• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Walking

Renee7878

I am almost a week post op and I have been making an effort to walk 10,000 steps per day. I was walking in the recovery room and as much as I could in the days before I was released from the hospital. I’ve been trying to also rest a lot since I am still recovering, but was wondering how mobile people are post surgery? I don’t want to overdo it but I also don’t want to not be moving enough.

I am almost a week post op and I have been making an effort to walk 10,000 steps per day. I was walking in the recovery room and as much as I could in the days before I was released from the hospital. I’ve been trying to also rest a lot since I am still recovering, but was wondering how mobile people are post surgery? I don’t want to overdo it but I also don’t want to not be moving enough.
I think shooting for your 10,000 steps is a great goal at this point Renee. It's early for much else but walking is wonderful for now. :)

I am getting in about 13-14k steps a day. I am to the point that instead of walking for 20 min every couple of hours, I am trying to get myself on a schedule that I can be on when back at work. I am walking 3 miles first thing in the morning, then for 30 min at lunch and 30 min "after work". So I am still getting my total time, but it is now divided up into a realistic way because I know my boss would not be okay if I disappear every couple of hours for 20 min, lol. But I know everyone is different and as long as you are doing what you can without causing pain or fainting due to lack of energy, you should be good!

Back