• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight gain 6 years out

Hello all. I'm new here and have been wanting to join a support group for quite some time. I'm really hoping I can get some help. I had the Roux n y about 6 1/2 years ago. At my heaviest I was 284, and at my lowest weight I was 135. The last time I was at 135 was back in mid 2017, but to be honest I was so afraid to gain my weight back to that for those first 6 years I wouldn't eat much. It was to the point that my previous doctor felt I may have an eating disorder. Anyhow, I do also have hypothyroidism & hashimoto's disease. My pcp changed practices and the office just refilled my synthroid rather than telling me. So I eventually found out I was on the incorrect dose of synthroid after almost a year, which unfortunately did cause some(of the) weight gain. Before my surgery, I used to love meat. I wanted it for every meal. And now, I don't like it. I know that after bariatric surgery many people feel as though they cannot digest it, or that it feels stuck in their throat. However, that isn't the case for me. I just no longer like the taste. For the first 5 years I couldn't eat it period, but now I sometimes if it's drowned in salsa etc., perhaps 1-2x a week. I think I remember my surgeon and or the nutritionist saying that we will gain our weight back if we do not eat protein. Did anyone else hear this, or have you had the same experience? I am so desperate. I cannot go back to where I was, and what's even harder is exercise isn't even an option as I'm bed bound due to medical ailments. My daily protein is probably around 10. Sometimes I can get it to 15-20.
My weight was as follows
1/20 188lb
4/19 164lb
2/18 143lb
7/17 135lb
Any and all help is so very much appreciated!

Hello all. I'm new here and have been wanting to join a support group for quite some time. I'm really hoping I can get some help. I had the Roux n y about 6 1/2 years ago. At my heaviest I was 284, and at my lowest weight I was 135. The last time I was at 135 was back in mid 2017, but to be honest I was so afraid to gain my weight back to that for those first 6 years I wouldn't eat much. It was to the point that my previous doctor felt I may have an eating disorder. Anyhow, I do also have hypothyroidism & hashimoto's disease. My pcp changed practices and the office just refilled my synthroid rather than telling me. So I eventually found out I was on the incorrect dose of synthroid after almost a year, which unfortunately did cause some(of the) weight gain. Before my surgery, I used to love meat. I wanted it for every meal. And now, I don't like it. I know that after bariatric surgery many people feel as though they cannot digest it, or that it feels stuck in their throat. However, that isn't the case for me. I just no longer like the taste. For the first 5 years I couldn't eat it period, but now I sometimes if it's drowned in salsa etc., perhaps 1-2x a week. I think I remember my surgeon and or the nutritionist saying that we will gain our weight back if we do not eat protein. Did anyone else hear this, or have you had the same experience? I am so desperate. I cannot go back to where I was, and what's even harder is exercise isn't even an option as I'm bed bound due to medical ailments. My daily protein is probably around 10. Sometimes I can get it to 15-20.
My weight was as follows
1/20 188lb
4/19 164lb
2/18 143lb
7/17 135lb
Welcome to the group! Wow, it sounds like you have been through a lot. It is great that you are reaching out for help to get back on track. Do you still keep track of what you are eating to see how many grams of protein you are getting as well as how many calories you are consuming? It is very important to get your protein up and there are several ways to do it without eating meat. Have you tried protein shakes or protein powders at all? I know some people cannot stomach the shakes, but unflavored protein powder is another great thing. I actually add it to a couple meals a week. I will add it to pudding (30 g of protein) plus the two cups of milk get one box of pudding to 46 g of protein. I usually divide it into five servings so that is about 9 g per serving. You can also add it into sauces (I mix it in with my homemade pizza sauce and add chicken into the crust for another boost of protein), soups, and really about anything that you can stir. You can also make magic milk (use the search feature and you will find the recipe in previous posts). And of course, pack your meals with protein rich foods like eggs, almonds, oats, cottage cheese, yogurt, broccoli, etc. Make the meal around those type of foods so that you are getting in the max amount of protein that you can. I wish you the best of luck as you retake control. Please keep us posted on how your journey continues and the progress you make!

It's rare to find someone with Hashimoto's unless you're looking, and I just noticed you and another member, WWWindy, both have it! I mentioned that I had Graves' Disease in a few other posts. I'm so sorry you were incorrectly dosed. I never realized how serious thyroid disease was because when I was growing up around fat people, they always claimed they had thyroid problems, which they didn't. And you haven't lived until you've had a thyroid storm!

