• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Gain

Melissa74

I am getting ready to have my last visit to be able to schedule my surgery, however I have gained weight since my first visit. I have tried to change my ways of eating and cutting out certain foods, drinks, etc. I had to quit smoking in order to be able to have the surgery so I know most of it is probably displacement. The big problem is that I go August 9th for the last visit and I cannot have gained weight from the first visit, which I have. I have been given medication to help, however it does not really do much for me. I am nervous that I will not be able to get this additional wait off before my visit. If anyone has been in the same situation or just has some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

I am getting ready to have my last visit to be able to schedule my surgery, however I have gained weight since my first visit. I have tried to change my ways of eating and cutting out certain foods, drinks, etc. I had to quit smoking in order to be able to have the surgery so I know most of it is probably displacement. The big problem is that I go August 9th for the last visit and I cannot have gained weight from the first visit, which I have. I have been given medication to help, however it does not really do much for me. I am nervous that I will not be able to get this additional wait off before my visit. If anyone has been in the same situation or just has some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
My insurance had that requirement as well when I started in January, but since has amended their requirements, and they do not consider weight gain anymore. However, my surgeons office does worry about it because it can raise questions about seriousness to the lifestyle change. What does your dietician recommend? Will they keep you on the program for longer until they see a weight reduction? If your insurance requires no weight gain, it might be denied, but not forever. They should give you the opportunity to lose. What do you think has caused your weight gain? You’re here wanting help, so I think you are committed to change. There are a lot of reasons we gain weight, and some of them are not our fault. I had an appointment where I gained a couple pounds in 2 weeks, and I told the dietician that I was on my period, so I didn’t care about that weigh in, and she marked it in my chart. I was down the next weigh in, so it really didn’t matter too much.

I quite smoking 2 months ago as it was required by the surgeon and insurance company. I think I have substituted food for times when I would normally smoke. I think I am snacking more at home than I do at work, possibly due to boredom. I am not very active right now because my knees limit what I can do as well as my back.

There are a lot of people here who quit smoking for the surgery. I think you’ll find a lot of help from them. Snacking isn’t always bad, but it depends on what you snack on. If I’m feeling snacky I go drink water first and then wait a while. If I’m still hungry 20 minutes later I decide if I should have a snack or meal. Sometimes I just have a protein shake, and that’s good for me. I am horrible at tradition food tracking, so my counselor told me to just write down what I ate in a day. I usually will measure my foods (cereal especially) every Monday to make sure I’m not pouring in more than I’m supposed to have. It’s just a small way I keep on track.

I am nervous that I will not be able to get this additional wait off before my visit.

Hi Melissa. Welcome to the group. Your concern actually underscores the classic mindset you find in an eating disorder. You couldn't follow the pre-op diet for whatever reasons, and now you are panicking, wanting a quick fix which would be attained only by unhealthy dieting, probably fasting. I'll bet 90% of the members here have been in the same fix.

People focus on the pre-op diet as being a "liver shrinking" tool, for the benefit of the surgeon who has to navigate around your organs. But that's not the real reason you're on a pre-op diet.

If I were in your shoes, I would most likely contact my surgeon immediately and explain what has happened and why you think it has happened. Your surgeon might simply elect to make a note of it in your chart, or he or she might instead postpone your appointment and instruct you to go back to the pre-op diet and follow it for at least two weeks.

If only for the liver-shrinking aspect of the pre-op diet, your surgeon would want to have that room in your abdomen in which to operate.

But I think it's more important, and probably required by insurance, that you demonstrate the ability to follow a healthy eating plan.

If you were given a pre-op diet in writing, I would immediately go back to the first step and observe it religiously. This is what you're going to have to do after surgery anyway, and if you can't follow a healthy eating plan, what is the point of having the surgery? It's not a Magic Bullet. You will not lose weight unless you use it as a tool to eat less. You also need to learn to eat fewer carbohydrates and more protein, and you need to add water to your daily diet.

They usually recommend 64 Oz at minimum, and drinking water does not add water weight to your total weight number. You cannot gain weight by drinking water. Water has no calories. And it is true that water flushes the fat out of your body and gives assistance to your metabolism so you can lose more weight more quickly.

Rather than looking for a way out with a quickie diet, your inability to keep weight off or following eating plan is an important element of your eating disorder and its pathologies. Your Dr needs to know that this is happening to you.

Of course, we all understand your struggle right now. But it is important to allow self-honesty to come to the forefront of your fight with obesity.

So I think you need to ask yourself if you are capable of using this tool and following a healthy eating plan for the rest of your life.

We have all been in the same situation, where we had to control multiple addiction. And the eating disorder Goblin is going to try to trip you up every second of every minute of every hour of every day. It is tenacious and constant. And it doesn't all go away because you had surgery. It goes away because you were able to change the focus of your brain from crazy eating to health.

Usually, me eating disorder functions best when you have low self-esteem. Even at your current weight, the most powerful thing you can do is believe in your own Beauty and your pursuit of Health. It is incredibly hard to do this, even if you are motivated by fear or a vision of your true self in the future.

Just so I don't have to write it all over again, I am going to refer you to a resource I am currently working on. I recommend a book and actively using the book as a way to have more positive feelings about yourself and less negative self-image.

Best of luck to you! We are really pulling for you because we all understand what you're going through. But at this time, the best thing you can do is practice honesty with yourself and with your medical team. They need to know what's going on with you.

Hang around and read our posts and please speak up and let us know how you're doing. You cannot possibly post too many of your feelings. We exist to help and support you. We are listening.

First off, Congrats on quitting smoking, as that is hard as hell. I was super glad that I had already quit smoking before I ever elected to have surgery. I have no idea how they expect you to quit smoking AND lose weight. Even the skinniest people gain when they quit smoking. And 2 months isn't that long. So .. oral fixation tips. Cut straws into cigarette size and chew on them. This works in 2 ways. It keeps something in your hand, which you were used to and it moves it constantly to your mouth, which you were also used to. Chew gum. You'll have to quit after surgery but hey, you gotta GET there first right?!? My insurance would not approve surgery if I had gained from my 1st doctors visit. So you may have to wait until you have lost a few pounds before they approve you. Do not become discouraged. You have quit smoking, which is a major health accomplishment. You can do this too. If it is a few pounds, everyone who has ever dieted knows how to drop a few quickly .. give up all carbs. If it's more then a few, then you may have to work at it a few more months until you prove that you can make a lasting lifestyle change. Either way, stay on your journey. Good luck!

Back