• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Water! grrrrrr.

I am 2.5 months out and I am struggling to get 64oz of water in. The most I have drank in a day so far is 48oz. I am carrying my water bottle everywhere and taking sips continually but between eating and having to wait 30 minutes and just life in general, I just cannot do it. Any suggestions.

You're doing great! Most people don't even get 8 ounces of drinking water in a day because they'd rather have soda or coffee or <insert favorite beverage here>. I've heard other people say they wait 20 minutes, not 30, but do what works for you. If you drink other stuff over ice, that ice can count toward your water, so long as you crunch it up and swallow. But just do your best, which is what you're doing.

One thing I did that really helped me was I measured my water out in the morning & stuck it in the fridge. Then I knew I had the amount I needed. But I'm one of those people who drinks water constantly because I love it, but not out of the tap. I buy and drink ONLY bottled water in the big 2.5 gallon containers with a spigot on the end, so I can easily get to it, and no chlorine taste.

Another thing I did was I carried a glass of water with me to the couch or anywhere I was sitting down, and then I drank it with a spoon. I fantasized that it was food, and "ate" it like that. It was very pleasant. I know nowadays people are advised against using straws, but there are these water glasses with lids and a built in straw that we give toddlers so they don't spill it, and that might be something your nutritionist or doctor would approve for you, especially if you are having trouble drinking. Sippy cups do the same thing, and allow you to measure your water easily. I've also used a bota bag, and other types of water bags, including canteens. I got into this when I started hiking. Online where camping supplies are sold you can also get 1 or 2 liter plastic canteens that you can sling over your shoulders, and they have tubes that come from the bag and have a "bite valve" where you can keep the tube in your mouth, then bite down to release the water whenever you want a drink.

Water is essential in the weight loss/calorie burning cycle. I think when doctors say "glasses" of water, they make it sound really hard. Who drinks glasses of water, anyway?

Once in a while during the day, lightly pinch your forearm and watch what happens. If the pinch stays up, you're not drinking enough water. If it goes back down into the skin in a few seconds, you're not dehydrated, so you're cool.

And this is just me saying this, but if you made a pitcher of iced herbal tea and took a slug every fifteen minutes or so, you'd probably get all the water you need and it wouldn't be so difficult. It's still water, after all. Just stay away from snack beverages and fruit juices. There's a lot of really delicious herbal tea around and you may not even need to add sweetener.

Just remember that water accelerates weight loss, so you're going to want to find a way to get it into your daily routine.

I am 2.5 months out and I am struggling to get 64oz of water in. The most I have drank in a day so far is 48oz. I am carrying my water bottle everywhere and taking sips continually but between eating and having to wait 30 minutes and just life in general, I just cannot do it. Any suggestions.
Protein shakes, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles count as liquids too.

Protein shakes, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles count as liquids too.

Actually, that's not true. Please go online and read about WHY drinking water as part of your post-op routine is so important. They don't tell you that because it's some kind of arbitrary myth. Water is SUPER-IMPORTANT, even if you're not drinking it as part of your post-op diet. And think about it. Nobody drinks water as a snack or part of a regular meal. We need water for the benefit of all our organs.

If your bariatric team allows you to count those as water, they count. We are not medical professionals. My team allowed me to count everything through the liquid/puree/soft food phases. Once I was on a regular diet, only water counted as water. But again .. Follow the advice of your medical team!

If your bariatric team allows you to count those as water, they count. We are not medical professionals. My team allowed me to count everything through the liquid/puree/soft food phases. Once I was on a regular diet, only water counted as water. But again .. Follow the advice of your medical team!
I posted information directly from the Federal government on this topic weeks ago. Water is essential for a bunch of reasons. Do a search.

Your bariatric surgeon, nutritionist or team may not be up to date on many topics. I always double check with the Feds.

I had to stay in the hospital for 4 days because I couldn't keep anything down. My system just didn't want to wake up right away so I needed constant IV fluids. When I got home I couldn't drink fast enough. It was like I'd been in the desert. I drank and drank and drank. Finally that subsided and now I find if I'm distracted I won't get enough fluid in. Someone said put an alarm on your phone to remind you to drink every so often.

I am not suggesting water is not important. That being said, 64 oz is at best a guesstimate, since individual needs vary. Also, most foods have a water content that is considered to be a part of your daily intake.

As for the US government information, you literally just posted about the WHO and the US being at odds regarding sweeteners. Not to mention all the bad nutritional information we received over the years. (Are eggs good for you this week?!? LOL) We like to pretend the US has the highest standards but many European nations don't even allow diet soft drinks since they're linked to cancer. So ..who's to say who you can really trust?!?

Also, we love to say we cannot give medical advice .. So, I'm leaving it to the professionals!! Listen to YOUR surgeon!!. I promise he is more informed than your local bariatric patient. Everyone gets their info from somewhere .. I'll take mine from a team of medical professionals, rather than an internet search. Just my opinion.

Back