The interactions of thyroid replacement hormone with other meds and supplements you routinely take has to be documented and monitored carefully. Miss D gave you some really good information and I'm backing her up here. If you honestly think you're only getting 10 grams of protein in a day, you need to find a solution, and fast. If you don't have enough protein, malabsorption will turn into malnutrition and you may not be able to reverse it in time. That's why this procedure involves a dietitian or nutritionist, and why there are SO MANY recipe books available.

But before you try to do something as involved as specialized cooking, get that protein in. Eat tablespoons of peanut butter. Choke down eggs, any way you can consume them, and lots of cheese, including cottage cheese, and yogurt with high protein content. I personally don't think you need to worry about calories right now because you may be starving yourself to death without protein.

A lot of us feel really messed up after surgery because we don't know what to eat, or we think we can't drink enough water. I think most of that comes from post-op depression and your old buddy, Eating Disorder. If you're in the fix you're describing, you need to give up your will to a written menu and journal, and force yourself to eat and drink according to schedule. The more problems you have, the MORE problems you'll have!

Can you ask your doctor for a metabolic blood panel? I think you really need it, and right away. You are probably dealing with deficiencies you don't even know about. Fortunately, these are easily seen in bloodwork and a lot of physical problems can be managed with diet. And you will be able to stand the food you eat, though meat may never love you again. There is protein in everything, including vegetables, so please don't let this go on any longer.

See your doc, get that CBC, look online for high-protein diets that are tailored for post-op bariatric clients. You probably have to take small steps, but the important thing is that those steps have to go in the opposite direction now.

Please hang out & let us know how you're doing. This could be the greatest time of your life, but you need to get over the hurdles first.

Thank you both so much! Yes, my doctor runs my panels. I am severely anemic, vitamin D deficient, and have a vitamin B deficiency as well.

There is something I hadn't mentioned. I thought about it, but never entertained the thought too much until my mom brought it up this weekend. Perhaps it's stress related? The reason I hadn't entertained that thought is because I don't stress eat, nor do I eat out of boredom (or any other emotion). However, the stress did start about a year and a half ago. My son was diagnosed with a rare disease monoclonal immunoglobulin disposition disease. To give you an idea of the stress, he's the youngest person to be diagnosed with the disease (@21), has already had a kidney biopsy, lymph node removed, 2 bone marrow biopsy's, and his kidneys have declined to half the function they were last year. Which was not too good then either. I think 1 of the worst parts is them not knowing how to treat it. It's worse than guess work, and I even have his dr working with the mayo clinic because they're the ones that have done studies on it. Luckily he agreed. What really angered me about them though, they wanted to charge us up to $3000. To look at our sons biopsy (kidney) slides.
Anyhow, I remember my doctor saying only eat when hungry. Well with everything going on I haven't been wanting to eat. So shouldn't I have lost weight?

Thank you both so much! Yes, my doctor runs my panels. I am severely anemic, vitamin D deficient, and have a vitamin B deficiency as well.

Well with everything going on I haven't been wanting to eat. So shouldn't I have lost weight?
Wow, you have a lot going on right now! I'm sorry to hear about your son. You definitely have a lot on your plate. But the most important thing to remember is, how can you be there for him if you aren't taking care of yourself? It would seem logical that if you aren't eating, you should lose weight. Unfortunately the body goes into starvation mode. It hangs on tight to everything you have so it will be able to survive during those times you aren't eating. You need to increase your calories and protein to let your body relax and start working properly again. So don't skip your meals! I know you are focusing on your son, but if you aren't taking care of yourself, you could end up hospitalized or worse and then who would be there to take care of him?

Also, it sounds like you have been vitamin deficient for awhile. Has your dr recommended anything to help turn all of that around? Also, is it your family dr or your bariatric surgeon who runs the panels?

