• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Gain due to Birth control post Gastric Bypass

Mistyjl

Hello Ladies!

I am new to this group and I’m hoping to Hear from someone in a similar or same situation as myself. I’ve recently gained about 24lbs in just under 2 months due to my birth control- the MIRENA- and I can not shed the extra pounds. I was placed on the contraceptive to help control Menorrhagia before resorting to surgery. Within the first 5 days I gained 7lbs and from then on it was packing on fast! I finally have back the Butt that I lost post op, but man I’m not as excited as I thought I’d be. Haha. My gynecologist insisted it wasn’t the device although my lifestyle had not changed and my eating habits were exactly the same prior to the insertion. Fast forward just about 2 months into having it placed that I insisted it be removed. Once removed, I lost 11lbs within the first 2 weeks and then I hit a plateau. (It’s been just shy of 3 months since removed) I’ve increased my activity level, calorie intake and I’m conscious of what I consume. Going from a 6/8 to a 14/16 in under 2 months not only makes me disgusted with my body but it really does a number on my mental state. I’ve worked really hard to maintain my weight loss over the last 9 years. I’ve birthed 2 children since my surgery and lost the baby weight both times.
My goal is to feel better about myself as well as fit back into all of my clothes from just 5 months ago. Mama is on a budget!
I’m hoping to gain some ideas on what has worked for you to kick start a plateau as well as to know I’m not alone and I didn’t fail the surgery...

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
-Misty

Hi Misty, welcome! Even though your birth control thread really only applies to women, I wanted to point out in case you didn't know that there are a few men here. Brothers in Arms! Talk later

Hi Misty, welcome! Even though your birth control thread really only applies to women, I wanted to point out in case you didn't know that there are a few men here. Brothers in Arms! Talk later
Hi. Yes I’m quiet aware of that. Why did you feel the need to point that out?

When did you have weight loss surgery, what type was it, and how much weight have you lost? Are you close to your goal?

Back