• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Gain Prior to Surgery

cadams

I began the journey of surgical weight loss the last part of 2020/the first part of 2021. Thus far, I have attended a seminar on the different type of surgical procedures, met with the surgeon to discuss my specific situation, the nutritionist twice, the exercise physiologist and completed the psych evaluation. I still have one more appointment with the nutritionist which is scheduled for the first of June. At this point, I thought I had gained clearance from everyone except for nutritional.

I spoke to the scheduling coordinator last week to determine a tentative date for the surgery and she indicated that in addition to the clearance from nutrition, I needed to have my TSH level rechecked (as it was rather high the last time they checked it) and I needed to weigh in (to ensure that I hadn’t gained weight due to insurance guidelines).

I stopped by the clinic today to have my lab work completed and to weigh in. I was rather upset when I saw that I had GAINED 4.2 pounds since the last time I weighed in. The interesting thing is I weighed in at the weight loss clinic on February 26th and I weighed 274. I weighed in at a different doctor’s office (within the same hospital system/same type of scale) the same day and weighed 280. I had become very sedentary over the last couple of years due to some back issues and I struggled to do daily chores. I recently had an injection in my SI joint and have been able to start being more active. I’ve started mowing my lawn (push mowing almost ½ acre), walking at least 1 mile per day, gardening, and some light strength training. I’ve also been eating better as well so I’m completely discouraged that I gained weight.

I have reached back out to the clinic to determine if there is room for fluctuations in weight (due to scale differences, muscle weight versus fat weight, etc.) and while I’m waiting to hear back from them, I’m starting to get super nervous and wonder if I will be able to have surgery any time soon.

I know that requirements can differ depending on insurance companies however has anyone encountered this and if so, did it delay your surgery?

That’s not a huge gain, and there can be explanations for it. Your clothes and shoes could weigh more, water weight, the exercise you are doing could be promoting muscle building which will increase weight a little. Even having a saltier than normal meal the day before could make you retain water. See what they say, but try not to stress about it too much. You could weigh in next week at something less.

I wouldn't let it worry you but what you could do is start eating your food on smaller plates thereby reducing the amount you are eating (especially at dinner). Try replacing breakfast or lunch with a protein shake or eat a salad for lunch. Do small changes and before you know it, those will add up to results.

That’s not a huge gain, and there can be explanations for it. Your clothes and shoes could weigh more, water weight, the exercise you are doing could be promoting muscle building which will increase weight a little. Even having a saltier than normal meal the day before could make you retain water. See what they say, but try not to stress about it too much. You could weigh in next week at something less.
Thank you for calming my fears some! I have found this group to be extremely supportive and I really appreciate your response.

I wouldn't let it worry you but what you could do is start eating your food on smaller plates thereby reducing the amount you are eating (especially at dinner). Try replacing breakfast or lunch with a protein shake or eat a salad for lunch. Do small changes and before you know it, those will add up to results.
Portion control IS really a big part of this. I don't think I realized what/how much I was eating until I started keeping up with a food journal.

Thank you for the input! This group is a great source of information and everyone seems to be extremely knowledgeable and most importantly helpful!

Most of the programs have dealt with all the different types of insurance several times and will know what is a deal breaker. IF (and that's a big IF!) your 4lb gain is a deal breaker, you could very easily lose it before you next appointment and they will apply after that. Also, I believe the requirement is usually you cannot have gained weight since your first appointment, not your last one. It's the downward trend that is most important, as weight does fluctuate, more when you're heavier. Stay positive and don't freak yourself out needlessly. Good luck!

Back