Hello everyone hope all is well. I am so depressed and eating completely out of control I had my GBRY Surgery 12/2004 I was doing fine up until my company closed. Lost so much between family members and finances. That was the trigger. I need to gain control of my life Now. I just began taking b-12 sub again I was taking probiotics expensive with Covid-19 and unable to maintain a diet it Is very hard. I have gained.... Tonight I was trying to find a way to get info to get back on track all I could think of was going back to Black board where it all started. protein smoothies, soups and snacks in between. so I look up groups in my position dealing with weight gain post of surgery years later. Thank goodness I found this group.
I want to know is it possible to loose the weight again by walking the 30 min twice a day incorporating the the smoothies and soups like before.
Advice much appreciated

It's rare to find someone with Hashimoto's unless you're looking, and I just noticed you and another member, WWWindy, both have it! I mentioned that I had Graves' Disease in a few other posts. I'm so sorry you were incorrectly dosed. I never realized how serious thyroid disease was because when I was growing up around fat people, they always claimed they had thyroid problems, which they didn't. And you haven't lived until you've had a thyroid storm!

The interactions of thyroid replacement hormone with other meds and supplements you routinely take has to be documented and monitored carefully. Miss D gave you some really good information and I'm backing her up here. If you honestly think you're only getting 10 grams of protein in a day, you need to find a solution, and fast. If you don't have enough protein, malabsorption will turn into malnutrition and you may not be able to reverse it in time. That's why this procedure involves a dietitian or nutritionist, and why there are SO MANY recipe books available.

But before you try to do something as involved as specialized cooking, get that protein in. Eat tablespoons of peanut butter. Choke down eggs, any way you can consume them, and lots of cheese, including cottage cheese, and yogurt with high protein content. I personally don't think you need to worry about calories right now because you may be starving yourself to death without protein.

A lot of us feel really messed up after surgery because we don't know what to eat, or we think we can't drink enough water. I think most of that comes from post-op depression and your old buddy, Eating Disorder. If you're in the fix you're describing, you need to give up your will to a written menu and journal, and force yourself to eat and drink according to schedule. The more problems you have, the MORE problems you'll have!

Can you ask your doctor for a metabolic blood panel? I think you really need it, and right away. You are probably dealing with deficiencies you don't even know about. Fortunately, these are easily seen in bloodwork and a lot of physical problems can be managed with diet. And you will be able to stand the food you eat, though meat may never love you again. There is protein in everything, including vegetables, so please don't let this go on any longer.

See your doc, get that CBC, look online for high-protein diets that are tailored for post-op bariatric clients. You probably have to take small steps, but the important thing is that those steps have to go in the opposite direction now.

Please hang out & let us know how you're doing. This could be the greatest time of your life, but you need to get over the hurdles first.
I also have Hashimoto's!

My weight was as follows
1/20 188lb
4/19 164lb
2/18 143lbI
7/17 135lb
Hi This is Star: You are very courageous. I read your beginning thread about going to Mexico for a lot of surgeries. I changed forums, since I am 16yrs post op. I think you read my 3 threads. I may be able to help you, tell me again what you have done pre op to now. I seem to be the longest pre op, few responses in other forum. I too am In bed now and right after b surgery. I am thinking of changing to a forum site which will be able to help me and vice versa. Iam very worried for you, and what these surgeries may hurt you body and mind. Especially your mind and thoughts. It's not my intention to scare or hurt you, although l wish I would have had someone to help me along thru the recovery process. This is what l wish, someone out there who can help me, guide me to information, so l may reduce , or eliminate,my pain and suffering, to eventually get out of bed and live a better life.

Hello everyone hope all is well. I am so depressed and eating completely out of control I had my GBRY Surgery 12/2004 I was doing fine up until my company closed. Lost so much between family members and finances. That was the trigger. I need to gain control of my life Now. I just began taking b-12 sub again I was taking probiotics expensive with Covid-19 and unable to maintain a diet it Is very hard. I have gained.... Tonight I was trying to find a way to get info to get back on track all I could think of was going back to Black board where it all started. protein smoothies, soups and snacks in between. so I look up groups in my position dealing with weight gain post of surgery years later. Thank goodness I found this group.
I want to know is it possible to loose the weight again by walking the 30 min twice a day incorporating the the smoothies and soups like before.
Advice much appreciated
Have you also been getting any psych support? You may be in the middle of a serious depression and even the best intentions can't win over that. I've recently increased my anti-anxiety meds because of this virus pandemic and know my triggers all too well. There's only strength in reaching out for help when you need it!

