• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Was so excited, facility staff ruined it

Avalee311

Good Morning. I am so encouraged by everyone here that I started the process for myself. It means a lot to see so many successful people.
I'm not happy about sharing a negative experience right off the bat, but you all have experience with this stuff.
I contacted a facility in Orlando where my husband recently had a major procedure done (not bariatric), and his outcome was great. It's over an hour away, but my Husband did well, so I picked them.
If it weren't for STAFF incompetence, I would be on the telehealth meeting with the Dr. in an hour. Instead, I told them to forget it.

Besides all the little things, wrong email, wrong, old phone number on their letterhead etc, there were 2 major things that got to me.
The Fax.....2 days before the video call, I emailed them that I faxed my forms over to them. They waited until late in the day yesterday, to email, not call me, to say they didn't have it, and they needed it before the video call. I panicked because I didn't see the email until it was after hours for them. I called and left a message with the fax confirmation, date and time, and it had to be there, what else could I do?
The Video Call.....A few days before the video call, a girl, I didn't write down her name wish I did, called to make the video call appointment with me, and walked me through getting the Microsoft Team app for the video call. It wasn't easy with all the signing up and passwords and junk, but she helped me through.
This morning, with the video call an hr and a half away, the Pt Advocate called me to say they "found" my faxed papers, they were put in the wrong box. (I don't know about any of you, but when I was working in an office and was expecting something by mail or fax......I would GO look for it, before I said I didn't have it). She also said she couldn't get to my Pt. portal because it was being used by a different named patient???? I don't have a patient portal...??
She said I could do the ZOOM call. I said I'm already signed in and ready on MICROSOFT TEAM!!!! She said, no it's on ZOOM. She didn't know who told me MTeam and that they don't use MTeam, but she would walk me through getting on Zoom. With the meeting 6mins away, I said forget it. I told her I no longer had the confidence with them I had starting out and that I would look for another facility.
After stressing over emails, passwords, signing up for video phone calls AND spending $22 to fax them the forms they needed, they had sent me down a dirt road. ( I have learning disabilities from getting 4 concussions over a 3 year period, so using computers and technology in general, is a major problem and major stress for me. I can do basics but it usually takes me twice the amount of time. I told the girl it takes me a little extra to process tech stuff.)
So, now I'm back to square one. Kinda mentally exhausted from the go around with these people. Now I need to research another place.
If you made it this far through all the negative vibe, Thank You so much for letting me vent to you.

Wow. They seem very incompetent and you should look for another program. The idea that they'd tell you they lost/misplaced your paperwork and suggested you had a portal but under a different name is ridiculous. Yes, people are human and make mistakes. But you're still in first impression stage, so why do they go out of their way to seem unorganized?
Anyway, look for another program. You deserve competent medical professionals. You also deserve the chance to change your life so don't give up due to one bad program. There are great, highly experienced programs out there. Maybe every single thing won't be perfect but it'll certainly be better than that. And congrats on starting the journey .. even if your idling right this second, you'll be speeding along in no time.

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Definitely find another place that makes you feel comfortable & reassured of their competence right off the bat.

I just finished my 1 month follow up appt, and I am even more thankful for their professionalism & organization after reading about your situation.

Please don't let this discourage you from seeking the help you deserve. Good luck & please continue to reach out to this group!

Welcome to the group! So sorry about your bad experience. I agree with the others, find someone else. You can forgive a mistake but when there's a whole slew of them before you even get this off the ground, then that tells you something. I hope you can find another bariatric team that makes you feel confident in your choice. Good luck!

Oh my Gosh! This sounds like my journey times 2! I had the same issues with the first groups so I moved on to another office. And it started out bumpy but I stuck with it and all the bad things keep shinning thru. I’m not feeling comfortable with this group and off to look for another. What is everyone’s suggestions on searching? Good Luck to you!

Good Morning. I am so encouraged by everyone here that I started the process for myself. It means a lot to see so many successful people.
I'm not happy about sharing a negative experience right off the bat, but you all have experience with this stuff.
I contacted a facility in Orlando where my husband recently had a major procedure done (not bariatric), and his outcome was great. It's over an hour away, but my Husband did well, so I picked them.
If it weren't for STAFF incompetence, I would be on the telehealth meeting with the Dr. in an hour. Instead, I told them to forget it.

Besides all the little things, wrong email, wrong, old phone number on their letterhead etc, there were 2 major things that got to me.
The Fax.....2 days before the video call, I emailed them that I faxed my forms over to them. They waited until late in the day yesterday, to email, not call me, to say they didn't have it, and they needed it before the video call. I panicked because I didn't see the email until it was after hours for them. I called and left a message with the fax confirmation, date and time, and it had to be there, what else could I do?
The Video Call.....A few days before the video call, a girl, I didn't write down her name wish I did, called to make the video call appointment with me, and walked me through getting the Microsoft Team app for the video call. It wasn't easy with all the signing up and passwords and junk, but she helped me through.
This morning, with the video call an hr and a half away, the Pt Advocate called me to say they "found" my faxed papers, they were put in the wrong box. (I don't know about any of you, but when I was working in an office and was expecting something by mail or fax......I would GO look for it, before I said I didn't have it). She also said she couldn't get to my Pt. portal because it was being used by a different named patient???? I don't have a patient portal...??
She said I could do the ZOOM call. I said I'm already signed in and ready on MICROSOFT TEAM!!!! She said, no it's on ZOOM. She didn't know who told me MTeam and that they don't use MTeam, but she would walk me through getting on Zoom. With the meeting 6mins away, I said forget it. I told her I no longer had the confidence with them I had starting out and that I would look for another facility.
After stressing over emails, passwords, signing up for video phone calls AND spending $22 to fax them the forms they needed, they had sent me down a dirt road. ( I have learning disabilities from getting 4 concussions over a 3 year period, so using computers and technology in general, is a major problem and major stress for me. I can do basics but it usually takes me twice the amount of time. I told the girl it takes me a little extra to process tech stuff.)
So, now I'm back to square one. Kinda mentally exhausted from the go around with these people. Now I need to research another place.
If you made it this far through all the negative vibe, Thank You so much for letting me vent to you.
Oh my. I would look for another place where you feel confident that they would be on top of things.

Back