• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Vomiting

Deemoody

I’m new here. Had gastric sleeve surgery 7/17. Have had no complications since surgery, but, in recent weeks I’ve had to vomit after eating just a few bites at most meals. Food seems to get stuck in upper chest. It feels like a knot in my chest and very uncomfortable.

I had a hiatal hernia removed on surgery date as well.
Any idea as to why this is now happening, and so often?

Dee, I came to this forum in early March of this year because I am having a similar problem to what you're describing. Based on group feedback & internet research, it seems likely I have developed strictures, 12 years after surgery! Of course, I've been ignoring my nausea unless it escalated to vomiting for two years before seeking treatment. that was two additional years ago, so this has been going on--& GETTING WORSE--over four years, so I am now waiting on a referral. I finally got my network to make the referral so now I'm waiting for the bariatric nurse to phone me to set up an appointment. most of the time strictures can be untangled with a simple balloon procedure, but I'm sure I'm also looking at endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. So see your doctor!

Dee, I came to this forum in early March of this year because I am having a similar problem to what you're describing. Based on group feedback & internet research, it seems likely I have developed strictures, 12 years after surgery! Of course, I've been ignoring my nausea unless it escalated to vomiting for two years before seeking treatment. that was two additional years ago, so this has been going on--& GETTING WORSE--over four years, so I am now waiting on a referral. I finally got my network to make the referral so now I'm waiting for the bariatric nurse to phone me to set up an appointment. most of the time strictures can be untangled with a simple balloon procedure, but I'm sure I'm also looking at endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. So see your doctor!
Thank you so much! Will be calling my doc next week!

As a result of my vomiting issue I had a visit with the PA. She said the hiatal hernia, which was removed during sleeve surgery, may have grown back. I already had an endoscopy scheduled for Monday morning for another problem, so will see where this takes me.
Thanks all for sharing!
Dee, what's going on with you and that hiatal hernia or the endoscopy you were scheduled to have?

Did you have heartburn constant as well cause thats what I'm going Thur to. Feels like food don't make it Thur my chest so I regurgitate it back up but sometimes it makes it all the way down and then I will violently throw up.

Back