Anyhow, I remember my doctor saying only eat when hungry. Well with everything going on I haven't been wanting to eat. So shouldn't I have lost weight?
6years, according to the website here you haven't been online since the 6th of February. I hope you are doing better and have found some answers. You have such a complex array of issues. I would love to know how you're doing today.

I have Hashimotos with the tendency towards hypo, but I have run into hyper on occasion. My endocrinologist is on board with my surgery, which I haven’t had yet, but he wants to monitor my levels closely. The counselor I saw for pre surgery recommended bypass over sleeve when I explained how many times I’ve tried to lose weight to no avail. Also, I’m prediabetic, so the bypass would have better long term benefits. I have been maintaining over 50 grams of protein a day. But, I have to try really hard to get there. I usually get help from a protein shake. Stress, the incorrect synthroid dose, and lack of protein can all contribute to weight gain. Maybe try protein water if you don’t like meat. What about beans? They’re pretty high in protein.

I have Hashimotos with the tendency towards hypo, but I have run into hyper on occasion. My endocrinologist is on board with my surgery, which I haven’t had yet, but he wants to monitor my levels closely. The counselor I saw for pre surgery recommended bypass over sleeve when I explained how many times I’ve tried to lose weight to no avail. Also, I’m prediabetic, so the bypass would have better long term benefits. I have been maintaining over 50 grams of protein a day. But, I have to try really hard to get there. I usually get help from a protein shake. Stress, the incorrect synthroid dose, and lack of protein can all contribute to weight gain. Maybe try protein water if you don’t like meat. What about beans? They’re pretty high in protein.
Honestly, if I don't subsidize with at least 1 protein shake a day, I do't get enough protein. The Premier chocolate ones have 30 grams for 160 calories, 1 gram sugar and 5 grams carbs. Not great tasting but I can get it down and then I know I'm halfway to goal for the day.

Brenda, you are the very picture of compliance, no matter what. Your determination to reach your lifetime goals is admirable and especially when I read something like this where are you will eat something you don't really like in order to make your protein goal. I hope everyone makes a note of this because it is so important.:cool:

Honestly, if I don't subsidize with at least 1 protein shake a day, I do't get enough protein. The Premier chocolate ones have 30 grams for 160 calories, 1 gram sugar and 5 grams carbs. Not great tasting but I can get it down and then I know I'm halfway to goal for the day.
My dietician reminded me that I don’t have to drink it all at once, but I find it easier just to get over with lol I need to order the premier protein water to see how that tastes.

Honestly, if I don't subsidize with at least 1 protein shake a day, I do't get enough protein.

Well sister, I am now in your sorority. I purchased two four-packs of Premier Protein at the store. One was chocolate and the other was vanilla. I don't know why I bought the chocolate because you said it didn't taste very good and I really have a problem with bad tasting chocolate. I am a chocolate snob. There are very few times in my life that I have received chocolate and felt like I was going to go to heaven while I was eating it. And as a child I was raised on Dutch Chocolate because we are Dutch oh, so I never had any desire for dark chocolate, and I still don't. I don't like chocolate chip cookies either. I hate brownies. Can go either way with chocolate cake. Chocolate frosting well-made, yeah. And yes I do love homemade fudge. And I think I gained a lot of weight after my boyfriend-Future-Husband introduced me to the milk chocolate Dove Bar. Oh my God. I take back that comment I made about heaven. I don't know how many times I convinced him to go out to the store and bring home some Dove Bars. Oh and I like hot chocolate but only with marshmallows.

As a cook and a foodie, I think I can do something with the vanilla by using extracts. Maybe I can make it taste like butterscotch. If I could figure out a way to make it taste like eggnog, I would be in hog heaven. I wish I had bought bananas at the store today because I'm guessing I could stomach either one of these if I blended them up with a half a banana.

Raspberries and chocolate were made for each other so that would be a very palatable smoothie for me if I had raspberries. I feel certain that I can get other fruit, like peaches, to mix with the vanilla for a smoothie.

And on that note, let me give a nod to all the people who have posted smoothie recipesto our forum. I'm going to go look at those and I might be mixing in a teaspoon of orange Jell-O powder so I can pretend I'm having a creamsicle.

They ARE bloody expensive though, aren't they? $10 for a four pack. Maybe if I get the hang of doctoring them up, I'll look into buying in bulk.

Back