• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Want to become Vegan

First, get a CBC, a comprehensive blood panel that breaks down your levels of nutrients. Once you know that, you can withdraw all protein from animal sources, which I assume is what you want to do. Continue to monitor your levels so you know if you're deficient. Go to the FDA.gov site to find alternate protein resources. Combining a pure brown rice with a good soy bean product can create a perfect protein, with all the essential amino acids. But if you want to go vegan or vegetarian, you should be connected to a community of people who practice that, for info and support.

Messing with protein levels is not to be taken lightly. I was a vegetarian for four years, but I tracked my nutrition carefully. There's no reason to avoid protein from compassionate sources that don't harm animals. But I was raised on a farm, and our chickens were happy to give us eggs, and our cow happy to give us milk.

Creating a perfect protein is the goal you should have if you want to avoid eating animals, but do you want to deny yourself dairy products created by animals in abundance for mutual benefit? In exchange for eggs, we gave our chickens grain and nutrients. They wanted for nothing, and helped feed my family of 10 in exchange. Symbiosis, baby!

As an adult vegetarian, I made soyburgers using mashed soybeans, grated carrots, onions, peanut butter and oats. Very tasty and higher in nutrition than the hamburger patties my mom made.

Good luck with your vegan aspiration.

Explore recipe websites for Vegan bodybuilders who eat high protein while building muscle.

Look for vegan, plant-based protein drinks.

Create meals with several plant protein sources, beans (lots and lots of beans), lentils, tofu and other soy products, chia seeds, nutritional yeast, other nuts and seeds, hemp hearts, seitan, tempeh, mycoprotein, etc.

Back