• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight gain

Blakleykl

I am only eating enough to stay around 300 calories and I have gained 2 pounds. I am so confused. I should be losing weight. I am on puréed foods and my protein shake. I anm 3 weeks out from surgery. Anyone else experiencing this?

You're not eating enough! Your body is noticing that you are literally STARVING. So It's trying to keep you alive by hanging on to necessary nutrients.

What you're doing is VERY dangerous. Contact your dietician immediately and get a balanced diet in place. You don't lose weight by starving yourself. You damage your organs, cause all kinds of permanent mental deficits and eventually, you die.

If you're really obese, you have tons of time and methods to take off a pound here and an ounce there, and when that happens, your metabolism adapts and you start losing regularly and consistently.

You are NOT a medical professional, even if you're a doctor or nurse. There's much more to the science of diet than physical change.

You absolutely are not getting enough protein. Each gram of protein has 9 calories. At 300 calories a day, you are getting approx 35. idk what your doctor recommended for you but the usual is 50-80.

I know it can be difficult to eat anything in the early stages. So, some practical tips to help you get your protein and hopefully restart your weight loss.

Only 'eat' thru your food stages at dinner. So protein shake/smoothie/pudding for breakfast and lunch. Puree for dinner. With meat, cheese, eggs or beans. Something that has lots of protein.

Add a protein water to your daily water intake.

Meal Prep. Have your meals, snacks, waters ready to go. It helps to see what you'll get have today. Or have to get thru, if you're having a hard time lol Take the time to make some protein pudding, smoothies, popsicles, frozen yogurts whatever you like. ( just add a scoop of protein powder to basically anything to add protein.) Look for recipes online or here and prepare your foods.

Most importantly, stay calm. A few pounds of fluctuation or a stall is not failure and is 100% going to happen. More than lol once. Work the plan and it will work for you. That is also 100% true. You're doing fine. Make the necessary adjustments and hang in there.

You're not eating enough! Your body is noticing that you are literally STARVING. So It's trying to keep you alive by hanging on to necessary nutrients.

What you're doing is VERY dangerous. Contact your dietician immediately and get a balanced diet in place. You don't lose weight by starving yourself. You damage your organs, cause all kinds of permanent mental deficits and eventually, you die.

If you're really obese, you have tons of time and methods to take off a pound here and an ounce there, and when that happens, your metabolism adapts and you start losing regularly and consistently.

You are NOT a medical professional, even if you're a doctor or nurse. There's much more to the science of diet than physical change.
I’m sorry you don’t agree with my dietitian but they told me to start with 300 calories ( mostly protein ) and move up eventually to 600 calories. I am still on the puréed/beginning soft food stage. I am eating 1/4 cup per meal.

You absolutely are not getting enough protein. Each gram of protein has 9 calories. At 300 calories a day, you are getting approx 35. idk what your doctor recommended for you but the usual is 50-80.

I know it can be difficult to eat anything in the early stages. So, some practical tips to help you get your protein and hopefully restart your weight loss.

Only 'eat' thru your food stages at dinner. So protein shake/smoothie/pudding for breakfast and lunch. Puree for dinner. With meat, cheese, eggs or beans. Something that has lots of protein.

Add a protein water to your daily water intake.

Meal Prep. Have your meals, snacks, waters ready to go. It helps to see what you'll get have today. Or have to get thru, if you're having a hard time lol Take the time to make some protein pudding, smoothies, popsicles, frozen yogurts whatever you like. ( just add a scoop of protein powder to basically anything to add protein.) Look for recipes online or here and prepare your foods.

Most importantly, stay calm. A few pounds of fluctuation or a stall is not failure and is 100% going to happen. More than lol once. Work the plan and it will work for you. That is also 100% true. You're doing fine. Make the necessary adjustments and hang in there.
I get 50 to 60 grams of protein per day. That is the goal my dietitian set for me. I drink 2 protein shakes, chicken salad or tuna salad, eggs. I also try to get in at least 48 + ounces of fluid. They wanted me to start out at 300 calories and slowly increase to 600 right now. I know the dangers of purposely not eating enough to lose more weight I know someone who did that.

I get 50 to 60 grams of protein per day. That is the goal my dietitian set for me. I drink 2 protein shakes, chicken salad or tuna salad, eggs. I also try to get in at least 48 + ounces of fluid. They wanted me to start out at 300 calories and slowly increase to 600 right now. I know the dangers of purposely not eating enough to lose more weight I know someone who did that.

I'm not great at math, but if you eat all that in a day, you're getting way more than 300 calories. So maybe clarity is the problem here. Are you saying you only eat 300 calories a day, or per meal?

Anyway, if you do a bit of research, you'll find dozens of variations on the post-op diet recommendations all over the internet. Personally, I have always relied on the USDA/FDA government sites for the most accurate information.

Would you mind responding again, and please feel free to ask your dietician to chime in as well, to help us make sure we're understanding your points? We've all been through this, many of us for years, even decades, and I think we're pretty well informed. So if someone appears to be saying s/he's eating only 300 calories of food IN A DAY, as opposed to in a meal, red flags are going to fly. And I believe those who have commented are really concerned for YOU and your health, which is why we ask.

Apologies if somehow I/we have misunderstood you. We're a good group with kind people and we really want to support you.

And just FYI, there's a great deal of fraud in this field, and we've seen it here in this group. Your numbers aren't adding up right, so I hope you aren't heading in a dangerous direction.

I'm not great at math, but if you eat all that in a day, you're getting way more than 300 calories. So maybe clarity is the problem here. Are you saying you only eat 300 calories a day, or per meal?

Anyway, if you do a bit of research, you'll find dozens of variations on the post-op diet recommendations all over the internet. Personally, I have always relied on the USDA/FDA government sites for the most accurate information.

