• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Waiting for the other shoe to drop?

Christy0829

Hi all, I’m 8 days post op and doing good. I had my post op yesterday and was released into the full liquid diet. The nurse was wonderful and went over things well. She said 2 tablespoon servings at a time, and to dilute my fairlife shakes. I’ve done this just fine and have been having zero nausea or vomiting. I’ve had no issue keeping water down and I don’t even have the dreaded over-full feeling after my protein shake or my little bit of soup. Aside from my right tummy still being a bit tender and general fatigue no and then (as to be expected with such caloric restriction) I’ve had zero problems. I generally tend to be a positive person, but I can’t help the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I keep thinking that there has to be some other part to “struggle” thru. My pre-operative process was long and in-depth, and I lost a good amount of weight prior (60 lbs), but I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Im not trying to be a braggart or ‘yay me’, I guess I just want to always know what to expect, and I wasn’t expecting to feel so good this quickly? If this indeed is a result of all the preparation work then good on my amazing team!! And yes, yay me. What were the toughest transitions in diet for others? And what were the hardest symptoms?
perhaps I’d just been so uncomfortable for so long that my perception is changed? Sorry, I know this is long. I’d love any feedback. thank you all so much. This community has really been so wonderful.

Actually, I felt pretty good after surgery. I came home a day early with no pain meds (except otc Tylenol, if needed.) I had very few issues getting my water/protein in after the first few days. Never had anything make me sick (except hot fudge) and still (3yrs out) have never had dumping syndrome. I'd like to tell you its because I follow the plan, but .. see above (hot fudge lol)

Sometimes its just the luck of then draw. And sometimes its because you listen to your body and stop before its too late. Either way, as long as you're following the plan to ahead and pat yourself on the back!! Congrats!

Actually, I felt pretty good after surgery. I came home a day early with no pain meds (except otc Tylenol, if needed.) I had very few issues getting my water/protein in after the first few days. Never had anything make me sick (except hot fudge) and still (3yrs out) have never had dumping syndrome. I'd like to tell you its because I follow the plan, but .. see above (hot fudge lol)

Sometimes its just the luck of then draw. And sometimes its because you listen to your body and stop before its too late. Either way, as long as you're following the plan to ahead and pat yourself on the back!! Congrats!
Thank you so much for your input! And congrats on 3 years! I certainly don’t plan to never have another piece of cake again, I just want to be sure I’m honoring my body and using this tool I’ve been able to acquire. Again, thank you so much.

Just reading that you never plan on having cake again made me sad lol So, I am going to give you some unsolicited advice. Do with it what you will.

Try not to look at this as a diet. Denying yourself certain foods is a bit of a diet mentality and actually causes you to feel deprived. I occasionally eat desert. I take a bite or two of whatever it is that had me going "oooh, gimme!" So I don't think have to think about it later and wish I could have. Also, when something tastes extra good and I wish I could eat more, I remind myself I CAN. Just not right now. Both have helped me tremendously.

These things are way down the line for you, I know. But I remember being so sad that I would never eat certain things again only to find out, I can. But "they" were right all along. Moderation is key.

Just reading that you never plan on having cake again made me sad lol So, I am going to give you some unsolicited advice. Do with it what you will.

Try not to look at this as a diet. Denying yourself certain foods is a bit of a diet mentality and actually causes you to feel deprived. I occasionally eat desert. I take a bite or two of whatever it is that had me going "oooh, gimme!" So I don't think have to think about it later and wish I could have. Also, when something tastes extra good and I wish I could eat more, I remind myself I CAN. Just not right now. Both have helped me tremendously.

These things are way down the line for you, I know. But I remember being so sad that I would never eat certain things again only to find out, I can. But "they" were right all along. Moderation is key.
Oh Missy! Thank you!! I must’ve written that wrong! I most certainly WILL have cake again! I don’t plan to live on protein shakes and jello for the rest of my life. I was encouraged when you said you weren’t perfect! I agree with you, the word diet is a four-letter word. It suggests a temporary fix to a lifelong issue. I’m changing how I use food and how it feeds me. Thru this process I’m learning I don’t have to be a member of the clean plate club and I don’t have to do the never or always game either. I appreciate your support so much! Thank you thank you.

Back