• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Water in the AM

I start drinking in the middle of the night when I get up to go to bathroom. I don't eat breakfast until I have at least 16 oz in. I don't eat lunch until I have 36 oz in, and don't have dinner until I have 56 oz in. But I'm starting the day out with really low blood pressure, so I have to start hydrating immediately.

It seems like you're getting your water, so as long as your staying hydrated, drink when you can. I can only drink water on an empty stomach, so I can't relate to that. But maybe you should just have a bit of breakfast before trying to start your morning water? Almost everything gets better the further out you get, so hopefully the nausea will go away with time.

It looks like you are doing good with water overall, but maybe you want to spread it out a bit more. I've never been a big water drinking in the morning, but I will drink a few ozs as part of my morning bathroom routine. Now that I'm a year+ out I mix up my liquids, but I always try to start with that water. Try to combine it with something you do every day. Put a sign up in your bathroom and do it over and over until it's habit.

I'm pretty lucky bc I've been drinking multiple bottles of water every day for years, so my body craves water all day & night. I wake up thirsty, and I have water next to me to sip on all night if I need it.

Having said that, I wonder if it wpuld help your stomach in the morning to have some grated ginger root & maybe a few drops of lemon juice in a water bottle or small pitcher that you've prepared the night before. Also you might be able to "stomach" some drops of water flavor enhancer.

Good luck with this, and hopefully your system will begin to accept your new water regimen gradually.

We have some of the best water in the country out of our tap at the house. I always thought drinking lots of water would be easy. Many medial experts recommend 1/2 your weight in ounces per day minimum. Before surgery I drank 5 to 6 quarts most days depending on activity level this was my average. Now 80 oz max at 4 + weeks out of GB surgery.

My stomach is unsettled in the AM even after breakfast it takes a while before water goes down well. I follow the 30/30/30 rule and it works out okay but hard to get my water in. Maybe I will try some ginger in the morning. I don’t have acid reflux but my stomach is more sensitive than it used to be. Couldn’t be all the years of to much coffee and crap maybe. Have not had any caffeine for almost 6 weeks.

Back