vitamins

I started off trying to do / manage my vitamin kit on my own. My doc office suggested, Nascobal for the B-12 nasal spray, but I thought the copay was pricey considering B12 shots costs $5 per month. A couple months later of having to jab myself in the leg with a needle half as long as my pinky finger...I started reconsidering what I thought was expensive. Also, while I was probably saving a couple bucks per month buying my own vitamins, it was a hassle and I had a spreadsheet keeping track of dosages, quantity, price, etc.

I'm now doing the Nascobal B-12 nasal spray which includes complete bariatric vitamin kit included / free. After insurance, my copay is $23 monthly. This month they combined their iron into the multi which is nice, so there is now only 2 different pills to get all the stuff needed.

I use Trader Joe's vitamins but some of the necessities are not sold there, so I look for the best and cheapest ones at Rite Aid. By the way Rite Aid is struggling financially and may end up in bankruptcy soon. I have been shopping there for iron and calcium supplements and they practically give them away. Almost everything is buy one get one free or buy two get one free

Holy cow Diane I am beginning to wonder about my vitamins now compared to the image that you have posted. Pre surgery I went out and bought everything that the doctors office listed in the diet for post op. When I went to visit with the nutritionist for my first check up she had me bring all of my vitamins along with me to review. At the end of the appointment she said that I only needed to take 3 calcium Barimelts daily and 2 Barimelts multivitamin. I think that I may have to reach out to her again and see if should take the D3 and B12. When I went in for the appointment post op i had my lab work done so that they could see the lab results at that appointment.

Your vitamin and mineral counts will be measured in your next metabolic panel, which I assume your doctor does at least annually. But after you have bariatric surgery you will need to have your metabolic panel read more often until you know that you're eating right and taking enough vitamins.

Even regular people who never have surgery, whether or not they are obese or normal weight, simply cannot get enough vitamins and minerals from food. We need supplements. I may take more than you would need to.

A medical friend counseled me about probiotics years ago and it was amazing how much my health improved after I started taking them. I also take glucosamine chondroitin because I am old and I have joint troubles and have already had one knee and one shoulder replaced. I take a b complex sublingual and I take vitamin C and of course I have to have vitamin D and iron and calcium.

I space my meds apart so I take four doses in a day. But that's just me. My blood panels reflect that I am doing for what is right for me. and people need to be conscientious about minerals because if you don't give yourself at least 2 hours between calcium and iron, they will cancel each other out.

Next time you have a blood panel have a consultation with your doctor about your levels. I think that it's important to be counseled by a physician about this because the vitamin industry is so corrupt.

I had a hard time even trusting that I was getting genuine supplements until I got into this University study which just analyzed my blood down to the tiniest cell. I adjusted my supplements accordingly and I'm absolutely compliant when it comes to this.

I just don't think that I would be as healthy as I am if I did not conscientiously deal with the malabsorption of nutrients. Unless you live on a farm and raise your own intensely healthy organic vegetables and protein resources, you don't know what you're buying at the store. You don't know what's in those bottles. Could be snake oil. It wouldn't be the first time people were conned into paying for something completely worthless.

People can put anything in a bottle and if they don't make outrageous claims that it cures disease or makes you handsome, the FDA won't do a thing about it. So I scrutinize.

There's a reason the good vitamins are pricier... you went thru all of this to be good to your body, and then we put all sorts of garbage vitamins that are full of fillers, artificial colors, flavors, etc. Research the consistency and ingredients of the vitamins you take, the same way you would the food you put in.

My program suggests using Optisource Vitamins 4X's a day. They also recommend Fusion. However, I know a coworker, who had the bypass at the same place I did has started taking Flintstone Chewables and said her bloodwork has been fine the 2 times she has had it taken since she changed over. I don't know that I want to trust my new digestive tract to the Flintstones though, so I'm sticking with Optisource. (Which is BOGO 50%off right now on Amazon) Also, ask your doctor/surgeon/nutritionist for coupons when you go in and for suggestions on the cheapest place to get them.

I get my vitamins through LifeExtension.com and have been happy with them for years. These aren't "bariatric" vitamins, but they are decently priced and high quality and almost always have a higher concentration of vitamins and minerals than popular or generic store brands. I've been very happy with them.

I was really resistant to taking expensive vitamins after surgery. But I looked on the label and Flintstone vitamins were exactly the same RDAs as Centrum. It's really worth researching vitamins so that you don't end up paying more for vitamins than you do for food! It's a rogue industry that is totally out of control and full of phonies.

anyone have a suggestion on cheaper vitamins? I was referred to bariatric advantage but man they are so expensive:(
Bariatric Fusion, Bariatric Advantage with iron are pricy but you only need one a day, plus an extra vitamin D. Check the daily intake on the vitamins, they should have 100% value, if not you are not getting all you need.

I get my vitamins through LifeExtension.com and have been happy with them for years. These aren't "bariatric" vitamins, but they are decently priced and high quality and almost always have a higher concentration of vitamins and minerals than popular or generic store brands. I've been very happy with them.

Bariatric Fusion, Bariatric Advantage are manufactured by ProCare Health has all the high quality potency and supplements for Bariatric and Weight Loss Surgery Patients. its independently tested, third party certified. I do believe they are over-priced and retain their cost by not allowing them to be sold stores.

I typically get mine all at Walmart or target. I take the target off brand kids vitamins that is comparable to Flintstones. It not so strong in flavor or chalk like. Right now vitamins can be hard to find at either store so I bounce back and forth.

This is what vitamins should contain with at least 100%daily value. You do need an additional vitamin D. Iron is included in the pill only one a day is needed.

Attachments

• A7E04804-1E9D-46A7-B51D-CC89BD508F9A.png
    A7E04804-1E9D-46A7-B51D-CC89BD508F9A.png
    789.5 KB · Views: 61
I use Celebrate Vitamins - Celebrate - Bariatric Vitamins and Nutritional Supplements

I buy the Multi-Complete 45 with Iron capsules - no yucky grainy chew-able crap. I take 1 capsule 2x a day. I also use their chew-able calcium citrate. I get these in the chocolate variety - kind of like eating a caramel - but good for you. The B-12 I use comes from Walmart. I only take it twice a week. It's $90.00 for a 90 day supply. It's cheaper when you subscribe to get them shipped regularly. No re-order hassle - they just ship them before your last order runs out.

Attachments

• b12 (2).jpg
    b12 (2).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 39
I too use Celebrate Vitamins although I take the multi without the iron and take my iron at night before bed. Iron is absorbed better on an empty stomach but I can't handle multi vitamins on an empty stomach (make me nauseous) and having problems all my life with anemia, that is important that the iron is well absorbed. I like Celebrate's chewable iron. Kind of tastes like a starburst, so I think of it as a treat before bed. I too love the Calcium chews - all of the flavors but probably Chocolate is my favorite. I take their biotin which is a tiny capsule and easy to swallow. And their mint flavored B-12 for under the tongue. I think that's it, although I go for my lab results on Monday and I will see if I have an adjustments to make with my supplements.

People should have regular blood panels, to be sure the supplements are working.

You can't take iron and calcium at the same time. They cancel each other out.

And women need 1500mg of calcium daily, but the body can only absorb 500mg in a dose. You need to take 3 tabs a day, spread hours apart, in order to benefit.

Supplements are essential to life, but if not taken properly, can be harmful or ineffective.

I believe the USDA has some guidance to offer on this. And your body will give palpable feedback if you do it right.

Back