• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Waiting for a surgery date!

Sue S.

Hello to all! I'm glad to be here--there's so much information to be had. I'm just finishing a 12 week education program from Kaiser Perm...Monday will be my last class. After that, we're supposed to be contacted regarding surgery. Kaiser does either gastric sleeve or bypass. They discourage lapband, too many complications they said. I'm 56 years old.
When I saw my weight go over 300 pounds, I was horrified. And I was always in pain. My knees, my back, my feet. I was in pain with minimal walking..had to sit on a stool in the kitchen to cook or do dishes. Started feeling truly handicapped. Let's not even mention extentions on airplane seatbelts, not fitting in restaurant booths, looking around and realizing you're the fattest person in the room..being disgusted with myself. Hating to have pictures taken, etc etc etc.
I lost my sister last year. Obese, diabetes, heart problems--her heart took her. She was only 59. She was my best friend. I realized I didn't want to do that to myself. I want to live and enjoy life and feel healthy--be healthy. I have lots of support--a husband that loves me no matter what size I am. I know at least 4 people at work that have been successful with gastric bypass and lost all their weight. True inspirations. (one has maintained for 9 years, one for 6--those are excellent role models)
I also know one person that had the surgery and gained it all back. So I realize it is a lifestyle total change and I feel like I'm up to the challenge. I've lost 30 pounds so far (we were required to lose weight prior to surgery--I was already trying before I signed up for the class).
I'm excited and a little scared all at the same time.
Oh, I have to tell you this. Yesterday at work we were having a little Christmas party--and one of the secretaries who I don't see often touched my shoulder and said "You look absolutely incredible". The way she said it filled me with joy and made me smile the rest of the day. I've been trying hard and people are afraid to mention your weight so they don't say anything. I was starting to you think you couldn't tell. It felt good to have someone compliment me.
There's a park close to where I work--it has a sidewalk around the border (which I found out is 1/2 mile). So I've been walking there on weekdays during my lunch hour, about 20-25 minutes each day. I started it because I needed to (Kaiser said we had to be able to walk nonstop at least 15 minutes before surgery). I didn't expect I'd like it. I do. It's a pretty area--I listen to music. It's very therapeutic--I feel good--it destresses me.
The hardest time for me not to overeat (or snack snack snack) is the evenings. I found I do better when I'm using the computer than when I'm watching tv..so I've stopped watching so much TV and use the computer more. That's about it for now--I'll be doing a lot of reading here to get advice and tips. Take care and best of luck to all here that are trying hard to get themselves back. :)

Back