Would you mind responding again, and please feel free to ask your dietician to chime in as well, to help us make sure we're understanding your points? We've all been through this, many of us for years, even decades, and I think we're pretty well informed. So if someone appears to be saying s/he's eating only 300 calories of food IN A DAY, as opposed to in a meal, red flags are going to fly. And I believe those who have commented are really concerned for YOU and your health, which is why we ask.

Apologies if somehow I/we have misunderstood you. We're a good group with kind people and we really want to support you.

And just FYI, there's a great deal of fraud in this field, and we've seen it here in this group. Your numbers aren't adding up right, so I hope you aren't heading in a dangerous direction.
I am following the instructions of my surgeon’s dietitian and she told me to start out with. 300 calories and build up to 600 through this stage. Once I start on a regular diet I will be getting more calories. I am only concerned because it seems I have hit a stall already. The protein shakes they have me on are only 125 calories per serving and the chicken salad and tuna salad are only 1/4 cup servings. They have me slowly increasing my calories each week. I am only on my 3rd week post op. I can’t eat much at one time.

I am following the instructions of my surgeon’s dietitian and she told me to start out with. 300 calories and build up to 600 through this stage. Once I start on a regular diet I will be getting more calories. I am only concerned because it seems I have hit a stall already. The protein shakes they have me on are only 125 calories per serving and the chicken salad and tuna salad are only 1/4 cup servings. They have me slowly increasing my calories each week. I am only on my 3rd week post op. I can’t eat much at one time.
I was given specific written instructions and at least 3 follow-up dietician appointments 16 years ago. I was told I could only have liquids for the first two weeks,, then semi-solids like applesauce and cream soup in the 3rd week and solids in the 4th week. Four more weeks of mostly soft ;ole scrambled eggs and cream soups and some solids for a total of 8 weeks of restriction. I had a good team and lost 35 pounds the first month and 25 pounds the second month. I was also recruited into a national AMA study where I was weighed, measured, and put through walking exercises in the hospital for 7 years after surgery.

Programs do vary widely. You might want to find the recipe for Magic Milk I've posted here. It was given to me by my dietician and doubled my protein intake. I think the alarming thing about your initial post was the miniscule numbers, especially because they weren't broken down by number of meals or types of food consumption. Many people eat six times a day while on liquid and semi-solids. But I'm positive it's way too early for you to be eating solid foods right now. You can look that up. I don't feel like I'm exaggerating when I use the word "dangerous."

In almost 2 decades I've NEVER heard instructions like the ones you've been given. And it's kind of too late to say this, but I would have gotten a second opinion very quickly. The body REQUIRES a number of calories to function because it expends a number of calories to function. Also, it's not just calories, but the food groups you choose from in order to have a balanced diet. This is a very serious surgery which severely alters your digestive process and you're barely in the recovery phase. I can't figure it out, or how it is possible you gained two pounds.

Anyway, I encourage you to do additional research, beyond your dietician's instructions. I also hope many members of this very well-informed group add more scientific information. I'm honestly just interested in your health right now and your ultimate success and health outcomes. I've never heard a story like yours and there are a lot of phonies around who exploit people like us. Best of luck and health to you. Please update us as you go along.

Oh, one more thing. Because this is NOT a diet, but a lifestyle change forced by major surgery, the nutrition you'll be getting will be based on a journey to health that will last the rest of your life.

Remember the old riddle: Q: What's the difference between God and a doctor? A: God doesn't think he's a doctor.

I am trying to up my calorie intake today. I already have 453 calories and 43 grams of protein. I think I will get over 600 calories and over 60 grams of protein. I appreciate all your advice. Thank you

Congratulations! My target is generally 900 calories a day and 100 grams of protein. I also drink about a gallon of water every day, which accelerates weight loss and replaces any fluids you might lose because you're not taking in enough food with water in it.

I spoke to my dietitian yesterday and she told me that for the first 3 months I should only be getting no more than 600 calories I should strive for 60 grams of protein as well. She said I am in a stall but will begin to lose again within a couple weeks… not to worry.

Yes, you're in early days for sure. So your calories are not going to be the same as ours. And I shared bad info.

A gram of protein is only 4 calories. A gram of fat is 9 calories.

You should always follow your medical teams advice.

wrote::

Is there any of the moderators, because I can not answer a new topic?
Do you want to REPLY to a post written by someone else? See if you can reply to me by clicking on the word "Reply" down at the bottom of this box, all the way to the right.

When you click "Reply" a new box will pop up with your words in it.

Go to the end of your words and click your keyboard's ENTER key. A new, blank line will appear.

Start typing your response. When you finish, hit your TAB key and it will go to the "Post reply" box. Click that and your message will be sent.

If you want to start a new post, click on "What's new" in the upper bar and a new window will appear. Type your subject into the Subject box, then hit tab and the cursor will go to the new blank window. Start typing your content and click on the "Post reply" down below. It will send your post to the group.

It's simplest to start at the home page:

On that page, click "General Chat." Then just follow the prompts.

It's so easy that it's hard to explain! Your goal is either to Reply to an existing post or start a new post.

For more info, click here: Beginners Guide to Getting Started on the Forums

If this doesn't answerr your questions, ask more questions. Keep trying. Other members will also contribute, I'm sure.

I am only eating enough to stay around 300 calories and I have gained 2 pounds. I am so confused. I should be losing weight. I am on puréed foods and my protein shake. I anm 3 weeks out from surgery. Anyone else experiencing this?
You're in a stall. It's normal and will pass. I've been on two so far. First one was three weeks out and the second one started 2 weeks ago. I'm three months out. They told me to expect these stalls and just stay the course. It's hard though!

Back