• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Waiting to get my date….

Welcome, Shaunda. The first thing I want to tell you is that I went through a full open procedure 16 years ago because laparoscopy was not yet fitted for the procedure. So I had major surgery and wouldn't resemble what you'll go through in any manner. It was very difficult, like any recovery from major surgery.

Do a search through the group looking for "laparoscopic procedure" and then sort those by dates to get the most recent stories.
My opinion is that the procedure these days is on the same level as a visit to the dentist. The hard part, just like the dentist, is the discomfort before and the eating adjustment after the surgery. Most people can (and are encouraged to) get up and walk a little the first day, as many short jaunts as possible, and to increase movement every day.

The nutritionist will put you on a liquid diet. Read it and stock up. Do everything in advance so you can sit around and heal without needing to drive or go to the store. We do, however, have a lot of cowboys and girls who can go right back to doing what they need to do the same day.

It's an invasive procedure for sure, but not as complicated as an open surgery requiring many stitches. I hope others will speak up and tell you how easy it was for them. There are also veterans here who've had surgery more than 20 or 30 years ago who lurk here. They may speak up to tell you how vastly improved the procedure and recovery are.

Hey, Shaunda! Welcome to the group. Everyone is different but for the majority, healing is relatively quick. I was home on day 3 post op, with no pain killers needed. My surgeon likes to keep ppl 4 days, so I was early. My husband was also out by day 3 but needed pain meds and anti nausea pills for about 2 weeks.

I am 3 years out this week. Down about 100lbs and am keeping it off. Hubby is 1 1/2 yrs post op. Down about 120 and still losing, although very slowly now.

We are very active now and feel freaking amazing. We still enjoy food but in smaller amounts.

Don't get scared. This is the best decision you can make for yourself. Remember, its a tool. As long as you use it properly, it works. Good luck!

Back