• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Waiting Game - Any Suggestions??

This is my first post so I bear with me.

I am posting because I am looking for suggestions with how to deal with the waiting game. I have done everything and I have my insurance approval (got that in February) but we have restrictions on elective surgeries so now it is really a waiting game for me. I started the process June of 2021 and had everything done by the end of December so was excited to see the approval in February but now I am just waiting with no idea when the surgery might get scheduled. I do not want to get discouraged so looking to any ideas for those that may have gone through having to wait because of Covid.

I was put on hold in 2020 due to restrictions on elective surgeries/covid. The wait for me was 3 months. It was frustrating and I had a really hard time staying positive. The only thing I can suggest is stay your course, stick to your new eating habits. You do not want to gain any weight, as your insurance can deny you if you do.

You will get your turn. Just hang in there.

I was put on hold in 2020 due to restrictions on elective surgeries/covid. The wait for me was 3 months. It was frustrating and I had a really hard time staying positive. The only thing I can suggest is stay your course, stick to your new eating habits. You do not want to gain any weight, as your insurance can deny you if you do.

You will get your turn. Just hang in there.

Thank you!!! I When I started the process and was told not to gain more than 10 pounds I decided to start losing then so that I did not have to be anxious about gaining so I am down 30 pounds from when I started so I have told myself to keep that going in the right direction and keep my mind focus on the end result.

Just making sure I look at as many avenues as possible to keep me on the right track while I wait.

Congrats on your 30lb loss and good for you!! Just keep in mind your wait is temporary and when you get down remind yourself of WHY you're having the surgery to begin with.
Thank you. That is definitely what I am doing to keep myself motivated that and trying to find a new park to walk in every weekend LOL. But thank you again and I appreciate this forum because I it helps to have someone be able to understand what I am feeling.

This is my first post so I bear with me.

I am posting because I am looking for suggestions with how to deal with the waiting game. I have done everything and I have my insurance approval (got that in February) but we have restrictions on elective surgeries so now it is really a waiting game for me. I started the process June of 2021 and had everything done by the end of December so was excited to see the approval in February but now I am just waiting with no idea when the surgery might get scheduled. I do not want to get discouraged so looking to any ideas for those that may have gone through having to wait because of Covid.
I get it. 1000% I get it. I started the same time as you but didn't finish everything until February 15th. Then it took through April to get my surgery dates...which isn't until June 1st! I will say that waiting to get your surgery date does feel like you're holding your breath because your just worried about even being approved in the first place! And now since I've been waiting for 2 months for the actual surgery I've made calendars and charts and reward incentive lists and all this other stuff. I've also been doing a bunch of research from a Dr. Vuong on YouTube, bought a food addiction workbook, a gastric sleeve recipe book and allll the other things I'll need for surgery. There's so much you can at least research when your bored but man the time still does pass slowly!
Good luck!

I get it. 1000% I get it. I started the same time as you but didn't finish everything until February 15th. Then it took through April to get my surgery dates...which isn't until June 1st! I will say that waiting to get your surgery date does feel like you're holding your breath because your just worried about even being approved in the first place! And now since I've been waiting for 2 months for the actual surgery I've made calendars and charts and reward incentive lists and all this other stuff. I've also been doing a bunch of research from a Dr. Vuong on YouTube, bought a food addiction workbook, a gastric sleeve recipe book and allll the other things I'll need for surgery. There's so much you can at least research when your bored but man the time still does pass slowly!
Good luck!
Thank you for sharing and good luck. Those are we good suggestions.

Think of things to keep you busy. Sort through your closet, filter out stuff you don’t wear. Put aside the smaller clothes for when you can wiggle into them. Reorganize your kitchen, make a space for containers to store extra servings.
Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely can go through my closet because my goodness the clothes taking up space simply because I do not wear them. Ha ha! I did a reorg once and kept smaller clothes because I said I AM going to wear them again one day but I do have quite a few items I no longer wear so good call.

I need to go through my closet and sort sizes. May need to buy new swimsuit, I can swim all year long at pool at gym. Have a 3x which is a little big already. Maybe order a 1x?
it is so tricky. I will need a bathing suit also but probably not till mid-late summer because I have one a size smaller that still fits ok for now. But how do we ever guess where we will be in 2 months? By the time I am ready to buy one, I probably won't be able to find any because it will be so late in the season! I know if I order it now and guess I will screw myself and it won't fit right when I need it.

Back