• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Waiting on my surgery date

I want to schedule my surgery asap. However, my family thinks I need to wait until I visit NC for Thanksgiving. I started the process June 16th and completed it with insurance approval Friday. I excited but cautious due to driving to NC and all that food for the holiday. What are your thoughts?

I agree with your family. That's only four weeks and you're not going to do yourself any favors by taking a long drive (I assume it's long--you don't say). You could decide on a Christmas visit instead of Thanksgiving. It's a tradeoff between gorging yourself at a feast or stuffing dozens of cookies and candies down your craw.

But neither of these things need to happen. I begged off family holiday meals for the first year, but went on the second. I was sitting at a table with my cousins and a new in-law who had had the surgery before me. She'd told everyone, but I told no one. She was barraged with questions and interfered with in general. In the meantime, I'd take a tablespoon of yams and smear them around until they covered 1/4 of the plate. Did the same with small portions of cranberries, turkey, gravy and mashed. It was literally less than a cup of food but afterward, I pretended to be stuffed and turned down the pies.

I saved myself a lot of explaining and listening to dozens of uninformed opinions.

Anytime a feast occurs post-op, you have an opportunity to re-create into a healthy meal, just with different foods.

I think its entirely up to you and your needs. I am curious why your family thinks you should wait. If its so you can eat at Thanksgiving, remind them you'll have many more opportunities to eat Thanksgiving dinner.

My cousin had her WLS the week before Xmas and still came .. while on a clear liquid diet lol I bought her clear protein and made peppermint tea.

For me it would depend on the drive and how far out from surgery you will be. A long drive soon after surgery isn’t a great idea due to risk of blood clots. You also get very fatigued and it can be overwhelming getting your fluids/protein in those first few weeks. Your body needs some healing time!

Back